Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My band and the first date

Okay...so this evening I had a sorta kinda date......

Quick background...I was with the same guy for seven years and we parted ways two years ago. So it's been ~9 years since I had to "think" about dating. I'm a little...shall we say....rusty.

Needless to say, I was INCREDIBLY nervous. I also had a sh*tty day at work...I mean a REALLY stressed out sh*tty day. So I was a bit spun up by the time the evening rolled around.

So......since we were meeting for drinks, I wanted to be sure I ate something because since being banded, it takes only a little drink to make me VERY drunk. But having food in the belly helps. I had a Protein bar around 4 but we met at 6. So I was hungry again.

So we got some chicken wings. I have had good luck with the wings at this very place. I mean, fine in the past. Perfect bandster food.< /p>

Not tonight. Yes, you guessed it. Katrinka (my band) began to act up. I got STUCK. : cry :

So I was able to nonchalantly go to the restroom and had a quick PB. So I went back to the table. I thought I was "all clear" so I tried a bit more chicken. By this time he's noticing that I wanted food but am not eating...or drinking.

I eat a bit more chicken. And I get STUCK. Big stuck. Not sorta. Not a little. Big stuck. Katy bar the door stuck. STUUUUUCK.

So I'm sitting there in SO much pain...trying to just get through but it's getting worse and worse.....I'm trying to listen to what he's saying while NOT barfing at the table.

I'm fidgeting. There is no comfortable way to sit. I am in AGONY. That little bit o' chicken is now a GOLF BALL. Ow.

He finally asks "are you okay?" I had to admit I wasn't. I said "I'm having terrible reflux" and he said he understood.

I got up and ran to the bathroom again. PB'd BAAAAAAD. Oy. Eyes watering, the whole nine yards.

So I get back to the table, sheepish and just said something like "oh I had to go burp" or something like that. He laughed and I felt MUCH better at least about the stuck but felt like SUCH an idiot about the whole sequence of events.

I seemed to do okay recovering from that. But ay god!! I have these big plans in my head for being *cool* and all cavalier. Uh..no. First date out of the chute and I'm in the bathroom barfing up chicken wings.

:sob:

And of course I like the guy....so OF COURSE Katrinka gets wacky. First impressions are everything right? His first impression is me doing a five yard dash to the bathroom.......why me god? WHY?

: cry :

Anyhow, at the end of the night he did suggest we "do this again" so maybe that is a good sign. Maybe I'm not out of the running. Or maybe he was just being nice.

If we do go out again I'm TOTALLY eating before hand.....I just can't do that again.

Great. Just great. I want to be pretty, alluring, mysterious, desirable. What I am is pukey.....eye watery.....chicken in the esophagus.

Great. Just dandy.

Ya'll say something nice to help me feel better. I'm beating myself up pretty good.......

Could the fact that you were a little nervous influenced your tummy? Relax, I think that if he doesnt stay interested then he was the one who losses out, Right? You sound sweet, and maybe your next date can be a do something date not a sit at a table date. Who wouldnt want to date a woman who is taking very good care of herself! Your belief in yourself makes you the good catch!

Think of it this way, youve broken the ice! Next date you can relax its no longer the FIRST date!

Hugs*

Nana~

Nana! Thanks for the hugs, I need 'em. And yeah, you make a good point....it's no longer the first date. Here's hoping I get a second chance to make a good impression!!

You sound sweet, and maybe your next date can be a do something date not a sit at a table date. Who wouldnt want to date a woman who is taking very good care of herself! Your belief in yourself makes you the good catch!

Okay, I like that idea. Next date isn't an "eating" date. Yeah, I like that idea a lot!! I also think I need a little fill taken out. I've been struggling with it anyway...hmmm. Thank you as well Victoriana!! Your words are so kind. Like salve on an open wound!!!

So now "the next day" I still feel really goofy about the whole thing. I guess the whole "will he or won't he call me" thing is on. I told the whole story to the person who set us up and she said in her opinion, he's so easy going that it probably wasn't a big deal. Here's hoping.

Thanks to my LBT family for giving me support!!!

Well Karen I would like to know what are safe/date foods. I always think about that. I may want Soup because I know it won't get stuck but it can drip on me. I try to stay away from meat ie chicken, pork, beef. I have been getting seafood but it is not always great because it is not a seafood place. I want to drink but you can't drink and eat. What are we suppose to do.

Don't wait for him to call. You plan something that you are comfortable with and invite him. No chicken in the picture please. Ice cream always go down so invite him out for dessert. I know I would. Me personally I would tell him about the band. I find it hard to not tell.

Oh Karen! you poor thing!

Man, I hate first dates! Good thing I've got a steady beau now (sure, I married him, makes him all the more steady!)

And yeah, the next time won't be a first date, so you can relax. Just make sure the next one is something like bowling or other activity. At least you didn't barf on yourself or at the table!

At least you didn't barf on yourself or at the table!

LMAO...Oh Karen, you are comic relief to me this afternoon! I'm sure you didn't botch it for good with this guy. I agree, call him first and meet for ice cream. AND tell him about the band. Admit your embarassment. If he's worth his salt, he'll be interested in your band, supportive, will laugh with you, and know it wasn't HE that made you so miserable! Guys can be just as sensitive. The good ones anyway. Well, except my hubby, who often doesn't "get it" but makes up for it in other areas :(

At least you didn't barf on yourself or at the table!

You know Vines, this is what my friend said too. I said "God hates me..." (joking!) and she said "No, if Got hated you, you wouldn't have made it to the bathroom on time!"

So...that's a VERY good point! But still.....I'm just *horrified* how it all went down. Yes, no eating next time!!!!

I try to stay away from meat ie chicken, pork, beef. I have been getting seafood but it is not always great because it is not a seafood place.

Yeah, for some reason, shrimp works for me. Note to self: order the shrimp next time......

LOL....Karen, too funny!! Now mind you I am laughing with you not at you. Man first date blues, whewww...scary, I used to go on blind dates off my personal ads on the net...sheesh...the date (horror)stories I could tell you. I do feel for you and agreeing with the other posters about the ice cream date or bowling. Best of luck, Karen. *huggs*

Thanks banded_for_life. Believe me, laughing at, with, near, around me is ALWAYS appropriate!!!! If I can't laugh at myself I'd be DOOMED.

Good news: He's contacted me today via iChat. I guess I didn't TOTALLY scare him off!!!

Yay me! Barfing on the first date! Wheee!