Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Halt on Weight Loss, Already????

I was banded August 17th. I have lost 24 pounds

- which I know is great! 14 pounds was from my 10 day pre-op diet, and 10 pounds the week after surgery. I'm a little frustrated as the scale hasn't budged in the past 10 days.... I'm doing everything I'm supposed to do! I mean, I'm eating like 1/3 of what I used to eat! And much better choices! What gives? Is my metabolism slowing down with the decreased calories? My doctor says the first 6 weeks really aren't about losing weight, but....that's what will keep me going....

But I am proud and thrilled with my 24 pounds gone! Just a little worried....:):thumbup:

Well, smaller bodies do use fewer calories, so in that sense--yes, your metabolism is slowing. But that's something that occurs no matter how you lose weight, or how fast. (And it's not likely to be what's at play right now.)

You say that you're making better choices. Does your doctor have a recommended eating plan? I ask, because some do have an, "Eat what you like--just less" approach, and IMO, having some general guidelines tends to produce better results, at least at the beginning.

That said, what are you eating? In what quantities. It can be really useful to journal someplace like fitday.com; you can assess, then, whether your food choices are supportive of weight loss.

You can also track your exercise---at this point, your body's ready for cardio, at the very least. (You need clearance from your surgeon before you do resistance or other workouts.) And you should be doing something daily, for optimal results.

If you really are doing everything you can to support weight loss, take a deep breath, and relax. Our bodies really do sometimes just take breathers from loss. Mine does it every 25 pounds or so; it doesn't tend to persist for very long, but it is frustrating. That's where journaling comes in handy; I can assess whether I'm doing all I need to be doing, then just let go and wait it out.

(Having a BodyBugg has helped me see how my caloric needs change with weight loss, too--this has been really useful for me. If you don't have a BodyBugg and/or aren't interested in one, that's fine---you just have to keep in mind that as you lose, your intake will have to go down. It's one of the cruelties of the universe! As we get smaller, we just need less to keep our bodies going.)

Thanks Betsy, I actually have been tracking my calories on my Iphone (with an application). I'm getting in about 1000-1100 per day. Which is up from last week of 700-900. With swelling going down, I can definately eat more. My doctor basically said not to worry about calories now- I will get a fill at 6 weeks and meet again with the nutritionist to form a plan.

I am back to exercise, so I'm sure that will help. It's a good thing mentally for me! I'm just assuming my body needs to adjust (at least that's what I'm hoping!)

It really does need to adjust. And periodically, it will do it again. It's frustrating---but it passes :biggrin:

We were banded the same day !!! Im in the same boat ...i lose 3 then 3 come back! my body wants to hold on to it. Im not cheating , and im just starting back at the gym. Its a process . Add me as a friend , we can bounce things off one another, after all we were banded the same day!

Jennifer

Don't feel bad. I was banded in April, lost 40lbs between then and now but my scale hasn't budged (despite the constant yelling and threats) however my clothes show the difference. So now I think it's quite amusing actually. I've dropped 2 sizes since my scale 'froze'; so now I just glare at it. I know, I know, it's not the scales' fault.

So hang in there:)

Skylla

I was banded August 17th. I have lost 24 pounds

- which I know is great! 14 pounds was from my 10 day pre-op diet, and 10 pounds the week after surgery. I'm a little frustrated as the scale hasn't budged in the past 10 days.... I'm doing everything I'm supposed to do! I mean, I'm eating like 1/3 of what I used to eat! And much better choices! What gives? Is my metabolism slowing down with the decreased calories? My doctor says the first 6 weeks really aren't about losing weight, but....that's what will keep me going....

But I am proud and thrilled with my 24 pounds gone! Just a little worried....:smile::thumbup:

This weekend is finally the turning point for me ....i feel on top of the world.

Jennifer,

I would totally add you as a friend if I knew how.... I'm computer illiterate! ?sp? Glad you've turned the corner. I'm still there. I need to break up with my scale for awhile. I'm on it every day... not good.

Can't wait to get to solids next week, but my doctor said some people actually gain some weight when they start solids! Ugh!

Keep up the good work!

Lisa