Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Annoyed with new P.A.

I had an appointment with a diabetic councilor/Physicians Assistant a couple days ago... and I mentioned I'm working on getting lapband surgery.. Well after I said she said "I worked with someone who was going to get gastric bypass, after working with her for a few months, she lost soooo much weight she canceled the surgery and didn't need it!".

GREAT, good for her... but you didn't have to repeat that story 4 times during my appointment? She seriously made it sound like diet and exercise would make me lose all my weight (been there done that, still fat)... My actual DOCTOR thinks it's a great idea and is very supportive... I mean I'm used to hearing people say things like that... but someone who WORKS in the medical field...who also works with many overweight people everyday?

Anyways, I told her, its not the fact of losing weight, it's keeping the weight off for GOOD after I lose it.

I know I shouldn't let this irritate me the way it does. Why can't some people just keep their mouths shut? Either be supportive or just shut it. >=

I had an appointment with a diabetic councilor/Physicians Assistant a couple days ago... and I mentioned I'm working on getting LAP-BAND®®® surgery.. Well after I said she said "I worked with someone who was going to get gastric bypass, after working with her for a few months, she lost soooo much weight she canceled the surgery and didn't need it!".

GREAT, good for her... but you didn't have to repeat that story 4 times during my appointment? She seriously made it sound like diet and exercise would make me lose all my weight (been there done that, still fat)... My actual DOCTOR thinks it's a great idea and is very supportive... I mean I'm used to hearing people say things like that... but someone who WORKS in the medical field...who also works with many overweight people everyday?

Anyways, I told her, its not the fact of losing weight, it's keeping the weight off for GOOD after I lose it.

I know I shouldn't let this irritate me the way it does. Why can't some people just keep their mouths shut? Either be supportive or just shut it. >=

This sounds like my PCP. I went in for a physical right when I was starting the process to get LAP-BAND®®. I told her what I wanted to do and she proceeded to tell me she didn't think it was a good idea :sad:.

Uh Hello!!....can't you look at my chart and see I have been fat for all of the years I've been coming to you?!? And that's after I've spent thousands of dollars on Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers!

Then she started to tell me about two other patients who had the LAP-BAND®® and both have lost about 10 lbs in a year. Then she gave me some brochures for a Medifast clinic right across the street from her office.....and surprise! surprise! she works with them alot. Of course! :o She told me to check out that clinic and think about it before she would give me my letter of medical clearance/neccessity. I think she thought she could talk me out of it, but my mind was already made up before I went to see her. I waited about a month and then called her office to tell them I still wanted a letter. She made me jump through more hoops by making me write up all of my weight loss attempts including the dates, method tried, number of lbs lost and how long I kept it off. I guess she thought THAT would make me stop, but WHATEVER! :P I got all of that info and got my husband to take it to her office the next day since I wouldn't get there in time after work. Needless to say, I got my letter (actually a really good one by the way) and I'm just waiting on my insurance at this point. I can't wait to get banded and then see her at my annual physical. That just motivates me to use the band properly so I can tell her "nanny nanny boo boo!" :tt2: when I see her.

Maybe a few years down the road, she'll be talking about your huge success to other patients.

People repeat what they "know" (or, rather, what they think they know). Often, they are wrong.

With your banding success, you will teach her the error of her ways :thumbup:

My PCP had no role in my banding--I didn't need his approval, and he wasn't part of the process. But he was mildly....not disapproving, but not particularly supportive. But when I saw him next 40 pounds down, he really was impressed. Turns out he has another banded patient who gained weight. After talking with me about what I eat, he talked with the other guy, and learned that, because he had difficulty with dense Proteins, he was taking in about 3000 calories of Ensure each day.

We talked a lot about my doctor's aftercare, and diet recommendations, and I learned that the PCP's initial lack of enthusiasm was based on this other patient's experience.

He now not only views it very differently, but is able to guide the other patient more effectively (including, if he wants, to MY surgeon's postop support group).

So, people can and do sometimes change their opinions--after all, there are many paths to the same destination.