Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First glass of wine stories?

OK, my weakness is wine not ice cream. So I was a bad girl last night and had a glass of white wine. (I am still on liquid phase and this is liquid right??!!). Anyway, it tasted bad to me and my taste buds were not ready for it after having protien drinks for 13 days. My mouth was dry as the desert all night as I slept even though I drank 2 glasses of Water after the wine.

Anyway, I am glad because I am not going to hurry to have another glass now. That will make me fall off the health wagon faster than ice cream.

Does anyone else that likes an occasional drink have a story of their experience of alcohol with the band??

I will say wine will impede your weight loss more than just the calories it holds. I was still having my daily glass of wine during my weight loss stage and "fitting" in the calories. But when I got to the last 15 pounds I could not lose it while drinking wine. I stopped wine and replaced the 200 calories with food and lost the last little bit in about a month. Now I only drink wine on Friday night. (Which is also saving me a lot of money!)

I was reading a nutrition text book recently and it stated that your body burns all the alcohol before it even considers starting to burn fat so if you consume 200 calories a day in alcohol you have to exercise an extra 30 min a day (estimated) at 80% of you heart capacity to reach the fat burning stage.

Great to know this info. I think wine is what got me into this situation in the first place. I blew up like a blimp one I had my babies and started drinking wine with my dinner to relax in the evenings.

Ok, I can say that I had my first taste of post-op alcohol last weekend. (I am 3 wks post-op as of Monday) I had about 3 drinks. The worst part for me was the way I felt the next day. I HAD a high tolerance for alcohol but I felt very hungover and VERY dehydrated. It was difficult to not gulp a bottle of Water, especially with food. I was soooo thirsty. It just wasn't worth catching up on hydrating. I will definately be more cautious next time and limit myself to 1 drink. And I didn't really need the additional calories. Feeling a little guilty about it now. :biggrin:

I SOOO wanted a glass of wine tonight. We actually make wine and so do some of our friends. Of course, our friend just so happened to drop off a gallon of his absolutely perfect wine. I so badly wanted a glass, but only took a small sip of my husbands. It was awesome but I only took the one sip because I was too scared to have anymore. Not to mention my husband watches me like a hawk to make sure that I am doing what I am supposed to and support me. Thanks for telling me you tried it too.

He watches you like a hawk and supports you by drinking wine in front of you, knowing how badly you would like a glass..........that would be frustrating...lol

Drinking alcohol helped to get me where I am weight wise.

Alcohol bloats me terribly. I have not had any wine since a couple of days before my surgery and I have already released so much of the bloat . I won't be doing alcohol for a long time to come.

It's not worth it to me. Losing weight is my top priority now.

Well ladies and gents,

I went out last Sat. and started drinking at two in the afternoon, (vodka and fuze) and didn't stop till two in the morning,,,,,,WHO-WHO-WHOOOOOOO.

Next day, oh man sicky sicky, and ate slider (lowcal) foods for comfort. I do however allow my self one bad day a week (nature of the beast). So this week so far have lost another pound, down 26 pounds since surgery 4 weeks and two days ago!

Before surgery I had cocktail hour every day! I really don't miss it that much at all. That ones a real shock to me:eek:!

That is my two cents worth

Peace out

Kelly:rolleyes:

I was banded in early October and the weekend before Thanksgiving my sister and I painted the LR. When we were done on Sunday night, I grabbed 2 wine coolers from the fridge. God only knows how old they were. I drank about half and realized it was carbonated.I was so aware of NO SODA, that I forgot other things have bubbles! I had a bit more and was fine. There is alcohol abuse in my family and as I am single am always driving alone to and from parties, so I RARELY drink.

Do bandsters have issues w/ alcohol the way By Pass people do? I have witnessed this and it is not pretty.

Holy god do I miss my beer. I am a huge microbrew and Guinness fan. Haven't had any since Aug. 7. I was banded Aug 26th and the next day the damn Octoberfests beers started coming out! Bah! I want one so bad.....

I was banded in early October and the weekend before Thanksgiving my sister and I painted the LR. When we were done on Sunday night, I grabbed 2 wine coolers from the fridge. God only knows how old they were. I drank about half and realized it was carbonated.I was so aware of NO SODA, that I forgot other things have bubbles! I had a bit more and was fine. There is alcohol abuse in my family and as I am single am always driving alone to and from parties, so I RARELY drink.

Do bandsters have issues w/ alcohol the way By Pass people do? I have witnessed this and it is not pretty.

Please elaborate on the bypass comment?

I'm not a wine drinker, but i am a diet coke addict, my surgery is coming up and I am trying to cut down, but i hope at some point i can enjoy a can now and then?

Anybody know about diet coke post op? My friend said to let it go flat and then drink it, but then i wouldn't want it!

Thanks is advance!

Edited by bandalley

While some on here say their doc allows it occasionally or if they flatten it, the majority of surgeons say NO carbonation at all. The bubbles and gas expand the pouch which is counter-productive.

A co worker had bypass and ignored this rule from day 1. She claims they never said why and that she thought they meant she would not be able to tolerate it. She decided to re introduce to her system immediately. When I researched my surgery and explained it she was shocked. The girl was 500 lbs when she started lost 125 over 4 years and from what I hear has totally "undone" the impacts of her surgery. No head work there at all.

Anyway, my loooooong point is that soda is generally a NO NO!

Thanks Tracy, that's what i was afraid of.

Avoid the carbonation!!

My doc says no alcohol for four months post-op. I thought this would be a very hard rule for me to follow (we are very social and drinking is usually always involved!) but it has me feeling a bit empowered, if I do say so myself! He also says no caffeine 2 months post op. I went cold turkey on both, the day i started my pre-op on July 5. Haha, had a great 4th and then the party ended! I feel more awake and alert since I have given up caffeine and giving up alcohol has saved me a lot of empty calories and bad decisions on post-party eating. Right around Thanksgiving will be the 4 month mark for me, so I might enjoy some wine with my Turkey. When I do go back to drinking, I think it will be a weekend only thing for me...not daily like it used to be. No beer, though. I've given up carbonation, too! I like the idea of crystal light, G2, and Fuse Slenderize with a little vodka :) My husband is AMAZED that I have given up alcohol so easily. I always tell him that food is my vice, not alcohol. I really can take it or leave it even though I used to enjoy it quite frequently.