Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So, i have been out of surgery for 1 week now and I am liquid shakes. OMG!! I cant shake this Diarrhea. I take the shakes and here come the runs. They told me I had to be on these for a while but God dang I am tired of having to run to the restroom every couple of hours. What did you guys do to cope? or is this problem only with me? Thanks guys.

Oh, yeah where do you guys get those neat little weight loss tickers you guys have at the bottom of each post?

Sorry to hear about your diarrhea!! This is something i will not be looking forward to in a couple weeks!

Don't get dehydrated!

(click on the ticker, it will take you to where you can create your own and then go to your settings and copy and paste it to your signature.)

Cool thank you for that.

Everyone is different. Hopefully it doesnt get to you like it did me. Good luck

For the first couple days I had severe diarrhea which I think may have been from the meds and IV. Also I used some "protein shots" and I think the quality of the Protein was not great and caused part of this problem. For the first week I was on Clear Liquids and I don't think that helped. I bought a large container of unflavored Benefiber and add it to everything hot and cold. It does'nt affect the flavor or thicken. I think it is really helping.

I mix the generic brand (CVS) of Benefiber in hot broth 3x/day, it makes a HUGE difference. Good luck.

I'm on day 8 and I also have the diarrhea. I've been drinking gatorade because I was getting dehydrated from all the loss of Fluid and the elektrolytes help out a bunch. Every day I see a little improvement, so I'm sure you will too. Good Luck!

I was clearly told to contact the doctor if I had bad diarrhea. I would do that if I were you. You should not have to suffer with this!

My first thought was that you are lactose intolerant. Are you making the shakes with milk? I switched to light soy milk and no longer have cramps/gurgling/gas. I think I was just consuming way too much milk in a day.

Give it a try, and you'll probably like the taste and texture of soy milk anyway. It's yummy!

I also had the same problem but mine was from the antibiotic in the IV. I ended up getting dehydrated and ended up in the ER so be careful.

I had horrible diarrhea the entire two weeks I was on the pre-op, Atkins diet, then had it the first two weeks after surgery. It was awful, yet at the same time, I knew it was also a good way for my body to rid itself of all the poisons I had put into it beforehand. It will go away eventually, I promise.

I am 9 days post-op and only had diarrhea once. My day consist of 3 Kellogg's Special K Protein Shakes and 1 can of Soup mixed with milk. You might ought to give your doctor a call.

I am also having diarrhea after every shake as well. I had to do liquids for 2 weeks before surgery and I had diarrhea at first, but I added benefiber and it helped. Now postop I started having diarrhea so I added the benefiber and it continued, so I contacted my dietician. She told me that the benefiber could be adding to my diarrhea, so I stopped it. I have also switched to lactose free milk and I've tried immodium, mylanta, tums, and gas-x. I am miserable, when I have diarrhea it's not like I just go. I get cramps and you can hear my stomach growling from across the room! I am to the point where I don't even want to have my shakes. I am so fatigued, I don't even know what to do! I have started having a yogurt daily (even though I am not supposed to) and that seems to help calm my stomach. I hope this goes away soon, it is getting old quick! Hope maybe you are having better luck!

Protein shakes actually can be really harsh on the stomach, not to mention if you're making them with milk, its often a lot more milk in a day than the average adult is used to. Also, liquids in tends to equal liquids out.

its a fairly normal post op experience, but you do have to be mindful of dehydration. Things like benefibre and metamucil help as they provide some bulk to the stool and slow down its passage through your body. Also, you could ask your doc if you can have something like Imodium.

But also - I was never put on a shake regime. I got through liquids on things like fruit smoothies, thin yogurt, pureed fruit and home made vegetable Soups - with meat blended into them for Protein. Protein Shakes just arent such a big thing here, they can be part of a post op regime but are not often prescribed as the be all and end all weight loss. so perhaps try taking in some other foods too - in liquid form of course.

For the 1st week post-op, I had diarrhea too! I was on clear liquids without Protein Shakes, so I can't blame it on the lactose or Protein. I was like Ashbe925, you could hear my stomach across the room!! It was soooo annoying! By day 4, I called my doc and asked to take immodium and was told no. He said that if the diarrhea is caused by some sort of "bug", than that's the body's way of ridding the offender. He did advance me to stage 2 and that seemed to help. I didn't think it was a "bug", I thought it was caused by the liquid diet. After only taking in liquids for a week, only liquids came out for a week...lol... Stage 2 food had more consistency to it and so did the diarrhea. Once I got to stage 3, aaahhh, normal at last. Now in hind site, I think I would've lost more weight by now if I had done the liquid diet for the entire week.

I had diarrhea post op also. I took a car trip to the keys and it happened on the drive. I was humiliated and embarrased. So i went to the drug store and bought immodium. I took 2 pills and never had diarrhea again. As a matter of fact i had to take milk of magnesia later on, it worked so well.