Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Approved, but no date???

My insurance has approved my surgery, but I hadn't heard from the surgeon's office. I called them on Friday and they told me that I will be called with a date once I complete all the tests required. When I went for my first consultation I was told I only needed the nutrition class, psych eval, and sleep study. I have only done the psych eval. If I already have the other two scheduled, why wouldn't they give me a date? Would there be any chance that once approved by the insurance the surgeon wouldn't go through with it? :lol:

Has this happened to anyone?

My insurance has approved my surgery, but I hadn't heard from the surgeon's office. I called them on Friday and they told me that I will be called with a date once I complete all the tests required. When I went for my first consultation I was told I only needed the nutrition class, psych eval, and sleep study. I have only done the psych eval. If I already have the other two scheduled, why wouldn't they give me a date? Would there be any chance that once approved by the insurance the surgeon wouldn't go through with it? :confused:

Has this happened to anyone?

I'm sure what they mean by tests is things like blood work, chest xray etc. I had to have a UA dip (urine test), blood work, chest xray and upper GI and all have to look good before surgery. My regular doc had asked me why the Upper GI, that she never heard of one done before the surgery but after talking to my surgeon it makes perfect sense. She wants to make sure my esophagus is working correctly and I do not have bad acid reflux. If I did have problems it would get worse after surgery.

I would trust your surgeon... they know what they are doing and they want to make sure your in perfect health before you make this big jump. Hopefully by doing all that it will avoid problems later on. =)

Yes. I was approved on August 2 and was told that day that I should be called with a surgery date by the end of the week. That week came and went with no call. The Tuesday of the following week I called. Got the same story, someone should be calling by the end of the week. That week came and went with no call. The Monday starting my third week, the doctors office called asking for a copy of my Barium Swallow. I had given them a copy of my Barium Swallow report, the doc had even signed off on it (and she said she saw that in my file) but somewhere in the last 5 months it was lost. Said they would look for it and get back with me. Around 4pm on that Monday I called left a message on everyone's recorder that I could get. I had it. I got my first call to schedule my appointment at shortly after 5pm which was set for 9/10/10 then a little later I got a call from a different person saying that she thought she might have an earlier appointment available and would confirm in the morning. Sure enough I got the call shortly after 8am that an appointment was available for 8/27/10 asking if I wanted it. Yep sure do.

So all in all. The first week I did not call or email them but starting the second week, I emailed everyday and called on some days. So keep in contact with them. Most of the time the Squeaky wheel will get the grease.

Good luck.

Cathy

Yes. I was approved on August 2 and was told that day that I should be called with a surgery date by the end of the week. That week came and went with no call. The Tuesday of the following week I called. Got the same story, someone should be calling by the end of the week. That week came and went with no call. The Monday starting my third week, the doctors office called asking for a copy of my Barium Swallow. I had given them a copy of my Barium Swallow report, the doc had even signed off on it (and she said she saw that in my file) but somewhere in the last 5 months it was lost. Said they would look for it and get back with me. Around 4pm on that Monday I called left a message on everyone's recorder that I could get. I had it. I got my first call to schedule my appointment at shortly after 5pm which was set for 9/10/10 then a little later I got a call from a different person saying that she thought she might have an earlier appointment available and would confirm in the morning. Sure enough I got the call shortly after 8am that an appointment was available for 8/27/10 asking if I wanted it. Yep sure do.

So all in all. The first week I did not call or email them but starting the second week, I emailed everyday and called on some days. So keep in contact with them. Most of the time the Squeaky wheel will get the grease.

Good luck.

Cathy

In a way, I would have rather gone thru what you did. Me, I had my first consultation 7/28/2010, and got my surgery date the same day - October 7 :confused:

I didnt want to have to wait nine weeks for the surgery, and I was going to keep calling in case of an earlier cancel, but didn't. The only good thing out of this, was that I started weaning off the 'good food' earlier - well for at least one meal a day.

Yeah I was approved and not given a date immediately and I couldn't understand. After calling a few times I got my date about a week after approval. There are some who get dates immediately at some like us who have to wait. Goodluck keep calling your doctors office.

all the surgeon's offices work so different. i got a call to schedule my appt. then they were going to send in the paperwork for my surgery. the next day i got a call that i was approved. i don't even have to do a pre-op diet. just watch what i eat. so just listen to whatever your surgeon's office tell you.

My doctor does not give a date until after your final consult with the surgeon. Also the doctor requires everyone lose a percentage of body weight. So even though I got insurance authorization in about 2 weeks; it was about 2.5 months before I got a surgery date. My doctor's program also included 3/4 group therapy sessions where they covered thoughtful eating and emotional stressors that lead to bing eating.

Thank you all for replying. I have been waiting patiently-as best as I could have, but I just figured I passed the hardest hurdle. I guess I got excited that this is more of a reality for me now.

I actually have my sleep study tonight. I am heading off. I just wanted to check the forums before I left. Thank you all again.