Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reading online about LapBand failured

Hi all :biggrin:

I am getting banded on 09-10-10 and am looking online (maybe too much!) for information on the lap band. I know what I am signing up for... but I stumbled upon a website that people post their negative lap band experiences on. A few of them are saying they throw up every meal...even if it is a small Protein meal like chicken, tuna or yogurt. This has me freaked out. I know that the process is hard...and I know that I will be working "with" my band to achieve weight loss and a healthy life...does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

Currently 246

5"6

20 to 22 pant size/ 2x top

There's always gonna be negative comments, there's always gonna be people who don't work with the band, there's always gonna be people who have problems, and there's always gonna be people who are miserable with WLS.

To quote someone I read on this forum ... people don't post about the good stuff. They don't say, "Hey guys! It's day 214 and it's just wonderful!" or "Okay, so I'm on day 53 and it was just like 52. Chugging along." You may get some people who do this but not a whole lot. You're gonna get people who want advice or help or a venting wall to complain to.

Don't look at the negatives. Just look at a few of the people's stories on this forum and their successes with the band. I know they have inspired me greatly and I appreciate everyone on here.

You may have the best time with the Lap Band... and you may have erosion or slippage or a port flip. But you can work through all of these problems and be successful.

*Gets off soapbox.*

If you read everything you will get some good and some bad reviews. I know the LapBand really does not work for some people. But for most it does. You have to be willing give up a few things and be willing to follow the rules.

Sometimes I do throw up but most of the time it is because I did not chew good and maybe the first or second bite did not go down and everything piled up on top of it. If I get stuck 65% of the time it is coming up. Very few times does it go down. But I do not throw up every day or everyweek, but most times you can tell when you throw up stuff was not chewed good.

I am a year and 2 months out and down about 73 lbs. I love my band and would do it again in a minute.

Cheri

Some folks believe that the tighter you have your band then the faster you loose the weight. This is not necessarily true as it stops you swallowing healthy food and makes you turn to junk food, high cal choc. shakes, ice cream etc.

You need to find the balance where you can still eat small healthy meals but are not hungry most of the time.

Please notice I use the words 'not hungry' rather than 'full' or 'satisfied'. In my opinion too many folks want to feel full all of the time rather than just not hungry and there is a big difference.

I think there are more people that fail their bands than there are bands that've failed their people!!!

Good luck on your journey.

Thanks everyone...I will start looking at more positive threads and stories...I am ready to kick this weight's butt!

I think it's important to keep in mind that people tend to post when they are having difficulties. Those of us who are doing great don't tend to post, "Had another great day today--no problems at all!"

People post to vent, or to get solutions---but there are an awful lot of us who are really happy with the band.

Had another great day!!! no problems at all! :smile: 2 1/2 years out. Just had an upper GI and all is well.

As a previous poster said. Once you are past the immediate post-op period and have learned basic band behavior, most problems are the result of pilot error.

Yes, there are those who have complications through no fault of their own. This is true of any medical procedure. You need to weigh the risks to benefits.

As Betsy said, most people who post are looking for help/advice/motivation/information. It can give a slanted view.

I had lasik surgery several years ago. I posted on lasik boards before I had it done and for a time after. Now that I am seeing clearly and well, I don't go any longer. The people there who had been around for long periods were those with complications.

It's one of the reasons I hang around here. I am doing fine with my band, but I like to give a positive view. I also helps me with motivation and support.

Thanks again all :smile: I really appreciate every reply, it really helps quench some of the anxiety... like most "diets" I am kind of expecting failure...but I have to keep self, spirit and motivation in check!

Thanks again!

Thanks again all :smile: I really appreciate every reply, it really helps quench some of the anxiety... like most "diets" I am kind of expecting failure...but I have to keep self, spirit and motivation in check!

Thanks again!

I think we can all relate to the fear of failure of the band.

We have tried so many things, why should this be any different?

But it is! Truly, it is!

Trust yourself and your decision, trust your surgeon. Follow the rules and be a good bandster. The odds are in your favor!!

It can be very hard to remain positive but its the most important piece of the puzzle. Your attitude will determine your results.

Its so true that as a general rule, the people who post are the ones experiencing difficulties. what's more natural than to reach out and ask if anyone else is having the same trouble? When things are going well you just tend to get on with it all and dont ask questions.

there ARE lots and lots of successful bandsters out there, they just dont tend to be online giving the positive side of it.

You guys rock, thank you so much...3 days to go!