Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, I need some suggestions and options on this pre-op high Protein diet. I'm a student on the go and need help figuring out what food items whould be good lunch or dinner options? And what woould be good for a snack?

Help Please. *puppy dog eyes*

Get the Slim Fast Low Carb diet shakes - they are higher in Protein (and lower in carbs) than their High Protein variety.

I order mine on Amazon.com and get a case delivered about once a month.

It may take a can or two to get used to the taste (I like them, but remember my first one tasted like runny Jello pudding) and they are best very cold... Throw one or two in your bag, and just get a large cup of ice from the cafeteria or starbucks and you're good to go... 20g protein.

I also just tried the new Gatorade G-Series Protein Drink ("Recover") and they aren't bad... not as good as regular gatorade or Vitamin Water, but palatable. (15g protein)

A lot of other things are good -but require refridgeration (yogurt, low fat cheese etc). You could back celery and Peanut Butter as a quick snack too...

For dinners focus on meat first - or fish. I really like fajitas and they're pretty healthy if you forego the guacamole, cheese and tortillas - mostly chicken and veggies and super fast to cook. tuna cans (eat one whole can with MINIMAL mayo or mustard) and that's a LOT of protein. Eat sides last... will save calories and help you cram in all that protein.

But I'd seriously invest in the slim fast.

If you know anyone who has a costco membership; they have a ready to drink chocolate Protein shake/drink by Premier. It has 30 grams Protein for 140 calories. I think it tastes pretty good. When looking at Protein shakes you want higher grams of protein for the calories.

In regards to yogurt look for Greek style as it has more protein than the regular stuff. I buy fat free with fruit and add several tablespoons of vanilla whey Isolate Protein powder plus some Splendra (greek style is more sour).

In regards to "healthfood stores" I find that Vitamin Shoppe has much better prices than GNC (even with their buy one get one half price).

Hello, I need some suggestions and options on this pre-op high Protein diet. I'm a student on the go and need help figuring out what food items whould be good lunch or dinner options? And what woould be good for a snack?

Help Please. *puppy dog eyes*

Other than Protein shakes, on my high protein pre-op regimen I did a lot of chicken salad (no bread, but you could wrap in lettuce)-- canned all-white meat chicken with light mayo and brown mustard, sometimes I'd add some almonds or walnuts for crunch and extra protein

Any lean meat, grilled or sauteed in a little amount of olive oil-- I would often add some mushrooms, onions, and garlic for extra flavor and serve with a salad

eggs are great for protein-- some people use egg substitute but my doctor recs the real things

Because my doc told me not to worry as much about fat content as I did about keeping protein up and carbs down, I also kept a lot of turkey pepperoni and regular cheese around. It was good for a quick snack, or sometimes lunch and I'll tell you, a few small cubes of cheese works wonders for my hunger. Your doctor might not allow full-fat cheese but low fat or fat free is probably allowed and cheese is a good source of protein.

Thank you for the idea guys. I've just been trying to get a good grasp on this diet. It's kind of hard trying to figure out what to eat and what not to.

I like dried fruit and canned fruit so, I'm a little confused if its alright to eat them still.

Is casseroles good? I was thinking of doing some mushrooms, brocolli ground turkey, low-fat cheese, and whole wheat noodles.

Thank you for the idea guys. I've just been trying to get a good grasp on this diet. It's kind of hard trying to figure out what to eat and what not to.

I like dried fruit and canned fruit so, I'm a little confused if its alright to eat them still.

Is casseroles good? I was thinking of doing some mushrooms, brocolli ground turkey, low-fat cheese, and whole wheat noodles.

It depends-- is your pre-op JUST high Protein or is it high protein/low carb?

If it is the latter, no fruit and no pasta/rice/bread/potato-- even whole wheat. Mine was high protein/low carb (I could eat nothing that had more than 6g of carb per serving) so that pretty much meant meats, vegetables, and cheese.< /p>

Yeah, My Dr. has me on a High Protein. No Carb No Sugar Diet. Everyone on here know that No Carbs is impossible but that is just what he said my goal was. I eat a bunch of meat. Mostly chicken and Turkey. For being on the go you could always eat some processed Turkey or Ham slices. These aren't as good for you because they do contain some Carbs but most are less than 1 g a slice. There is also I think a Sliced Roast Beef that has No Carbs. I ate this alot. I have been on this diet for almost 2 months. Being a Male and over 400lbs the Dr is making me lose weight before the surgery.

I'mma have to call my doctor tomorrow to get a clearer picture on what I can and can not have. Because I'm a little confused and I don't want to mess this up. I've gotten rid of the sweets, sodas, and fattie foods that I love. I hope I can have fruit. I like fruit. :unsure:

Give your Dr. a call but I am sure that he isn't going to allow the Fruits. What the Dr. is trying to do is Shrink your Liver. To do this the body needs to be deprived of Carbs and Sugars. fruit is full of Natural Sugar. Let us know what the Dr. says but this is how mine explained it to me.

I called my Doctor and they weren't much help. Read your manual they say. It mostly has info on the post op diet not the pre-op. Screw it. Adding fruits to my do not eat for now list.

Look up the Sugar Busters diet online. What you are doing sounds very similar to what I am doing for my pre-op diet. I have to do Sugar Busters for 3 weeks pre-op. So far so good. It is fairly easy to follow. You basically eat nothing with over 3 grams of sugar in it. And, I have lost 14 lbs in 2 weeks. Not too shabby! :wub:

The down side of dried fruit is you get all the calories but not the satiation of a larger serving. If you were to eat an apricot you would be fuller than if you ate a dried apricot. Think grapes how many of them could you eat versus raisens.