Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am eating out 3x this week. How do you handle these types of thing? It does not happen often, but I find it very stressful: Where are we going? What can I eat? How can I maneuver myself to be on the end if I need to be sick? I actually find myself considering backing out of these invites. I haven't yet, but think it may be easier.

Most people I socialize with know I have been banded, but I HATE talking about it all the time and making an issue of it.

Maybe I am just whining a bit today...LOL

You never go wrong with eating a salad. :)

I like to check online at the menus too. I try to get salads as a entree or stick to grilled chicken or meat. Red sauce is less fattening than white sauces. And I ask for my veggies steamed. And the most important... utilize the doggie bag.

I think your right to be concerned. Maybe you can make suggestions on the type of places to go, so you have control of the situation. Look for the easy choices, Soups, small soft meats, steamed or cooked vegs.

Today is applebees. I have had the under 500 calorie peppercorn steak, but that was when I had a lot less restriction. Sometimes I get quesadillas ,appetizer size, and share. I will see what Soup they have too. Though at 95 degrees today, Soup has little appeal.

Last night I had sauerbraten and it was good! I ate 2 thin slices and had one very crispy potato pancake. All doused w/ gravy. High calories, I know, but it was easy on the band. I chewed and chewed. My friends were teasing me about it, But I was still eating my 1/2 meal when they were already done with huge spaghetti and chicken parm plates. I am learning!

Just gets frustrating.

I eat out at least 5 days a week.

I just relax and get what I feel like eating. It's not about what you eat. It's about how you eat it.

Cut it small and chew each piece long and hard.

Have the waitress take your glass away when she delivers the entree and don't be afraid to ask for a to go box early as well.

PS. Yes, you can go wrong with a salad. I tend to be hungry as soon as I get back to my desk if all I have is a salad for lunch.

I eat out at least 5 days a week.

I just relax and get what I feel like eating. It's not about what you eat. It's about how you eat it.

I agree that you need to take small bites and chew well in terms of not getting sick. However, what you eat is very important to weight loss.

If I am eating out I focus on foods that are band friendly rather than ones that will promote weight loss.

I am surprised that some of your previous replies suggested foods such as grilled chicken or meat. These are some of the hardest foods to get down post band. I also agree that a salad is not very satisfying and some of those salad vegetables can cause problems. Especially fancy lettuce,raw carrots.

I tend to go for foods like Pasta dishes or risotto's. I know some people can't do Pasta or rice post band but I generally never have problems with either. When you have risotto generally the rice has been really well cooked and has absorbed all the liquid it can so it is not going to swell in your stomach. Things like a starter size canelloni or lasagne work well for me. If there is nothing like that on the menu then I would probably pick a burger rather than a steak and not eat the bread. Foods that have been slow cooked are pretty good too e.g lamb shanks.

Other than that it can be hit or miss.I had Indian twice in the space of a fortnight. The first time no problems. the second time i ended up sliming and uncomfortable. both times i had made similar choices so it was probably the different cooking styles at the different restaurants. Either that or my hormones must have been playing up.

Ask if you can eat off of the kids menu they usually have softer food choices in smaller portions. Ill never forget about 4 weeks post op I wanted a mcdonalds cheeseburger so bad. I went through the drive through and tried to eat it while still in the car. Two bites and I was puking all in the carpet. I dont miss cheeseburgers anymore!! LOL

I had: One cheese stick cut up tiny. (heavenly)

5 nacho chips w/ spinach-artichoke dip

3 wedges of an appetizer quesadilla.

I ate very slowly and calmly. High calories for sure, but worked Ok w/ band. I waited a good 1/2 hour and had a cup of tea. OOPS! Too full and back it came. Not stuck, but full to the brim I guess. Luckily I was in rest room. LOL

When I think about the amount of appetizers and a full meal I would have consumed in the past, it makes me sick!