Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

brain surgery for weight loss???

Just flipped on primetime (ABC) and they are doing brain surgery on an obese woman to trigger weight loss.

WOW Gotta watch the whole thing now....

Hi Tracy, I just read yo post. It's 9:30 p.m. her in L.A. so I set my DVR to tape it. I'd be interested in know what you thought of the show. I will probably watch tomorrow when I get home from work.

Hope you post you thoughts about the show, whether it's worth watching, etc.

Fran

Thanks for your post. Here in L.A. also and set to record show also.

That sounds scary! It was hard enough making the decision to have elective surgery to have a lapband put in, imagine having to decide to have brain surgery instead. is this one of the op's that they do whilst you are awake like the op's for parkinsons etc?

I taped it too and will watch the rest laster. Yes, you are awake. They stimulated the brain and created cravings, heartburn and vomiting. Really weird...

I watched this too! I was banded on Sept. 2, so I am a newbie and I am still having trouble sleeping, so I got really into this news story. My take on it is this, yes-it did eliminate the woman's craving for bad foods, and she wasn't eating all the time, but she only lost 5 pounds in 3 months time. It just proved that NO surgery is a "miracle." We all still have to watch what we eat and exercise. The woman featured in this story was, as far as I could tell, inactive! She was making better food choices, but no surgery is a cure all. Some of the other people they featured battled (and still do battle) with their food addiction, and lost weight. Overall, I thought this was a very interesting story. I had a hard enough time deciding on the Lap Band, I think brain surgery is out of the question for me. Well, so was Lap Band 2 years ago!!

I listened to a news story not long ago where FDA is now considering an implant for weight loss (sorta like a pacemaker for the heart ) its implanted near appetite central wherever that is and shocks to eliminate hunger. It would need to be replaced every two yrs. I guess one day in the near future lap banding will seem soooooooo old school......hahaha!