Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

:confused:So I was banded in December of 2005 and I successfully lost over 100 lbs. and since then and now I have gained back almost 40 lbs. and am super depressed. I have been disappointed with myself. I joined the gym, started following rules, etc. and I still haven't had success. I talked with my PCP today and he suggested a revision surgery. I am honestly skeptical about doing this and would rather attempt to do it without a revision. Can someone please let me know there is help for me. I need advise on how to jump start the weight loss, control the eating and bad habits, and get back in the routine of doing right by the band.

hi Auddie,

I'm still new to the band, so may not be the best person to give advice, but, I wanted to tell you that you can overcome whatever obstacle is holding you back =)

Are you maxed out on fills? I was wondering how you would do to go back to a diet like immediate post-op (liquids for a few days, then high Protein? ) just a thought. Whatever you decide know there are people here that are supportive. God Bless!

:confused:So I was banded in December of 2005 and I successfully lost over 100 lbs. and since then and now I have gained back almost 40 lbs. and am super depressed. I have been disappointed with myself. I joined the gym, started following rules, etc. and I still haven't had success. I talked with my PCP today and he suggested a revision surgery. ::snipped:::.

What does your bariatric surgeon have to say? I think I'd be consulting them rather than my PCP.

Go back and have your fill level evaluated, perhaps get some more saline, and start attending support meetings again. You're taking the right steps by going back to the rules, going to the gym, etc. Hang in there

Go back to the diet you had the first 4 months of having the band. Just because you can eat more does not mean you should. Break the bad habits and wipe your board clean.

The way you said "I joined the gym" makes me assume you havent been exercising regularly? It is just SO important, exercise works even better for keeping weight off than it does for losing and you simply can absolutely not afford to quit exercising ever again if you want to keep weight away.

That would be my advice, learn to love exercise and if you cant, learn to be dedicated. I'm having chemotherapy and radiation at the moment and I'm STILL running most days, its that important to me. It truly makes all the difference in allowing you to live and eat relatively normally without regaining weight.

You can do this. See your band doctor (its REALLY important to stay in touch with your doc and to go in for check ups), think about a top up fill if you think you might need it (I've had a small top up every 12 months or so since I hit goal 2 and a half years ago, I was banded in December 2005 too).

You can do this, but band and weight maintenance is for LIFE. But a 40lb weight problem is much less than you once dealt with, you have a tool to work with and hopefully medical backup, you CAN do it.

Your PCP is well-meaning, but is not a bariatric surgeon. The person with whom to discuss getting back on track is your surgeon.

WELL before I considered a revision, I'd do whatever it took to get my behavior under control--because the same changes required to successfully lose with a band are required for successful loss with a bypass or sleeve.

Can you identify the hows and whys of your regain? Do you have appropriate restriction? What changes can you make in your eating and exercise? I agree that exercise is CRITICAL---just absolutely critical to long-term success.

Call your surgeon; ask for an adjustment. Then make the appropriate adjustments to your actions. You can do it! You've done it before---and you don't need another, more drastic surgery, to do it again :thumbup:

I agree with the previous posters in that you should be seeing your bariatric surgeon. My understanding that a revision is done if something is wrong with the band (erosion, slippage) and you need to determine if that is truly the case (and from what I've heard, you'd know just from how you feel--vomiting, etc.). It sounds like you are in need of an adjustment. What has been your post-op care plan with your surgeon? It's great that you are getting back to basics, but without a proper restriction level, your tool is simply a car without gas at this point. You need to be sure it's working properly along with you. While it shouldn't do all the work, it should be helping you to eat less while you are doing your part.

Good luck!