Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PreOp diet/appointments advice

I have my pre op appointments (Upper GI, Esophogram, X-Ray, EKG, and bloodwork) on Monday (9/20). Anything I should prepare myself for? I've heard horror stories about the Upper GI - I'm hoping that since all my appointmens are scheduled in one day it's the "easy" version...

Also, I've been doing SO much research on this for the past 3 years, I feel like I have a PhD in Lap-Band... I honestly don't know what questions I should be asking the surgeon... totally clueless.

Also, i'm due to start my diet 9/20 (through 10/8) and I get to "choose my own diet", one that has been successful in the past... 3 years ago I lost 30 on South Beach, but recently I've done it a few times and lost 0-barely any pounds... any suggestions for more successful pre-op diet... I was thinking maybe blending SBD with hardcore Slim Fast diet (3 slim fasts plus one small, meaty meal - ZERO carbs & Sugars (as possible)... and i do want all liquid at least 2-3 days before surgery since I don't want the Milk of Magnesia "cleanse" the day before to keep me out of work...this sound do-able?

First of all, congrads on your appeal and win!

How stressful it must have been to finally make the decision to do this then not get the support from your insurance company.

Ok, so first let me comment on your tests.. Having just gone through them myself last week-its not that bad-so dont get yourself too worked up over it. However, if they find something wrong, like in my case i had galstones in my galbladder-those have to be removed first, before they band you. Most people who are obese will have galstones. My dr said about 85% of people who have the insurance required ultrasound (not xray) will have galstones. I was hoping they would take out the galbladder and do the lap band at the same time.. Nope. You have to have at least a two week break in between surgeries. This is in order to make sure there is no bile running into your stomach which would cause you to throw up if the lap band was on. On the bright side, the galbladder removal is the most common surgery done today. The only reason im telling you this is so you are prepared -as chances are you will need to get that removed.

Ok, so for the pre op diet which i start next week-here is what i was told:

14 day partial liquid diet:

Breakfast and lunck-

any protien drink as long as its mixed with Water, not milk, like slim fast fruit flavors. Diet juices (not soda), broth based soups-no meat or chunks/veggies.,other options are Optifast, iso pure, myoplex, and whey powder which you can find at any vatamin store like gmc.

Dinner: Very lean chicken breast with no skin, or fish. Broiled or baked. Not fried or broth liquids. If you can stand it, you could still do the slim fast option for all three meals. No veggies, no beef or pork. You need 20/30 grams of serving for each meal if you do powder drinks only.

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you and what your experience was!

Its important that you do this for two weeks without cheating as my dr states you will have complications at surgery.

This is just what my print out says from my dr. He never gave me a "diet option"-GOOD LUCK!

Do bloodwork FIRST! YOu have to drink chalky sweet stuff for the upper GI so if you do that first you will mess with the results of your bloodwork since you have to fast for your bloodwork. I did the GI first and got turned away for the bloodwork and had to go back another day.

Ask your doctor if they do a first fill on the operating table and if so how much?

Where do they plan to have your port incision site?

How many lap bands have they done in career, annually, and monthly?

How often do they have to correct flipped ports and how can you keep from having a flipped port?

How will they help you manage your post surgery pain? Will you get medication?

What foods should you have on hand for your first 2 weeks home and where do they suggest you buy them? (my doctor's dietician brought me 2 weeks worth of Protein drinks, Soups, and shakes to the hospital)

What Vitamins should you have on hand to take daily?

Hmmm... I had my Upper GI scheduled (by the office) at 8am, and blood at 1030 am... hopefully the scheduler realized this and it is fine... Barium isn't absorbed into blood, so hopefully don't need another blood draw. It was a freakish ton of vials...

By the way... i don't know if this is common, or a result of my really high gag reflex... but that was the worst thing i've ever experienced.... the doctor almost called it off it was going so poorly. Why did they have to make the barium so thick? it was barely liquid... maybe they mixed it too early?