Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

seminar information

Hi everyone! I'm registered to attend a lapband seminar this Thursday and I'm really nervous. I'm going by myself since my family isn't very supportive of this. I'm wondering what to expect in the seminar. Is it just general information about the surgery? I've done a lot of research over the past few weeks and feel pretty informed on how it all works.

At this point I don't have insurance so I know I will be paying for this out of pocket. Also, I haven't had a primary care physician for about a year and a half since I moved to the midwest. Do you think I should see a doctor before I even go to the seminar?

When I write this out they seem like silly questions, but they've been stressing me ever since I registered for the seminar.

First congrats on starting your journey to get banded! Sorry to hear that your family isn't too supportive, but we all support you here and you know what's best for your health, right?

Per the seminar it is usually general information. How the Lapband works, what to expect after surgery, pre-surgery preparations, the type of lifestyle changes that will have to be made, etc. It's a good chance to meet your surgeon indirectly.

I didn't see my PCP before the seminar; in fact she was clueless as to what the Lapband is. :cursing: In any case, going is up to you. Maybe you want to go to the seminar, get a good grasp and things, and then if you decide you're ready to be banded, I'd then visit your PCP if all signs are pointing towards yes.

Best of luck!

I knew more about the procedure than I learned at the seminar to be truthful. The first seminar I went to the surgeon had a program fee not covered by insurance $400 worth. When asked what that was for they said well to cover this meeting and make photocopies (of the hand outs). Okay so I should cover out of pocket your marketing costs? I don't think so. So I called the second doctor on my list one that was about 10 minutes further away but at a world class hospital. I live just outside the Greater Boston area so had A LOT of really good medical choices. Some doctors have a non insurnace covered program fee that includes fills however. I would check to see if the doctor has a set Cash price.

I watched a news show recently that hightlighted how differently the cost of medical procedures could be in a particular geographical area (Colonoscopy, PAP Smears, etc). It was shocking how the price was double at some hospitals.

I would also ask the business office and your insurance how they would handle the billing if during the surgery they discover that you have a hietal hernia. My surgery repaired a hernia I did'nt even know I had. I've read where many cash pay people pay full price for the surgery and then the surgeon turns around and charges your insurnace for the hernia surgery as well. To me that's one surgery really for the price of Two.

Not to confuse you even more just wanted to pass along what I've heard.

The two seminars I went to (by the same surgeon - 1 year apart) were about 2 hours of him talking about the procedures he did in depth.

He talked about what the Lap Band was, where it was placed, how it was placed, what happened when it was placed, how the surgery works, the before care, the during care, the after care, what a fill was, how it worked, why it worked, how you got a fill, long term care, weight loss stats, how to fail it, how to succeed with it, and so on.

Pretty much it's all the information you can find yourself online or by asking the members of the forum... but, I dunno... just hearing my surgeon talk about it kind of comforted me. Like he knew what he was doing!

After all that he had some previous patients come up and chat about their experiences and such.

I'm pretty sure you're required to go to the seminar but it really is a good choice to go. A lot of information is given and you can chat with the surgeon or ask any question you may have. So come prepared!