Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am in my 4th week banded now and consider myself to be doing good. I am trying to eat mostly proteins: eggs, beef, ground turkey, Beans, etc. I'm content doing this, but, I have noticed multiple posts of "more experienced banders" that mention that they eat Pasta, rice and breads. These were "taboo" according to my surgeon and the nurse at the weight loss center. These were all foods that they said are likely to get stuck, so for now I am staying away, But I am wondering if someday I may be able to have a little pasta now and then...Pasta is a passion. I am staying away for sure right now to avoid a trigger:unsure:, but, is it safe to try a little now and then?

Thanks in advance for any and all comments

I am in my 4th week banded now and consider myself to be doing good. I am trying to eat mostly proteins: eggs, beef, ground turkey, Beans, etc.

I hope you're also eating some low carb veggies, such as broccoli, squash, green Beans. We need good carbs in our food plan.

I have noticed multiple posts of "more experienced banders" that mention that they eat Pasta, rice and breads. These were "taboo" according to my surgeon and the nurse at the weight loss center. These were all foods that they said are likely to get stuck, so for now I am staying away,

Not only are they candidates for getting stuck, these are also high glycemic foods. Foods high on the Glycemic list have the property of spiking the blood sugar up quickly and then allowing for a drastic fall.. making us HUNGRIER sooner. Not a good thing when we're trying to control hunger.

They also have a role in insulin resistance, but I don't have a good enough understanding of that to talk about it and not sound like an idiot. ::grin::

But I am wondering if someday I may be able to have a little Pasta now and then...Pasta is a passion. I am staying away for sure right now to avoid a trigger:unsure:, but, is it safe to try a little now and then?

Thanks in advance for any and all comments

Everyone is different.. but since you are only a little ways out from surgery and probably don't have much saline in your band.. if any at all.. you're less likely to get "stuck" now than later on after you start getting fills.

I still think it would be best to avoid pasta if at all possible. Along with the stuck and glycemic issues, you're in a prime time to create new habits right now. Not eating white carbs is a good habit to develop. :thumbup:

There are alternatives/substitutes: shiratake or miracle noodles, grated zucchini, spaghetti squash or if you absolutely must have real pasta: dreamfield pasta (reduced carb pasta). Or whole wheat pasta. cook it al dente.. and strictly control the serving amount.

I'm having some rice tonight with my beef & broccoli.. but only 2 tablespoons.. and it's brown rice, and no butter. eating it very very slowly, about 2 or 3 grains at a time. I don't eat sticky white rice any longer.. there are better choices.

Congratulations on your banding!!

thanks melissa =)

yes I am eatting my veggies. raw as well as cooked and have tried raisins in salads and apples. I eat my Protein (meat generally) first and then any veggies and last any carbs if there is room. there have been a few times I have wanted a cracker or a sugar free ice cream sandwich...but was afraid to have anything that was "breadlike". I know we are all different, I will probably try a little something like you suggested a little down the road. For now, since I am loosing, I guess I'll stick with what I'm doing. Have a wonderful daY! Thanks AGAIN

I am four weeks out as well and I have not had a fill yet. The dietician told me introduce new foods slowly to see how I tolerate them. Even though I have not had a fill, I am having an issue with foods getting "stuck". I can't imagine how it will feel when I get a fill.

I made my family Pasta and meatballs a couple of nights ago (homemade sauce from the tomatoes in my garden! YUM!). I ate the meatballs, the salad, and enjoyed about four pieces of rigatoni. I made sure I chewed so I didn't get sick. It did not cause me an issue. I have lost quite a bit of weight since surgery and have done very well. I feel very in control and fastastic about everything so I didn't feel it was necessary to totally omit the Pasta. I ate the Protein and veggies first. I know once I am filled it won't be a good choice, but I enjoyed it and felt satisfied and did not feel guilty. Thankfully, I don't crave the carbs or sugar anymore.

Pasta, rice and bread high GI foods, but you rarely eat them on their own. The whole low carb thing is basically flawed by this, if you eat a balanced diet and eat Proteins at every meal as well as small amounts of carb foods, you wont have that blood sugar response. If you eat a slice of white bread on its own, you probably will, but that's not good balanced eating, is it?

Of course you can eat Pasta, bread and rice IF your band will tolerate it. You dont need enormous quantities of energy foods like this, particularly if you're trying to lose weight but you dont need to withhold food groups to manage your weight. Its just a matter of what your band can tolerate, and that's an individual thing. I personally have no trouble with bread, but clear, pulp free apple juice or cold yogurt will have me over the toilet bowl within minutes.

White carbs are to an overweight person as alcohol is to an alcoholic. We all struggle to stay away from them but try or you may open Pandora's Box. Lose the weight first and get into good habits before you start eating Pasta and bread.< /p>

:::snipped::: I will probably try a little something like you suggested a little down the road. For now, since I am loosing, I guess I'll stick with what I'm doing. Have a wonderful daY! Thanks AGAIN

You're very welcome.

However, I've gone back over and over what I wrote to you and can't see where I suggested that you "try a little something". I thought I suggested staying away from white carbs as long as you can. :thumbup:

It aint easy and I didn't cut them completely out of my eating immediately post-op....but then again, my doc didn't require a preop diet, so I didn't come off of them cold turkey like many have to do.

Thank you for starting this thread. Because of this subject I've done some online reading about Glycemic Index, Glycemic Load to refresh my memory..and have learned some things I didn't know.. or had conveniently forgotten.

Have a good one.

I have noticed multiple posts of "more experienced banders" that mention that they eat Pasta, rice and breads. These were "taboo" according to my surgeon and the nurse at the weight loss center.

Pasta and rice are sliders for me. Breads, if I take small bites and chew thoroughly *and* swallow that bite in several swallows, are fine. As Jachut said, there is nothing wrong with any of them and are part of a balanced diet. However, some choices are better than others.

Brown rice is better than white. Whole wheat is better than regular. As a diabetic, I find that brown rice and whole wheat pasta and breads have less effect on my blood sugar than the others. My lunch and dinner are about 2-3 oz of Protein, 1/2 cup of steamed vegies and 1/4 cup carbs and I always start with my Protein. Some days I am tighter than others and don't make it through the carbs...and that's ok.

Some doctors advise cutting out all carbs in the form of rice, potatoes, pasta and bread but the reality is you will not stay on that way of eating for long. I know. I lost 70 pounds on Atkins. Yes, I felt better and suffered no ill effects but I *missed* them until it got to the point where that's all I could think about. I've never put the weight back on but my understanding is that is not the common result when people go back to eating carbs...most likely because they're binging due to the previous deprivation.

The sensible approach is to 'eat all things in moderation', making good choices. good luck. ;-)

Edited by ElfiePoo

My doctor doesn't recommend reintroducing starches and grains until 75 percent of excess body weight is lost. I've reached that point, according to his goal for me--but because my goal is lower, I have not yet added them back in on a routine basis---I just don't miss them enough to do so.

On rare occasion, because I'm now officially "allowed," I do have a taste of something, but have not had good success, stomach-wise, so I generally still steer clear. Not worth the pain of getting stuck. My one exception is that I will now order a piece or two of sushi with brown rice, rather than sticking only with sashimi. No problems there.

Sorry...read two messages and combined content =)

Decision has been made, however...no pasta's breads or rice until I am Much closer to goal...don't want to risk the temptation or possibly getting stuck. Will get my carbs from my veggies for now.

Thanks for everyone's replies. Such great info on here.