Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

They want to remove my band

Hi friends, I've come back to LAP-BAND® chat to check something out, after an absence of a couple of years.

I had my LAP-BAND® inserted in 2007 when I weighed 20 stone. In the next 36 months I was really happy as I steadily lost weight, having the band tightened twice, and eventually got down to my ideal weight of 10 1/2 stone.

There are two problems. One is that my band has slipped twice so that part of the stomach bulges over the band. The hospital has Adjusted it once. But now it has slipped again.

The other problem is that, right from the start, and continuing to the present day, I have been regurgitating back part of whatever I consume. This doesn't depend on what I eat or drink, its just continual. I've got used to it, and even if it's inconvenient and embarrassing, it's OK, I can live with the problem. Actually I think the vomiting is what helps me to maintain my weight.

BUT...it seems that, medically, my condition isn't viable in the long run. The medics are afraid the stomach may rupture or something. And they're also afraid that the acid of the continual reflux (which certainly corrodes your teeth) may be damaging my internal organs.

So the surgeon is urging me to have the band removed, now, entirely, once and for all. End of story.

I might agree to this, if I could immediately have my stomach reduced in size surgically. But the National Health Service here will not pay for this operation, due to their rules on body-mass index. My weight now is way below the weight that would make me eligible for the surgery. However they have suggested I could have the band removed, gain weight so my body-mass index increases enough and then - if I'm really lucky - I might get the operation approved! But with the expenditure cuts in the NHS I doubt even that.

I simply am not prepared to have the band removed, without the permanent surgery that would compensate for its loss. My psychological relationship to food has not changed in all over the time I have had the band. It never will change. I shall surely climb back to 20 stone and more. The life I am living now is so much better, it's like a new life, my work and everything else is going well. I'm just not willing to go into reverse.

So I am saying "no thanks" to the removal of the band. I will take my chance.

It would be great to hear from anyone who has similar experiences or advice to offer.

Cedar Brett.

Hi Cedar,

I guess no one has replied as yours is a fairly unique situation that perhaps no one has any experience of. I can only think about your dilema and say what would I do? I would go kicking and screeming to have the band remove completely. I would have it completely unfilled give it 2 to 3 month see if there is any improvement and then try again to slowly have the band tightened. You may find that after eating such small amounts your stomach has shrunk and your eating habits are now much more sensible. See if you put on wieght during this time if not leave tha band unfilled if you do its worth another try.

Best of luck what every you choose.

Katieph

Hi there- I went through 18 months in your situation until I stopped eating altogether when my stomach herniated through the band. I didn't want to lose my band- but at 9st7 and 172cm I couldn't bath without my bones painfully poking into the porcelain- I spent 2 weeks in hospital and had to have my band removed. Afterwards I was told that in two occasions they were concerned I might die. However- I regained all my weight and am having it refitted in the next few weeks. It didn't put me off. Ask if they can unbuckle it to be rebuckled once your stomach has healed (cheaper). Hope this helps