Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First fill

I had my first fill on Monday and the strangest thing is happening. I actually feel less restricted than I did BEFORE I had a fill and I've put on 4 pounds?! I called my doctor but they were out for the long weekend so I need to wait until Tuesday.

I'm down 19 pounds total since my pre-surgery diet (Surgery date 7/23/2010) and as mentioned have gained 4 back since my first fill. I find this very odd-why would I feel less restriction than when I didn't have any cc's in my band? Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks!

I've read it happening to others. I've also read of folks who don't feel the fill kick in until a couple of weeks after the the fill.

Although it hasn't happened to me, I don't think you are alone.

As to the gain, it could just be coincidental. A bit of bloat? Were you on liquids after the fill? Maybe some full salt broth or something?

4 pounds of fat would be a huge caloric increase. 14,000 excess calories to be exact. Did you go that crazy on milk shakes after the fill? I sort of doubt it. :thumbup:

The board has been kind of show this weekend. Hopefully someone who has had this experience will offer some advise soon.

Thanks for your reply! Honestly, I don't really know if I'm posting to the correct place. I don't find this site very user friendly or perhaps I'm just technically challenged. Anyway, I've posted a blog before and seemed to get better response from that.

First-the 4 pounds are gone. Thank you for your encouragement about how much I would have had to consumed to gain an actual 4 pounds. :) I talked to my nurse and she said it is quite normal with the first adjustment that it doesn't last long. I'm going back in on the 20th to get another fill which should help.

I do feel a bit out of control with what I'm eating, though. It seems like since surgery, with or without a fill, my ability to eat much has diminished significantly. This week seems as though I'm eating more than I was. So, I'm going to journal everything I eat to really get a handle on it while I'm waiting for a fill.

Again, thanks for your kind and encouraging words. It's so nice to have people to "chat" with that know what I'm experiencing!

Glad to hear the 4 pounds are gone! Sometimes there is no explaining it.

This forum is good and also the post-op forum. They are the most active in my opinion. You can also use the search feature to find new posts since the last time you were here or posts that have not been answered. You can search, too, for key words and phrases.

One you get the hang of it, this is a great place to be for support!