Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The only reason the docs are pushing so much Protein, is because it helps build lean tissue that burns the fat. I would be more concern about your calorie count. It seems that a 1000 cal/day would be a small amount for a 330 man, you may have tricked your body into starvation mode.:thumbup: At my meeting with the nutritionist she recommended I eat 1200-1400 calories/per day,( I weigh 237) because my metabolism is on the high side, and because I only have 1 kidney, she told me to keep my Protein in the normal range of 45-50 grams. If you are nervous about dense protein, put it in a food processor and grind it up a little, not sure if I could go with out meat. BEEF it's what's for dinner!! :thumbup:

Talk with your doc, or a nutritionist see what they have to say.

DUDE eat your potatoes and enjoy them.:tt1:

Good luck.

I subscribe to realage.com who have some really interesting articles.

I just received my newsletter and it has an article in it on a carb that you should be eating as it is really good at helping to prevent strokes.

Eat This Carb to Prevent Strokes - Health Tip - RealAge

No prizes for correctly guessing which carb it is!

I am from the US and yes we push Protein like crazy here. However, I think you are okay and will progress to eating more Protein as its gets easier for you to eat. Soon you won't have to worry about protein as you get into the groove of healthy eating...You won't have to think about it as much because it will become part of your every day routine. Potatoes are okay to begin with, but be carefull. I would agree with the wasted calories....Congrats and keep up the fantastic work....

onenuttynurse

What are "jacket potatoes" ? I would assume that means baked potatoes, but don't know.

We are told to avoid white carbs .. potatoes, bread, rice, Pasta as they tend to be high glycemic and will tend to make us hungrier sooner. That being said, I have learned that new potatoes (aka red potatoes) are fairly low on the GI/GL list and I will have a small one now & then with green Beans. If the OP can eat baked potatoes and not have them spike his blood sugar and make him too hungry a few hours later.. GREAT. Everyone has to do what works for them as an individual.

One of the bariatric nurses I know and I value her advice as she has been banded 11 years and has done very well.. says to be successful with banding...follow most of the rules most of the time. Persistence, not perfection.

In My Opinion...If something is working for the individual.. weight loss is adequate and they are not hungry more often than 3 or 4 hours..great. Otherwise, it may be time to look at diet or exercise and make some adjustments.

The original poster was wondering if they were getting enough calories. They also said they were drinking unlimited coffees with semiskimmed milk & 2 sugars.

I would advise starting a food journal, either on paper or online (I like The Daily Plate on LIVESTRONG.COM - Calorie Counter, Weight Loss, food Calorie Counter, Nutrition Facts | LIVESTRONG.COM, but there are many others, fitday, caloriecount.about.com, fitday, fatsecret.com) and make sure to include EVERYTHING that goes in your mouth. :rolleyes2: You might find that those coffees are adding in more calories than you think.

If they truly are only getting in 1000 per day, that might not be enough for long term weight loss at the OP's current weight.

Bottom line is that we are unique individuals and we do not all have the same nutritional requirements. Put 10 people on the same diet and some will lose, others will not. Some will feel great, others will not. We all need to find what works best for each of us and quit judging what others do.

To the OP, your calories seem really low. I haven't seen any studies on men, but research has proven that women who eat a 1200 calorie diet lose weight faster and more consistently than those eating less. It has to do with the metabolism. The lower we drop our calories, the more efficient our bodies are at storing them. It's good that you're not hungry, but it may be you'll actually lose weight more quickly by increasing your calories to 1200.

U.S. doctors push 60-80gm Protein. AUS doctors don't. So what. The reality is that both groups are pushing whatever the latest 'thought' is within their respective nutritional communities...and both are guessing. Remember the food pyramid? In recent years, they've turned it on its head. I have no doubt in another 30 years, they'll change it again.

Listen to your body. It will tell you what it needs. If you aren't hungry and you're losing weight...if you have the energy (mental and physical) to live a normal active lifestyle...if you aren't sabotaging yourself with occasional binges because you feel deprived...if your health is good (hair not falling out, teeth loosening, other medical conditions aggravated by a bad diet)...then I say it's all good.

I could never eat your typical diet. First, I'd be starving! Second, the two baked potatoes (even one) would literally kill me because they'd drive my blood sugars crazy. As a diabetic I have to seriously control not only how many carbs I eat, but the type of carbs.

Here's my typical day and I average about 1200 calories a day.

B - Low carb/low cal Protein shake

Mid-morning - Protein Shake or fruit

L - 2-3 oz of Protein, 1 cup steamed low carb vegies, 1/4 cup carbs

Mid-morning - protein shake or fruit

S - Same as lunch

Mid-evening - protein shake, fruit or a sugarless pudding, or 1 little Dove dark chocolate. I keep the chocolate to only 1-2x per week and then only if I'm really craving it. I wouldn't recommend this to someone with little control over sweets.

Currently, I am not exercising and I'm averaging 2 lb per week...but you do whatever works for you.