Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Using Apidex (Phentermine) until Restriction Hits?

Curious to get some input here. What do you guys think about using Apidex (Phentermine) until restriction sets in? I know, I know, diet pills are not a long term solution. But why not make Bandster hell a little easier on ourselves? When we finally get to restriction, our appetite is controlled and making good choices, portions, etc., is easier, therefore we lose weight. Diet pills do the same thing. They reduce your appetite and make choosing healthy foods, smaller portions, etc. MUCH easier. While we are blowing in the wind during this pre-restriction phase, why not use them if we feel like we could use the help? I guess the challenge would be coming off them so you could actually know you have true restriction versus just the effect of the pill. Hmm...something to think about. I think I will talk to my doctor about it on Monday when I go in for a fill. He does offer apidex to his patients who are close to goal and need a push to lose the last 10-15 pounds. I would appreciate some feedback!

Personally I think diet pills are a very short term solution. I got the Lap Band so I wouldn't need them anymore.

I wouldn't do it b/c they do make your heart race and cause cardiac side effects. I would just stick it out and wait.

I often have wondered the same thing...I used to take phentermines but they made me too damn uptight and spazzy but I have several left that i could take and actually thought about it because Im in big time bandster hell but I decided against it..I wondered if they would upset my stomach more easily. I think the main reason I dont want to take them is because they never worked in the past for me and I spent alot of money on this surgery and trying to just suck it up and stick to it until I get restriction..but I wouldnt be against taking the pills but not sure what the doctors say about it.

About 3 months ago I received an email from my surgeon's practice informing patients that Adipex is available. My instinct was - why would he be offering it if he was confident in the surgery he performed? I read that follow up appts. are usually every 4-6 weeks and my surgeon has put me out to around every 8-10 weeks. When I do see him, he is reluctant to do fills and I do not feel that I am as restricted as I should/could be. I sometimes feel like he underminds his patients progress to make profit in other ways, (diet pills, specialty food, personal trainers, etc....). I am still losing weight, but it is with the same maximum effort that it has always been - without the band! I do have my moments when I consider asking him about the pills and certainly don't pass judgement if you utilize them. I think that if they are a tool like the band, and not a crutch and there are no health issues that would prevent you from being on them, then why not?

Also, for frame of reference sake, does anyone have an idea as to how many ccs people usually are at when the reach the "sweet-spot"? Thanks!

"When we finally get to restriction, our appetite is controlled and making good choices, portions, etc., is easier".

I have to disagree with this statement. I don't think food choices have anything to do with having restriction. I lost 82 pounds pre band on diet and exercise. Having the band does'nt magically make me not want to eat Cookies.

I lost weight through bandster hell - but only because I put my best dieting face on. Don't take the pills - this period is so short and you can do it if you stay focused.

I don't have a desire to eat Cookies - but this is mostly because I am full after I eat the things I have to eat. I think finding that spot where you feel satisifed really works - of course, it does not work on the emotional eater as well - and they told us that up front. Emotional eaters need additional support - and even apidex isn't going to help us with that.

i have to agree with those that think pills shouldn't be taken. It's all about changing our mind set, eat things that are worth eating and make sure you get your 70-80 grams of Protein a day. If you do that you will be full and won't need to take something to get you through this period. I was banded on the 18th and am managing pretty good (I think). I look at things, and think....nope waisted calories that i could actually use on something i can eat and get something out of it. I am losing about 2 lbs a week and will get my first fill on the 22nd. I wish you the best keep up the good work.:(

I never went through bandster hell. I am fortunate to have a surgeon who also has a band and his advice until restriction is "if you're hungry, then eat". He said it doesn't make sense to tell people they can only have 1/2-1 cup of food just because they have a little piece of plastic inside them...until that little piece of plastic helps them be full with that amount of food. What he did stress...making good choices from the start.

Balanced meals

Cutting back on carbs (not eliminating)

Eating Protein first/vegies second/carbs third (if you still can).

Minimum 60gm Protein per day

Minimum eight 8 oz glasses of Water per day

What I've learned, in addition, over the last 9 months is to keep the unsweetened treats to a 'rare' thing (i.e. crystal lite drinks) as even these unsweetened treats create a cycle of craving. I try to drink Water or Decaf unsweetened tea most of the time.

I'm not a diet pill advocate because of all the bad side effects to them. To the person whose doctor pushes the pills and doesn't give fills...find another doctor.

My advice is do listen to your body. Every doctor is different, every doctor tells a different story with a different logic. I agree with ElfiePoo, if a doctor himself has a band, then I trust him twice. My doctor(s) do not have band but they do understand what it is to be on the bandsters hell stage. If you feel you will have a better weight management till you have a fill, take the pills. Remember also, you might need 2-3 fills before a proper restriction. I am 3 weeks post op, and have cheated on my diet, and scared to death till I spoke to my surgeon who explained me not to panic as he stitched my stomach around the band in such a way that its almost impossible for me to slip the band.

"When we finally get to restriction, our appetite is controlled and making good choices, portions, etc., is easier".

I have to disagree with this statement. I don't think food choices have anything to do with having restriction. I lost 82 pounds pre band on diet and exercise. Having the band does'nt magically make me not want to eat Cookies.

That is definitely true. It's just that for me, personally, when I am not hungry, I don't make bad choices. When I am not insanely hungry, I make great food choices and enjoy the healthy food that I eat. Diet pills kill my hunger and really work for me. It's just that you cannot be on them indefinitely. That's why I got banded. I need a permanent solution to my appetite!:(

i have to agree with those that think pills shouldn't be taken. It's all about changing our mind set, eat things that are worth eating and make sure you get your 70-80 grams of Protein a day. If you do that you will be full and won't need to take something to get you through this period. I was banded on the 18th and am managing pretty good (I think). I look at things, and think....nope waisted calories that i could actually use on something i can eat and get something out of it. I am losing about 2 lbs a week and will get my first fill on the 22nd. I wish you the best keep up the good work.:(

I had the exact same mind-set until I hit about 6 weeks post op and 2 weeks post first fill. My hunger is ravenous again. I guess it's only human nature to look for an easier way out of a hard time. I know restriction could be months away and I would like to lose weight while I'm getting there. Yes, I have done it so far the old fashioned way, but I'm scared that I won't be able to continue for so long without some help. If we could lose weight without the band, none of us would have needed this surgery :P

I lost weight through bandster hell - but only because I put my best dieting face on. Don't take the pills - this period is so short and you can do it if you stay focused.

I'm so glad the period was short for you...I hope it is for me, too, but I don't know that yet and am considering options to get through a long period - just in case :(. I go this afternoon for my 2nd fill - wish me luck:thumbup:

:::snipped:::::Also, for frame of reference sake, does anyone have an idea as to how many ccs people usually are at when the reach the "sweet-spot"? Thanks!

I don't like the term "sweet-spot". I just eat my 3oz of Protein, 1/2 cup veggies and move away from the table. If I get hungry sooner than 3 or 4 hours on a routine basis, I know it's time for a fill.

But I know what you're asking and will try to answer. It varies from person to person and from band to band.

However, I've heard for the 10cc APStandard it's somewhere between 4 & 6 cc's.

For the 14 CC APLarge band it's somewhere around 9cc's.

There's also one called a midband I think that's only 4cc capacity.

Then there's the realize bands which I know very little about.

Maybe someone who's more knowledgeable will come along.

But really it's very individual..and the number moves as you lose weight too. I had about 5.5 cc's in April and it was too much. Had about .2 taken out in May.

Sept. 7 I had .25 put back in and it might not be enough..

As you lose weight you also lose internally so the band gets looser and needs more as you go along. :(

Hope this helps.

Edited by Melissannde
clarification

Sorry if I sound harsh, but why get the lap band, if you are thinking of diet pills?

The lapband is a tool, you still have to make good decisions, on what is going into your mouth.

I have had one fill (2cc's) and don't have total restriction.

I still get hungry,but still have to limit myself. I really try to stay around 1200 calories.

Try not to take the pills!!

Good Luck!!

Melissandde,

Thanks for the reply - it does help give me an idea of where I stand compared to the norm. I appreciate you taking the time!