Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared...Surgeon wont call back

My masseuse had mentioned about rubbing my scars 30 minutes a day to help them heal and blend in better. So I started doing that a few days ago but this morning I came upon a golf ball sized hard mass type thing it is in between the two upper small incisions and the longer port incision like right below my right rib cage. I can feel something move when I walk and when I lay down that side of the stomach kind of sticks out. With palpation if feels tender. I am trying to figure out what it could be. I know where my port is I can clearly feel that but this is new. I called the surgeon yesterday right at 8am. The nurse was busy so I left a message on her machine. She never called me back. Today I called about an hour ago and she was busy yet again so I left another message. I would think this would be of some importance especially taking into consideration the way I felt this morning and the hot/cold sweats. I am pretty sure I was running a temp about two nights ago but I never checked it... I’m a little scared... I hope I didn’t do anything when I fell a week ago....

I would keep calling back until you reach them. I would want answers right away.

Im not doing it hard and they are all healed. It is a light rub. But this mass thing isnt under and incision like the port is.

I am sorry you are having problems. And not to dismiss the way you feel or the fact their office hasn't called you back, but it probably has nothing to with the actual lapband. As a nurse if I have 10 phone messages I (myself) am gonna go in order and by severity. Could you call your PCP?

Also, it has always been suggested to me not to massage your incisions until you are a good 6 month to 1 year out. I have a pacemaker and got permission to rub that site at my 6 month follow up. But that is something much different. That is just the advice we give at the hospital I work at regarding C-Section incisions.

Please keep us updated!

According to my surgeon massage of the scars are absolutely fine provided they are completely healed shut. Massage helps to break down the fibrous mesh that is formed in scar tissue, thus, encouraging remodeling of the tissue and promotes better healing of the scar. It also helps prevent scar tissue from getting hard.

This mass is not near or beneath an incision. I didn’t have it before surgery. I am not saying it is related but things can happen.

Nurse called and left a message. There phones have been down since yesterday…What a great thing to have happen in a surgical office…But she was on the phone when I called back.. Told me to call her in the A.M…

P.S. I have also started running a fever..

According to my surgeon massage of the scars are absolutely fine provided they are completely healed shut. Massage helps to break down the fibrous mesh that is formed in scar tissue, thus, encouraging remodeling of the tissue and promotes better healing of the scar. It also helps prevent scar tissue from getting hard.

This mass is not near or beneath an incision. I didn’t have it before surgery. I am not saying it is related but things can happen.

Nurse called and left a message. There phones have been down since yesterday…What a great thing to have happen in a surgical office…But she was on the phone when I called back.. Told me to call her in the A.M…

P.S. I have also started running a fever..

I would go to the ER in light of the temp, lump..and cold sweats...

Geez id be annoyed!!! My surgeon gives all his patients his personal cell number ....I love my office .

a hard lump sounds like a possible infection. Now that you have a fever too it's probably likely and you shouldn't wait any longer. Go see your pcp or head to urgent care or the er. You don't want to let a surgical site infection go so long...

best of luck

In the messages you leave are you telling them you have a fever or suspect an abcess or are having an emergency? If so, they should have called you back and told you to come in right away. This sounds like something I would not let go. It is not good to let an infection fester. You could just show up at the office because they would not return your calls.

Just got back from the surgeon’s office, I met with the Nurse. She ended up pulling another surgeon in the room because mine is in surgery today. He is not sure what it is but said it MIGHT be fluid.. Whatever it is it has gone up under the port and turned it on its side ..He said it doesn’t look like or feel like infection or scar tissue… He said to watch it, take it easy and call on Monday if there is no improvement… Take Tylenol….well all the liquid and chewable Tylenols are on recall….and that stuff isn’t made in off brand.

You can use double dose of store brand Jr. strength.I'm glad you had it looked at.

CVS carries their own brand of tylenol that is not recalled.

I've been using the store brand Jr. Tylenol/Aceteminiphin meltaways... 6 of them can be used for a 1000 mg dose... (160 mg each x 6 is 960mg) But go for grape... the bubblegum flavor is yuck!