Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Exercise is messing me up....help

I eat an hour before my workouts. My fav. thing to eat to fuel me is non fat plain greek yogurt (protein), Bob's Red Mill Muesli (carbs) and some berries (bue or red, ie strawberries). This amounts to just about 200 calories and holds me from 7am till noon. I do a minimum of 90 minutes (30 min stretching and 60 of pretty intense cardio) on this breakfast.. up to 3 hours ( 1 hr weights and 2 hours cardio).

How long has it been since your last fill? If eating some Breakfast doesn't take care of the hunger after workout issue, I'd schedule an appt to go in and talk about more fill.

Try to workout right before you'd eat a meal anyway, and eat that meal within an hour of your workout.

Hey Molly - it's probably a combination of the exercise and needing an adjustment on your fill levels. From what I understand, as we lose weight our band will loosen up a bit (stomach is smaller~makes sense) and will need an adjustment. Taking some of the advice from the posters will help get you through, but I bet it will be the next fill that will really help. Running is my go-to exercise, however I find that i am not hungry after working out. Try changing your calorie levels around a bit, too. I was struggling REALLY hard with my hunger, started eating more and went into maintenance mode where I was gaining and losing the same 2 pounds for a couple of weeks (very frustrating). With my 2nd fill fiasco of being too tight (feeling MUCH better now after removal of .5!) I have dropped 3 quick pounds with the drastic calorie reduction again (reminds me of starting the preop diet). I know it won't continue at this rate, however, but it makes me think there might be something to keeping your body guessing about the calories it's going to receive.

Reverie,

I have to disagree. She did not say she was gaining weight but that she had not lost any. My best friend is a personal trainer and this is a common thing. Here is an article on it as well:

Why Do Women Gain Weight When Exercising? | eHow.com

What happens is that her body is going through a change. Eventually she will begin to lose again, but it is a normal thing to stop losing and maybe even gain a few when you begin exercising.

Reverie,

I have to disagree. She did not say she was gaining weight but that she had not lost any. My best friend is a personal trainer and this is a common thing. Here is an article on it as well:

Why Do Women Gain Weight When Exercising? | eHow.com

What happens is that her body is going through a change. Eventually she will begin to lose again, but it is a normal thing to stop losing and maybe even gain a few when you begin exercising.

I agree - I mean, I am naturally mesomorphic anyway and I put on muscle rather quickly - so I guess in my mind, it makes sense that I might have this period where my weight loss stalls a little. And I guess I can deal with the stall (for a little while anyway) if I could work out the calorie/hunger stuff. I don't want to be hungry all day - but at the same time, I don't want to further sacrifice a metabolism that was already pretty lame. I also don't want to be OBSESSING more than necessary.

I know exactly how you feel! I am only at the 3 week mark since my surgery and I have been walking a lot lately and noticed that the scale is not moving, then had to be reminded by my friend that I went from not moving to doing a great cardio work out and although taking in so few calories (which we think should make us drop weight like lead balloons) the body is just re-arranging itself. She said she can even see the difference already. So that makes me very happy. What I have decided is that I am not going to get on the scale every day and maybe not even every week because I dont want to be disappointed. I know I am doing everything right and I WILL reach all my goals. ; )

It's not the exercise. It's the fact that you only eat twice a day. 3 meals and 3 Snacks. If you don't eat, you won't lose weight. Simple as that. Make sure you eat whole foods.

I eat around 2000-2300 calories a day and I burn 3000-3300 calories. So I have a 1000 calorie deficit. I AM losing weight. I average about 2-3 pounds a week. I also exercise 3-4 times a week usually around 1 hour to 1 hour and 30 minutes each time.

I agree - I mean, I am naturally mesomorphic anyway and I put on muscle rather quickly - so I guess in my mind, it makes sense that I might have this period where my weight loss stalls a little. ::snipped::

May I suggest that during this plateau that you take your measurements (neck, arm, forearm, bust, waist, hips, thigh, calf) and record them somewhere.

Then in 2, 3 or 4 weeks take them again and see if you haven't reshaped a little.

I started taking my measurements in May when the scale started slowing waaaaayyy down and indeed I am reshaping even if my loss is slow. :wub:

An overweight body has plenty of fuel to sustain workouts. Instead of focusing on changing your food, I'd make sure you are well-hydrated. Your symptoms can be attributable to a need for extra Fluid or even electrolytes

But odds are really, really slim that you require more food. Not that a Protein shake post-workout is a bad idea, if it fits in with your food plan.

It's just that ...well, we're overweight. Our bodies DO have the fuel we need, right there, ready to be used. And that's the whole point--to use it.

Have to agree, I really dont buy into this special before workout shake, followed by special post workout shake. The idea is to burn your fat.

Like I said, harder exercise tends to deaden my appetite, but I tend to agree that a fill might be on the cards. And whilst I personally wouldnt suggest more food (dont really buy the starvation mode theory either) spreading your calories over more balanced meals would be a bit more sensible. For whatever reason, people that eat bigger meals less often do tend to be heavier.