Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to do about clothes...

So, finally, after 42 pounds, I've dropped some sizes... In fact, I've dropped two sizes in the last week.

Now I struggle with, how long do I keep my bigger clothes, I mean, it feels REALLY odd to know I can get rid of them knowing that I won't need them again when this 'diet' fails in a couple of months because history will not be repeating itself. Some sort of sick attachment to them, I guess.

The other thing is how often did you all buy clothes? I'm trying to only go out and get some essentials every 2-3 sizes, but crap, my shirts look like party tents and my shorts or pants fall down just walking to the front door. I'm starting to look like a bag lady. So I also don't want to look like that either.

Maybe try a thrift store or consignment shop? Get just enough to get you through until you need smaller clothing again.

And congrats on having this problem! hehe

I've just been buying what I can at a thrift store. I basically have about 5 pair of pants and maybe 10 shirts. LOL! I have this huge, overflowing laundry basket of clothes that are too big right now and I'm still trying to figure out what to do with them.

I've also hit up clearance racks just to get me through the season. Of course, I've been a bad bandster this week so I better get back on track (LOL!), but yes - I've dropped a number of sizes and pants were literally falling off when I walked.

I too just had this problem. So many people at work were asking when i was gonna buy new pants.........they were falling off! My tops were also sagging in my arms and chest.

I sifted through craigslist ads and found another lady who had gastric bypass that LOVED to shop. I was able to inexpensively purchase items from her! Craigslist has been a big help for me. It takes time, but I don't have much money for clothing purchases, so these inexpensive finds are worth the wait for me!

In an effort to offset clothing cost, i put up another CL add to sell my old clothing and try and get some money from it to put towards gently used smaller clothing.

Going through this experience motivated me to contemplate opening up a shop for gently used PLUS SIZE clothing!

It's a great problem to have uh? I actually had to go home and change my pants at lunch yesterday because they were so uncomfortably big! I think I will look at Craigslist as well.

Going through this experience motivated me to contemplate opening up a shop for gently used PLUS SIZE clothing!

Hey, that is a great Idea!! :unsure:

Get rid of the oversized clothes! However you do it, I think it's really important. You will never need those clothes again! Keep up the good work!

A lot of really good ideas and advice! I hadn't thought of a thrift store or CL.

I agree in getting rid of the oversize clothes, I think it's important, just nerve wracking!

Oh and YES... It does feel GREAT to have this problem!

Never need those old big clothes again. Isn't that great? That is what is so amazing about what we have done! Depending on your body type(if you have a large tummy that will be getting smaller which most of us have)...here is a suggestion about transition clothes...MATERNITY! I bought a pair of jeans at motherhood and it was the best investment ever. Think about it, those clothes are made to grow into. Well we are getting smaller and it works the same way. Plus maternity clothes are cute and very comfortable. And the stretchy band on new maternity pants has a slimming effect. It worked for me...good luck!

EBAY them !! i do and re invest in smaller clothes!

Whether you sell your old clothes or give them away, be sure to keep at least one pair of pants and a shirt or dress so you can use it as a "before" reminder. I kept one of my size 26W jeans, and held it up yesterday, and oh, what a difference! I'm now into a 14W slacks and while I have been stuck at the same weight for two months now, this is a great reminder of how well I've done so far. In fact, even though my weight has not changed, I've lost another size, going from 16W to 14W!

I've tried to buy new clothes every other size, but since by 16W were so baggy in the butt and thighs, I went ahead and got the 14Ws. Even I can really see the difference now when I'm dressed. Naked? Not so much. Still same shape so it is harder to visualize without any clothing.

I have made it a habit of purging the closet on a regular basis.. throwing away or donating. I buy inexpensive clothing now as things change rapidly... oh and a good belt for my jeans

mmm well i started shopping for clothes like 2 months after the surgery.....then it was like every month....now i only buy once every month and a half.....i gave away all my big clothes to charity.

I have moved since the last time I lost a major amount of weight so I don't have many smaller sized clothing. My issue is right now I work remotely so I don't have to dress for work. Most of my pants were knit slide on type so even though I have lost 70 pounds since my first consult I have'nt bought that many clothes. Also since I am contracting I'm not sure what kind of environment I might go to next (either as a contractor or direct employee) so I don't want to invest in the wrong type of clothes (Business vs. Business casual). If I get an "onsite job" I will definately need to buy some stuff. Most of the thrift stores near me don't carry larger sizes.