Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band vs traditional "loosing"

I'm curios as to if your "normal" tendencies when dieting (pre-band) tend to hold true when you are loosing with the band.

I.e. - Traditionally my wgt loss has been slow when on any "diet". Have those of you that have the lap band found that this proves to be the case with the band also?

I'm still going to get the band - because even as a slow looser - the thought of loosing a pound and keeping it off - is what's driving me to do this!

BUT... I'd be lying if I told you that I wouldn't be extremely happy if some of you reported that things were different with the band!

Thanks to all that answer!

Patti

In my experience the band helped me lose faster than I ever had before, outside of the three months I once spent on a liquid Protein regimen. Normal "dieting" had never given me results like that before, probably because I'm a LOUSY dieter and have never been able to make one work for me.

But your BMI is only about 34, right? There is no way you're going to lose as fast as someone whose BMI was almost 48, like mine was when I started. It's just not the same animal.

All banding does for you is limit your intake of calories. If you've been able to do that before on your own, then you'll likely get about the same result. I had just never been able to restrict my caloric intake to the same extent that I was able to post-banding, or for so long. There's nothing that's different about the way I've lost weight this time, except that THIS time it's staying off. :(

I've seen my normal tendencies for weight loss trends, which is what I expected since as Alexandra pointed out it's just eating less calories. For me that means I rarely lose 1 lb at a time -- I lose in 2 lb increments it seems. It's often a stair-step thing, where I don't lose anything one week and then 2 or 4 lb loss the next week. I've got the same daily fluctuations up & down as well.

But as far as my old trend of stopping after a couple months -- that hasn't happened because I'm still eating less. (i.e. I just could never stick with a diet long term, but with the band I'm able to do it)

For me, weight loss has been a lot faster. Traditionally, I would lose 10 lbs, hit a plateau, get discouraged and frustrated, and gain 15 back. Now when I hit a plateau and don't lose any pounds, I am excited to see when it will end! Because I know it WILL end and I WILL lose more.

that I cannot eat and enjoy the foods I used to love. pizza, sandwiches, pastries, etc. And I don't miss them. On a regular diet I would crave these items and usually blow my diet for a meal or so of something I really craved especially if moody or PMSing. Now, the thought of eating those items and being very uncomfortable for hours or the possibility of PBing just isn't worth it. So yes, the band taught me to go for quality not quantity. Yes, there are times where I do not eat band-healthy but they are very few and far between. I make it a priority to get my Protein in first and usually I'm not that hungry afterwards.

Just my feelings.

When on a diet pre-op, I would stay away from certain things, and end up eating it to make up for it.. with the band I allow myself to eat anything I want (I have no trouble with any food so far), just limit the size or amount. So far it is working.

Fear is the greatest motivator towards weight loss, according to my doc. He said the same thing for my gallbladder as I lost 35 lbs over 4 months worrying about what I could eat and couldn't without a gallstone flare up.

I suspect the lapband is much the same - eat the wrong food and up it comes, or worse - it makes you feel like calling 911 for a heart attack.

So far in a week yes. Start a diet, drop 4kg in 2 days, put 2 back on the next day. I've done exactly that this week. I'll end the week about 1.5kg lighter than last Friday when I was banded, despite having had a liquid diet all week. That's me to a T, I never have really spectacular early loses, it tends to be slow and steady.

over time I think I'll lose faster simply because I'll stick to it week in week out.

As you can tell from the posts from others before me, it's like everything else, we are respond differently. I would imagine that if you tend to be a slow loser to begin with, that that tendency will be similar. What is different with the band for myself, is I do not experience constant hunger, I don't have cravings for foods I shouldn't eat and those things are what makes it possible for me to chose the healthier way of eating.

I am the type of person, when I am on a diet, I am very,very good, when I am not, forget it, off the charts eating the wrong foods. Funny thing about me, I really enjoy a variety of foods, alot of them very healthy, like fish, fresh fruits and veggies and whole grains, problem is, when I am not dieting, I only eat the less healthy foods, won't even touch the good things, weird, huh?

I am losing really rapidly on this band diet right now. I never really knew what that was until I found this board in August. I sincerely try to follow it as close as possible, but I am human and do occassionally indulge myself in something a little less unhealthy, but that's okay. It really is. I don't feel deprived or guilty, doesn't get much better than that.

I wish you luck on your WLS journey.

Happy Holidays

Cindy

I am losing slower on the band then on my liquid shakes. Liquid shakes are the fastest way to lose, for me at least.

I am yet to get the restriction I need to lose at the rate of 2 or 3 pounds a week. I was banded 9/26/05 and here it is, almost three months later and i have only lost 15 pounds. I guess I should try yet another diet until i get some more fills.