Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Discouraged

Hello everyone. I’ve been debating to post or not for quite some time now and I finally decided to get some advice to see if anyone else was having issues with losing weight with their band. I’ve read a ton of your posts and everyone mentions how much weight they have lost and I must admit I feel very discouraged. I had my LAP-BAND®® surgery on July 29. My first fill of 1cc was a month later. After not feeling any restriction at all my doctor finally made my second fill 5cc’s. Total I have 6cc’s in a 9cc band. I do now finally feel some restriction, but I am still not seeing the results it seems everyone else is. My starting weight before surgery was 250lbs and my weight now is currently 244lbs. I exercise daily, walking 1 mile and running 1 mile. My diet consists of 1 cup of carnations (the chocolate milk drink) for Breakfast (60 calories), a lean cuisine or turkey sandwich for lunch and a lean cuisine for dinner. I don’t know if I’m just being impatient but I feel like I should have lost more weight by now. Losing this weight is extremely important for my mental health. Unfortunately I’ve let the weight become such an issue to me that I prevent myself from normal social activities. I go to work and go home. That’s it. I’m too embarrassed/ashamed and worried that I might just run into someone that I knew before I put on all this weight. Being that I’m only 23 and I’ve spent the past year practically in hiding I can say I have the worst case of cabin fever. I want to get back out there. I had a healthy life before filled with friends and fun events. Not to mention I keep putting off college. I tell myself that once I lose 20 lbs I’ll go back, but it never seems to happen. If anyone has any advice please feel free to share. I’m having some pretty bad tunnel vision over here, so I guess anything could really help. :thumbup:

Natalieg--

You mention that your surgery was on July 29th. I assume of 2010, right? You are doing just fine. I don't think that you are getting enough Protein with your Lean Cuisines, however. Water intake along with a high protein diet is key. I was banded July 30th of 2009 and it took my body awhile to get used to the band, the diet, and exercise. The other thing that helps me keep on track is the bodybugg. Quite a few people on this site use it. The bodybugg along with the band is just a tool, but a very useful one. Go easy on yourself and keep on moving and making the correct food choices. You will get there.

You will get there. My Dr told me not to expect more than a pound a week. And if you were on the liquid diet for 4 weeks then you probably lost a big chunk of weight to begin with. Also make sure you are taking in enough good calories. When you limit your caloric intake to very low amounts your body will hold on tight to any calories you take in. Good luck and please be patient.

Hi Natalie... so sorry you're feeling low. I was banded 9 days ago but have a detailed eating plan for each stage. It struck me that you don't seem to be eating enough! There is a huge amount of literature on the value of eating 5 - 6 times a day having 2 and 1/2 hours between each meal. Breakfast, mid-morning snack, lunch, mid-afternoon snack, dinner. The other hugely important thing is having 2 litres of Water a day. I keep a bottle with me all the time that I sip from so I can keep a check. No sugary stuff in it. I do hope this will help you. Is there post op psychological support for you or someone safe who you can chat to and share your feelings? Warm wishes, Des

Protein, protein, protein and about a 1000 calories a day....I think you are undereating.

I think you will find things fall into place a bit for you, when you achieve better restriction. (My suspicion is that you don't have restriction, if you're able to eat a turkey sandwich.)

In the meantime, I would focus a LOT more on lean, good-quality Protein (Lean Cuisines just don't have enough), and less on processed, prepared foods.

A meal of 3 or so ounces of lean Protein (meat, fish, poultry, soy substitute, whatever) plus nonstarchy veggies is much more satisfying, MUCH lower in sodium, and more nourishing than a Lean Cuisine. It is also much less expensive, and no harder to prepare.

I would also give serious thought to adopting an exercise regimen that helps you feel better about your body---regardless of its size--and takes you outside your house. Walking is a great choice. It doesn't require a membership, special equipment, or anything else. And it gets you moving, and out of the "cabin" you're trapped in. Aside from promoting weight loss and good physical health, regular exercise is so, so beneficial emotionally. It releases chemicals that improve mood. And even more importantly, every bit of progress helps increase confidence and build strong self-worth/esteem.

I really think it's the most critical piece of the proverbial pie, in conquering body image issues.

The part of your post that concerns me the most is that you are postponing life until you achieve a certain loss. And I wonder: is there something about resuming school that might be causing anxiety sufficient to cause you to self-sabotage on the weight loss somewhat?

As you embark on this completely new way of living, I would really, really encourage you to get some professional help to deal with body image. It's so important to love yourself--no matter what your body weight. When you do, it becomes possible to achieve what you want to achieve--both in terms of weight loss and in terms of achieving other goals. Stumbling blocks to progress are removed.

You're worth it.

Nat-

I haven't had the lap band surgery. In fact i am on here roaming through the forum out of curiosity to see if it is something I want to do.

I've been overweight as long as i can remember. I just turned 40 and I weigh 385 lbs. I have a major obsession with food, but my health is starting to show signs of problems. Truth be told, I'm scared. I'm afraid that if I decide to get this lap-band, that I'm gonna go crazy. But i also know that my 2 little girls and my wife need me around.

I have tried every diet known to man, but I always run back to the frig to reward myself after i lose 30-50 lbs. And the vicious cycle begins again.

All i wanted to say was don't get discouraged. Remember how you felt when you were in the place I am in right now. Keep looking forward and go for it. I need inspiration.

If anyone understands what i am going through right now, I would appreciate any advise you have from your experience. Not to take anything from Nat's post, but this may help me make my decision easier.

Nat-

I haven't had the LAP-BAND® surgery. In fact i am on here roaming through the forum out of curiosity to see if it is something I want to do.

I've been overweight as long as i can remember. I just turned 40 and I weigh 385 lbs. I have a major obsession with food, but my health is starting to show signs of problems. Truth be told, I'm scared. I'm afraid that if I decide to get this lap-band®, that I'm gonna go crazy. But i also know that my 2 little girls and my wife need me around.

I have tried every diet known to man, but I always run back to the frig to reward myself after i lose 30-50 lbs. And the vicious cycle begins again.

All i wanted to say was don't get discouraged. Remember how you felt when you were in the place I am in right now. Keep looking forward and go for it. I need inspiration.

If anyone understands what i am going through right now, I would appreciate any advise you have from your experience. Not to take anything from Nat's post, but this may help me make my decision easier.

I am not sure if you have a PCP doctor but I started my weight loss plan way before the insurance company required the 3 months of documentation. I started 8 months in advance going to my doctor each month to report to her my eating habits, exercise program, and weigh in. I only lost 15 pounds in those 8 months but for me that was a success. I started out at 388 and when I went for my first consult with the lanband doctor I was 373. For some odd reason I didn't want to let my doctor down every month that I went to go weigh in and that was a motivator not to gain. Some months I didn't lose any thing but I didn't gain. It's been a struggle but this was the best choice I have made in a while regarding my health.

sounds like not enough Protein. Im newly banded by 7 days but lost alot of weight prior. You have to get at least 50-60g protein in per day, plus you walking and running which depletes calories as well. Your cody may be in starvation mode of not enough protein then mix those salty store bought foods like lean cuisne that make u retain fluids. Im not a doc or nutritionist but I would say cut down on excercise for 1 week to say just walking, and up protein intake by making your meals like tofu, lean meat or adding some whey Protein Shakes and then see how it goes. and dont be so hard on yourself. None of us im sure gained this weight overnight so it wont dissappear that wya. the band is ntended to to help you lose weight slower than with other WLS.

Be blessed and keep your head up.

Nat-

I haven't had the LAP-BAND®® surgery. In fact i am on here roaming through the forum out of curiosity to see if it is something I want to do.

I've been overweight as long as i can remember. I just turned 40 and I weigh 385 lbs. I have a major obsession with food, but my health is starting to show signs of problems. Truth be told, I'm scared. I'm afraid that if I decide to get this lap-band®®, that I'm gonna go crazy. But i also know that my 2 little girls and my wife need me around.

My husband weighed 403 and it was taking a toll on him physically and mentally. I completely know where you are and how you feel. In January of 2008 he had gastric bypass. He had been conmsidering it for a while but was scared. My daughter, who was 16 then, told him one night that she knew he probably wouldn't be able to walk her down the aisle one day. It hit home with him and his decision was made.

It was complete hell for him in the beginning. He had lost his best friend (FOOD) and was depressed for a couple months until he saw the changes taking place. He got down to 260 lbs and got comfortable with himself. He started snacking and has maintained his weight. I know he still needs to lose more BUT he's happy and our life together is 1000% better.

I was banded almost 6 weeks ago. I started with a low BMI of 32 and made the decision to do it for me. I have played with 50 lbs for years and understand the ups and downs. Hopefully that cycle is now broken.

With all that being said, surgery has changed our lives for the better. We will live longer, happier and most importantly healthy.

I wish you the best!!!

Hi,

Don't feel bad, I am in the boat with you. The weight issue has consumed me too. I don't feel right in my own body and there is so much out there that I want to do but am holding back because of the weight. I had surgery on 5-1-10 and don't feel that I am anywhere close to being at the weight I should be. Don't fret, you are not alone. This can be a long lonely process, but remember you have people on this site that are there to support you and that understand you. As far as going back to school, do it now, while you are young!! :-). I am 37 and going back to school now and it is hard. I have a family that needs me so that takes away from my studying time. Love them to death, but it is hard.

Wake up tomorrow with a smile and say I am taking it one day at a time, no more. Take baby steps and eventually you will be running a marathon!!! :-)

I am not sure if you have a PCP doctor but I started my weight loss plan way before the insurance company required the 3 months of documentation. I started 8 months in advance going to my doctor each month to report to her my eating habits, exercise program, and weigh in. I only lost 15 pounds in those 8 months but for me that was a success. I started out at 388 and when I went for my first consult with the lanband doctor I was 373. For some odd reason I didn't want to let my doctor down every month that I went to go weigh in and that was a motivator not to gain. Some months I didn't lose any thing but I didn't gain. It's been a struggle but this was the best choice I have made in a while regarding my health.

My heart really went out to you.... we all have food addictions and I get it. I was banded 2 weeks ago and I miss my old food 'friends'. My motivator was seeing all these health problems developing since I've reached my 50s - blood pressure, cholestral, knee problems etc etc. I just knew that if I kept this up, I would become a burden to myself and my family through either a heart attack or a stroke. It's taken me almost a year to decide to go for it and while it's hard at the moment, I am determined to see this through. Start researching, reading all the stories, become your own expert and then decide when YOU'RE ready. I prayed a lot about this and that helped too. God Bless you.

Hi Natalie! Oh my goodness, you broke my heart with your post cuz you sound so much like me! I think that maybe you're not eating enough. You should be eating around 1000 calories per day, especially since your more active. I know exactly what you're saying about being afraid to run into ppl you know from the past or being afraid to go out cuz I'm the exact same way. I've lost 42 pounds, but still have another 40-50 to go to be where I was in high school. I would get so scared to see ppl that hadnt seen me in awhile. I'm starting to get better since I've lost some of the weight. You'll get there too! Don't put your dreams of going back to school off! Try to get out (easier said than done, i know)! Maybe if you start doing more positive things, you'll start to feel better. Keep us posted Natalie! Good luck and take care!:biggrin:

My heart really went out to you.... we all have food addictions and I get it. I was banded 2 weeks ago and I miss my old food 'friends'. My motivator was seeing all these health problems developing since I've reached my 50s - blood pressure, cholestral, knee problems etc etc. I just knew that if I kept this up, I would become a burden to myself and my family through either a heart attack or a stroke. It's taken me almost a year to decide to go for it and while it's hard at the moment, I am determined to see this through. Start researching, reading all the stories, become your own expert and then decide when YOU'RE ready. I prayed a lot about this and that helped too. God Bless you.

I am sorry that you misunderstood my post but I have already had the lapband surgery. I have lost about 64 pounds since I started this journey. I was banded on 2.23.10. I was just writing about my diet that I was on before I got banded. I have lost more than 15 pounds lol! I am a slow loser but it's coming off.

I am sorry that you misunderstood my post but I have already had the lapband surgery. I have lost about 64 pounds since I started this journey. I was banded on 2.23.10. I was just writing about my diet that I was on before I got banded. I have lost more than 15 pounds lol! I am a slow loser but it's coming off.

No prob Shurmeka.... just so impressed with your weight loss!!! I have such a long way to go still and can't imagine being down that amount so perhaps I'm the one feeling discouraged! When did it get easier re the eating?