Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please help me understand what my fiance' may be going through?

Hi folks. My fiance' recently had lap band surgery in Mexico. We live in Canada and the medical professionals here don't seem to be too happy to help her. She is running into problems like not being able to have a fluoroscopy at her first fill, in order to ensure that everything is still ok inside of her. She is being made to feel like a leper just because she chose to have her surgery done in Mexico (with the same skill level and the same brand and type of band as she would have had in Canada). She keeps speaking about how alone she feels right now with regard to her current situation, and I don't blame her for feeling that way at all. What I'm looking for is some insight into the emotional toll this can take on a person. I want to understand and support her through all of this as best I can. Any help would be appreciated.....by both of us.

Thank you.

Not having a fluoroscopy is not really as bad as she fiancee thinks. In Australia all fills are done without them unless there is some kind of problem. I have never had an issue. I understand that she wants to be sure everything is still in place but there is no real reason that it shouldn't be.

Hope it goes well.

My surgeon (Lahey Clinic - highly regarded Boston area hospital) does not do fluoroscopy for fills.

Unfortunately, it's really common for doctors to be reluctant to care for patients they did not band themselves.

Usually, with time, a great working relationship can be established, though.

I'd encourage your fiancee to look for the doctor with the BEST aftercare program (support group, good dietary recommendations--and support---and so on) rather than simply someone who uses fluoroscopy.

My doctor does use fluoroscopy with each fill--and it's nice to know that things are where they should be.

But the fact of the matter is that most doctors do NOT---and that does not make their care sub-par.

A good doctor will know when it's appropriate to order fluoroscopy, if he does not routinely use it.

But really, there is no inherent need for it. Better to start by narrowing the physician field first by (a) doctors who are willing to provide aftercare to patients they did not band, and (:smile2: doctors whose groups provide the best aftercare.

(It's too bad that these were not preoperative priorities. I wish the doctors who operated in Mexico networked better with doctors in the U.S. and Canada, so that there was more of a partnership, and aftercare were easier to establish.)

As for the feeling of aloneness--this is really common postoperatively. Not just after banding, but after any procedure for which there is preop anticipation. The postop letdown is very real--and it is very common to feel ...well, abandoned.

Part of this is physiological. Our bodies go through a lot, and the meds, Fluid shifts, hormone shifts (fat tissue is mildly estrogenic, and losing relatively rapidly increased serum estrogen levels, which can contribute to emotional upheaval), etc---well, they contribute to the problem.

It's very difficult, but it is generally short-lived. Finding a good doctor will help relieve some of the anxiety.

Edited by BetsyB

My doc only used a fluro the first time I got a fill. After that, it's just been a regular fill on the table.

I'm lucky that my band doc is literally 5 minutes from my house. I am not sure how I would handle that but I would check out forums and encourage her to join up so that she can "talk" with other Bandsters, too. We're a welcoming group because all of us are in the same boat. I'm sure someone will know a good fill doc that she can use near her, because I know there are a number of Canadians on the boards.

And their treating her like a leper really ticks me off. It's called "SUPPORT" and these are supposed to be medical PROFESSIONALS. It's like a high school pissing contest. Ugh.

Sorry she is having a hard time..:)

I got my Lap Band done in Mexico by Dr. Kuri. He has a network of doctors all over the world that perform followup..

I have not had any fluro..My follow up doc looked at the xray that Dr. Kuri took and that was it..

Have her send me an email if she would like to talk..She's not alone :D

I would have her call the doc's office in Mexico and see what they suggesr. Good luck :))