Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm in misery

It's the middle of the night and my stomach is killing me, and I'm not even banded. I have a peptic ulcer that is being treated (they found it on my endoscopy) and a small erosion in my esophagus. The dr. said not to worry that it will be cleared up in a couple mo., but I am worried. It seems that esophageal problems are very real with the band, and I'm worried I may be prone to them. I hope I'm worrying needlessly. Ever since I found out for sure I have the ulcer and have to postpost the surgery for a couple mo. I'm bummed out, but I know the dr. is doing the right thing.

Has anyone ever had problems before banding with an ulcer or any irritation of the stomach lining and do you think it will be a major problem afterward. Will I be able to take my medication which comes in a capsule form without too much trouble. I hear you have to break up pills and this is timed releast and it says to take it the way it is. Dr. also said not to empty it and take it.

Anyone had any similar problems. I'm sure I'm making this ulcer worse staying up and worrying so much about it.

Hey Dody, So sorry to hear your in so much pain, yikes. I just want to say good luck with the tummy and the new meds.

Thanks for responding. It is now the middle of the day and my tummy has settled down. I think it is just my fear of not healing and being able to get the band that has me scared now. Everything seems to look better in the daytime. Anyway, thanks for your kind words. I've been researching the band for so long and deciding on the dr., and everything is in hand except me. He has now put me on anti-depressants in hopes they will help, but so far all I am is sleepy. I can't wait till I fit in better here and am banded. Then I will feel like one of you, but I'm looking at a few mo. out yet.

Again thanks for being so kind. Sometimes people don't bother much with people that aren't banded yet, so thanks again for taking the time for me.

Dody, you sound so sad! Don't worry... I'm sure it will be okay once you're healed up. I know it can be hard jumping those hurdles to finally get the band, but it will happen. I had to wait 3 months longer than I needed to (long story), and it was a long, hard wait. Hang in there. Hope you feel better soon! :P

Dody, waiting is the hard part! Ask your surgeon if you are higher risk, than usual, with the band due to your ulcers. You will feel better knowing. Remember, you want your body to be in the best condition before surgery as it can be.

Thanks for all your help. I think I'm stressing even more worring about not gettting my band, but the dr. seems to think we can heal this up. Thanks for the support.

Dody, you are one of us, we all went thru the waiting and all the pre op stuff as well. I remember my nerves were so shot, not only didn't I have nails left but I ate so incrediably much I didn't gain. How strange is that????? So that tells me just how bad my nerves were working in over time. Anyone who is "over weight" and struggling IS one of us.

Hang in there and try not to worry about what you have no control over, you'll make your tummy worse.

Good things come to those who wait :P You'll be okay, just focus on getting healthy.

Hugs !!!

Dear Dody, You have to stop worrying!! Ulcers arent helped with continued stress, I hope that you can lean on the confidence offered by others, some with lots of experience, some just starting the journey like you and I. It seems like you have said you have fear of the unknown. There will always be unknowns, so they cant hurt you as much as the fear and worry about them. No one wants you to hurt, we cant see each other or touch each other, but there are so many real friends here. try to see yourself healed, with the band and working for your first fill. Keep this image in your mind. You have the right to be sucessful, you have permission to be free!! Dont be afraid of the unknown, know the new you in your mind and make the future yours. Let peace bathe you. Happiness is waiting for you! You sound so precious, as others have said you are one of us, you are a member of the wanting to improve my heatlh club. I believe that we are all proud of you. You have already made most of the hardest steps, like facing the problem and recognizing the need for some change, you have made positive steps to take controll of your health like seeing th Dr. and following his directions. He sounds very thorough. I am very encouraged with your concern for yourself. Its good to care! it is not good to worry. Im hopping you begin to feel much better soon, some medications take a couple of days to reach proper levels in your body. If you are more sleepy, then take a nap if you can. I once had a Dr. that precsribed a daily nap for me and I thought it wasnt necessary, but he really was right. Please let us know how things are going for you every now and then, O.K? We really do want to know!

Dody, so sorry to hear about your ulcer and that it is so painful. Reducing your stress will definitely help all the way around, no doubt about that, stress isn't good for anyone in any situation.

When I was really sick last week with the kidney stones and had the really serious nausea and vomitting, with nothing in my stomach mind you, I knew it was really dangerous for my band. When spasms began with the heaving, I stopped it by doing deep breathing exercises and it really helped. Much more than I thought it would have. I am on the fence sometimes about alternative methods of self care, but I am more convinced than ever now, it really does work. I had to concentrate really hard and tell myself I would not allow my body to respond to the dry heaves and began breathing through my mouth and really focusing on that. It stopped the dry heaves every single time I did that. Try something like that when your pain starts and perhaps it will help.

Also, I know that some people get ulcers due to a specific bacteria in the stomach, h. pylori(I think) is the name of the bacteria and it can be resolved with a good course of antibiotics. Do you know, or has the doctor mentioned this to you? If this is the issue, the band may not be any problem for you, once it is cleared up. Alot of people have this and don't even know it.

I say lots of prayers that you heal quickly and that you can be banded once everything is cleared up. It is so good that they found this before the band, as your pain may have been more intense and the problem more difficult to treat. Everything happens for a reason and I am glad your doctor is taking such really good care of you. Don't give up, this is all within your reach now, just take things as they come as much as you can. You can use this time to start really working on any emotional or head issues you may have with the weight or your self esteem. It will make things that much easier once you get the band.

Cindy

I read all the posts on here, and am always amazed here in cyber space at how very close this forum is. I'm feeling better after a week or so on Nexium and the terrible burning is going away. It's like I said, nights are lonely. I have 2 dogs and a cat, but I lost my husband some years ago, and lonliness and worry set in when the darkness falls. That's when I come here and read how much you all seem to really care about one another, and your posts are so encouraging and sincere. I want so much to have my band, so I have to get better. The dr. seems to think that once the problems are cleared up I will be good to go. It's the darned waiting and trying to not stress over it.

Thanks again for all the support you give me and others. It's a pleasure to come here and read your posts. God Bless each and every one of you. It's wonderful to see you reach out to others for comfort and receive it some heartfelt. You are all great.