Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

i just got my lap-band® a week ago, and am still on a liquid diet.. and have been for the 10 days before that, and i don't know if anyone else ever feels like this but lately i've just started getting really upset and crying (maybe its just pms :/ ) feeling like i'll never get to eat anything again, and feeling like i'm completely left out of my life, since i can't eat anything i haven't been able to go out with my friends or family to eat. i guess i was just wondering if anyone else ever felt like this? and what you did to feel better? :thumbup:

I was banded on 7/8/10 and I really got depressed there for a bit after my surgery. I was really moody and cried alot. I think that it is such a drastic change in your life have WLS that it takes you awhile for your mind to catch onto the fact that you have changed your life. I also know...that no matter how much the docs told me, no matter how much I read and knew about WLS...I still for some reason in my mind thought that I should be losing a miraculous amount of weight quickly...even though "I knew better than that". I have lost 22 lbs. in a little less than 2 mos. but, I still feel down on myself for not losing more than that. Plus, I know I feel so much pressure from others...(and it may be totally in my own mind) but, I feel like those who know about my WLS... are critiquing me whenever they see me...judging if I've lost much weight if not just outright asking me...lol. As a matter of fact, I feel more self conscious about my body image today than I did pre-band. I guess because I am really wanting this to work and I am scared that I am going to fail the band and myself. I try hard to keep myself in check and realize I am fighting bigger demons than just my weight...I am going to have to win the battle over my mind as well. So, long story short...I totally understand how you feel and I think this is a natural process most of us bandsters have or are going through. I guess like with anything else...there are going to be good days and bad days. Good luck with your journey and keep your chin up! Things have to get better for us! At least now we have done something for ourselves! =)

It is very common to be depressed after this type of surgery. I was banded 8/16. I am 2 weeks out today. I do seem to get a little depressed here and there. I printed pictures out of dresses and cloths that i want to wear when I slim down. I also started a scrap book of all the things I want to do once I start losing some weight. Like go back on roller coasters. :thumbup:. This helps me so much.

i was banded on Aug 26th and the day after surgery i totally broke down while having Breakfast with my husband... all i could eat was broth and Jello and he was able to eat all that he wanted i felt like i had lost my best friend, here i was in pain and had no way of comforting myself the way i used to. my hubby got so sad he quit eating and that made it worse. but every day is getting a little better. i so cant wait till i can have more than just Clear Liquids :thumbup: Good luck to you things will get better!

:thumbup:Oh how I have felt this way. Had a little meltdown yesterday when hubby was going to get ice cream...I was really ok with it but he got upset and said it wasnt worth it to eat in front of me...so then I felt bad, I am realizing that this is my journey ...........it is hard when he is fixing foods I love, but then I decided that is how I got to where I was because of ALL the food I love. I usually sit outside by myself and remind myself why I did this, for ME, or go lay down for a little nap. Everyone assures me it will get better and I am sure it will with every step, every stage, what is nice we have these places to confirm our decisions and deal with the other factors...........good luck on our journey, God Bless:thumbup:

It's very natural to feel this way! I went through the same thing - between a 3 weeks (horrible) pre-op diet and 4 weeks of limited foods, post-surgery...that's 7 weeks of no real food! It takes a strong person to get through this surgery - and you CAN do it!

There is absolutely light at the end of the tunnel - I'm 6 months out and life is amazing. I eat...it's just a little bit of it versus the WHOLE thing. It takes some mental adjusting but, you will get there. And you WILL eat again. I promise. :thumbup:

Also - I wanted to add that a good way to vent (and see your journey later) is to journal or blog. That helped me a TON. And, it's so awesome being able to see your emotional (as well as physical) journey.

I just wanted to pop in here and give you some support. Trust me, it's all WORTH it. I promise. After I had mine, I did feel alone a little bit because I'm always sitting there with Protein first, etc. But, now? I feel MUCH better and I look at other people around me eating and I still can eat at restaurants, etc. I just eat a smaller portion and am AMAZED at how much others eat and how much I USED to eat.

There will come a time when it will flip and you will be SO glad you did it. Especially when the pounds start melting off. :thumbup:

Hang in there! (((HUGS)))

It will get better! It's all part of the rollercoaster sadly, but after awhile things do change. I remember my parents going out to dinner and having the nerve to ask if I wanted to go with them, while I was on the liquid diet!!

But today it's definitely a lot better and hardly an issue. Keep chugging along, its all worth it in the end.

I think mourning the loss of your previous eating habits really helps. It means you are facing the fact that you are going to eat differently for the rest of your life. And since change is scary your not sure if you will be this unhappy the whole time. Don't worry, you wont.

I love my new eating habits. Before, when I went to a restaurant, I had to look at the menu and pick out the things that I thought had enough food to satisfy me. Now I can order anything on the menu. I have so many more choices now.

It will get better I promise!

I just wanted to pop in here and give you some support. Trust me, it's all WORTH it. I promise. After I had mine, I did feel alone a little bit because I'm always sitting there with Protein first, etc. But, now? I feel MUCH better and I look at other people around me eating and I still can eat at restaurants, etc. I just eat a smaller portion and am AMAZED at how much others eat and how much I USED to eat.

There will come a time when it will flip and you will be SO glad you did it. Especially when the pounds start melting off. :cursing:

Hang in there! (((HUGS)))

So true! The other day, my daughter ordered a piece of pie and I said, "OMG, that pie is HUGE!"

She said, "No, mom. That's a NORMAL piece of pie. Only you think it's huge."

LOL

If it makes you feel better I went to a 60th birthday party yesterday and am on full liquid diet (3rd week out from surgery). So I knew I would'nt be able to eat anything there so I brought my own Soup, Protein drink, and suger free pudding cup. It was a pot luck so I thought it would be easier to buy frozen chicken tenders and just heat them up. Well I burnt my self really badly using the church's pot holders; and spent the whole party with my figer in a glass of ice Water. And I was having bad PMS.

I had my post op check up today and asked the doctor if he had any food recommendations for me; since many on here mention being on mushies. He just repeted the list I already had cottage cheese, scrambled eggs (which I only do egg whites because of the Cholesterol), and Ricotta.

He did say however that I can have caffinated coffee which is great for me. I am on two medications which make me groggy.