Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Beginning the process

Guest jamminangeleyes

Guest jamminangeleyes

Hello everyone I have just started the whole process I meet with Dr. Kwon In Port Jervis, NY on the 22nd then I can get more info. I have decided at this point that I am going to go with the lap band and I will make a huge change in my life. I am 27 and looking for anyone who can help me through this procedure I know peeople who have had other forms of wls but noone who has ever had this type. I welcome anyone who can add some info to help educate me. Thank you in advance for any support you can be of. I am very excited and ready for the road which is ahead of me.

Welcome, AngelEyes...

There is lots to see and do here... The search function is a good way to get specifics - but you can do yourself a favor by just cruising through some of the forums for a look-see.

Feel free to click around until you feel comfortable... you can't hurt anything.

Good Luck!! And if you don't find the answers to questions you didn't even know you had, I will be very surprised.

:]

Hi! I have to tell you. I have heard a lot of good things about Dr. Kwon! In fact, I emailed him to ask a question. I actually expected his office staff to intercept the call but he emailed me back personally! I have never known a doctor to do that and in such a timely manner.

I am just starting the process too. I've been researching for a couple months and have just called the surgeons office. Unfortunately, not Dr. Kwon because my insurance won't cover him. If you haven't been on, Obesity Help is also a good source of information. They have their own Lap Band forum too. This one is great, but checking out other sources is good for you to do too.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Guest jamminangeleyes

Dr. Kwon is not covered by my insurance either but the hospital fees are covered. I currently have Aetna and all of the local doctors have dropped the company since they dont pay very well. I was quoted an out of pocket fee of 5,000.00 which I believe is a small price to pay. It will take much time to come up with the money but if I channel all my extra money into my health I will be much better off. If you care to keep in touch with me during your search and this process I would like that very much since right now I am in this by myself I really dont have much of a support team.

The other reason why I'm reconsidering meeting with him is that he is 3 1/2 hours from my home. I hesitate to go so far and if there is a problem, I would have to travel so far. My out of pocket is going to be $1500.00, I can't imagine $5000.00. I don't think I'd ever get the surgery done if I had to pay that much. I have too many expenses now and I couldn't save that much!

I don't have much suport either. My husband doesn't say much, sometimes makes sarcastic remarks about my weight and being banded. My mother & sister think I'm crazy, but they are the ones who can barely walk and get winded all the time as they are overweight too! You'd think they'd be happy for me since I want to better my health.

Just PM me if you'd like to talk. I just got my referral approval in the mail yesterday and the packet of information from the surgeon that's closer to my home that I wanted to talk to. I am going to have a hard time filling out all these questions.

Good luck!

Dear Jamm & Lildarlin

I just came from my seminar yesterday and they quoted the cash price for Lapband as:$18,256.00 and Gastric Bypass at $30,000.00+

Those are some heady numbers.

Guest jamminangeleyes

Dutchgrl,

Well thanks for that bit of information, I know that the price without any insurance is pretty hefty. I'm thankful that I will only ned to pay $5,000. I mean if you lok at the whole picture it may seem like its expensive but its a small price for weight loss

Do you attend Mauri's support group? I didn't have my surgery done by Dr. Kwon, but I know several people who did. Have you checked with other surgical groups to find out if Aetna would cover the surgery with them?? $5,000 is quite a bit of money.. You never know.. You might be able to find an equally wonderful surgeon who is covered...