Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lymphatic Massage Pre/Post Op?

I am scheduled for a lymphatic massage both before and after surgery. Has anyone else had this done? I hear it is great to aid in healing and getting the lymph moving before surgery. Just looking for any information.

I am scheduled for a lymphatic massage both before and after surgery. Has anyone else had this done? I hear it is great to aid in healing and getting the lymph moving before surgery. Just looking for any information.

I am a massage therapist and was trained in doing lymphatic... and I think it is great that your doing it! It will help clear the the toxins in your system before the massage which in return will help with swelling and healing after the surgery.

The only thing I would be careful about is after the surgery and your tummy. I know infections are not that common but if there is a chance that there is a infection/inflamed area you DO NOT want to drain that area. It could cause the infection to move to other areas of your body.

If you have never had a lymphatic massage you may be surprised on how different it is from what you think a massage should be. The movement is very light and "feather" like. Also the therapist will be "pushing" the Fluid towards the closest lymph node around... Your body has them all over but the main lymph nodes are in your neck/armpit, groin, and the back of the knee. By pushing this Fluid to those nodes your causing the fluid to "drain"

It is a great detox massage and helps your immune system stay healthy but if you have some major health issues I would make sure you talk to your doc before you get the massage.

Edited by Mandyrae

I think that's a great idea!

I'm a Lymphedema therapist and i do a lot of massages on people who are post op (for a variety of surgeries). very rare that I do it pre-op.

but like Mandyrae said, the movement/touch is phenomenal! It's light, airy and when doing the whole body pre-op, it can take at least an hour if not more! feels delightful and i generally have patients fall asleep :)

just beware that in some folks the massage can make people use the restroom a bit more after the massage because of the drainage, but it just lets you know it's working and your watersheds are opening up! good luck, and enjoy :thumbup::thumbup:

I'm 9 days Post-Op and I actually had some impromptu trigger point type massage today. I actually went in for some energy work(and she's also a Massage Therapist) and in the course she could see how uncomfortable I was lying on my back. I don't know about you all, but every muscle in my core pulls all the way up through my chest and down through my back!! I've been so uncomfortable trying to sleep at night as a result. Anyway, she did some extremely light feeling around and found some major trigger points that she was able to work with. It's now 10hrs later and I feel like I can sit easier and stand up easier too...even breathe a little deeper. She said the body's natural response is to contract in times of trauma(which surgery is) and that as a result she could feel all the tightness. All I know is I'm feeling and moving better than I have in 9 days!

I think it's definitely worth doing the Lymphatic Massage. I did that after another surgery I had on my knee and it was absolutely amazing for my recovery. I hadn't even considered it for this one...but now that you mention it I think I'm going to call tomorrow :~)