Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey all :crying:

I was banded 09/10/10. My Dr. told me I could eat mushies as soon as my body would let me. Well...today I ate yogurt and a banana a creamy Soup. Is this too much? I worried. Was the band supposed to prevent me from wanting to eat this much? It is a lot of food. When I ate I chewed the food a lot...and ate slow..and I am "full" right now...however with moderate gas trying to creep up. I am so worried. But it is my instinct to eat when I am hungry... what should I do? I put a call in to my Doc...to see what I should do... :unsure:

Hey all :crying:

I was banded 09/10/10. My Dr. told me I could eat mushies as soon as my body would let me. Well...today I ate yogurt and a banana a creamy Soup. Is this too much? I worried. Was the band supposed to prevent me from wanting to eat this much? It is a lot of food. When I ate I chewed the food a lot...and ate slow..and I am "full" right now...however with moderate gas trying to creep up. I am so worried. But it is my instinct to eat when I am hungry... what should I do? I put a call in to my Doc...to see what I should do... :unsure:

The band does not prevent you from "wanting" to eat it is just a tool to help you from eating too much. did you eat all of that (yogurt, banana and soup) in one setting or was it spread out over a period of time? I know that for me being almost 3 weeks post op I could not eat all of that in just one sitting I would feel full and ill. but if you ate all of that at different times then I don't think that was bad.

Don't worry or second guess yourself just take it slow and listen to what your stomach is telling you not what your head wants! Good Luck

04948749-FFAB-E84C-90A7-1D94AFDDA05E

I think you are fine. If your worried about stretching your pouch, don't be. It takes months of really overeating to do that. Right now your band is not tight around your stomach. The food you eat is going right into your big stomach. Remember the first weeks are for healing, not weight loss. That's good you called the dr. just to be sure, but I don't think you have anything to worry about.

A bananna is mushy but not a slider. It will stick in your stomach and your stitches can break if you put too much pressure on the pouch. That is why my doctor told me to stay on liquids for 3 weeks. Be careful to not over stuff the pouch and count calories!!!

I think you are prob fine, but I would be careful not to eat to much in one sitting. Over eating can cause band slippage is what my doctor told me. Listen to your body. If you get gas or pain in your chest or shoulders you may be advancing to soon.

None of us are doctors - I would think your doc would give you some guide lines -

I would eat 1/2 cup cream Soup and be full ..

I am 3 yrs out and I will tell you first had - the band does nothing about what your brain wants.. I will be physically full - but my brains says to eat more..

Please be prepared for all of this - they banded our stomachs but the majority of our problems w/food is in our brains and they haven't developed a band for that yet.

Good Luck

Wow Folks!

Thank you for all the responses. I think I am taking it too fast. I am miserable right now! I am full...having crazy gas (the upper kind) and have a weird pain in my left shoulder....great! So...I am glad I know what over eating feels like at this stage for me! Yowzers, I do NOT like this feeling...and that banana did not taste THAT good :unsure:

I ate 4oz of banana blended with skim milk @ 8am (super thin)

Then 7oz of very creamy potato Soup @ 10:30am

Then a large banana and activia @ 11:00am

I think I went crazy...and I am paying for it now!

I hate the Protein shakes...but it looks like I wil have to resort to them to get my nutrition in during these liquid weeks.

They do need to make a band for head hunger :crying:

Thanks again everyone :smile:

Wow Folks!

Thank you for all the responses. I think I am taking it too fast. I am miserable right now! I am full...having crazy gas (the upper kind) and have a weird pain in my left shoulder....great! So...I am glad I know what over eating feels like at this stage for me! Yowzers, I do NOT like this feeling...and that banana did not taste THAT good :wub:

I hate the Protein shakes...but it looks like I wil have to resort to them to get my nutrition in during these liquid weeks.

They do need to make a band for head hunger :alien:

Thanks again everyone :eek6:

you need way more Protein than this..liquid or mushie stage....this is a lot of carbs...sure there is protein in the yogurt and milk but not that much. I would find a protein powder/drink that you like and at least supplement until you can eat solid protein. The only way you will feel full once you are restricted is solid food...if you want to lose weight...majority protein.

I totally agree. Proitein is the key to lose weight and curb hunger. I have some yummy special Protein chicken noodle and beef vegetable broths that I love and theu are filling and have 20 grams of protien and only 70 calories. Egg whites are great scrambled (only eat 2 though) and low in choleserol and calories. You should also drink the special protein Fruit Drinks that have 20 grams of protein. Do not eat too many carbs. That is why we all got fat.

I had surgery 9/10 as well and doc said I could start on full liquids and mushies right away which I have had no problems. I am still drinking my Protein Drinks though on top of it. Today I had a Protein Drink for Breakfast, mash potatoes and yogurt for lunch and another Protein drink for dinner.< /p>

Wow Folks!

Thank you for all the responses. I think I am taking it too fast. I am miserable right now! I am full...having crazy gas (the upper kind) and have a weird pain in my left shoulder....great! So...I am glad I know what over eating feels like at this stage for me! Yowzers, I do NOT like this feeling...and that banana did not taste THAT good :wub:

They do need to make a band for head hunger :alien:

Thanks again everyone :eek6:

Pure Protein makes a good vanilla cream shake pre-made - 120 cal 19 grms pt and low in carbs - I add 1/2 banana and some Peanut Butter in a blender and ice - It's to die for - and I really don't do Protein Shakes at this stage (3 yrs) I really use it for dessert - you can add what ever you like -

I had the unjury when I 1st got banded - unflavored - added flavored sf yogurt and fruit -

But to tell you the truth I like the pure protein pre-made ones the best - and I hate pt shakes - like I said when you doctor them up they are excellent - imho

That was too much food too in a short period of time - you have to contimplate your stomach - you will feel a new diff full now - but your head will say - oh that's all you are you need more food -

Don't listen to it - listen to your stomach

you are suppose to eat 3 meals and my doc allows 2 healthy Snacks - So after you have had your planed food - no more - 30 min (or what ever your doc instructed) start drinking your Water..

Yep - no band for your head - I know you have been told - WLS is not the easy way out - even when you have good restriction.. It's still work..

Hey all :alien:

I was banded 09/10/10. My Dr. told me I could eat mushies as soon as my body would let me. Well...today I ate yogurt and a banana a creamy Soup. Is this too much? I worried. Was the band supposed to prevent me from wanting to eat this much? It is a lot of food. When I ate I chewed the food a lot...and ate slow..and I am "full" right now...however with moderate gas trying to creep up. I am so worried. But it is my instinct to eat when I am hungry... what should I do? I put a call in to my Doc...to see what I should do... :wub:

Before I got my fill, when I was on mushies, I could easily eat that in the time frame you did. I was hungry every two hours, till I got my fill.

Happy with my fill,

Kelly:thumbup:

Edited by kellyodoran

Again, you all rock!

Question...when I drink a Protein shake...how many oz should I be drinking?

Thanks for all the advice...I will def try premade pt shake with Peanut Butter and ice....yum!

Again, you all rock!

Question...when I drink a Protein shake...how many oz should I be drinking?

Thanks for all the advice...I will def try premade pt shake with Peanut Butter and ice....yum!

If you blend it w/ice it makes a lot - but again it's a liquid the key is to stop when your stomach says i'm full - sip on it as long as you want - you need your pt (protein)

We are all diff on our restriction - and since I'm 3 yrs out I really don't remember - but would say I drank 8 oz - but again don't really remember - key stop when full - pay attention to your stomach