Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Att. Sanchez patients

With all the erosion going on with MX banded patients I did some inquiring about Sanchez's statistics. Dr. Sanchez has not had a single erosion case since Fall 2003 aproximently 2 years now and the ones that were reported before that were due to the Swedish band that he used to place that had a higher erosion rate to begin with.

Directly from Dr. Sanchez's person - through all of their research US erosions vs. MX erosions are not signifcantly higher than the other. The majority of erosions are diagnosed from 18 months - 30 months out. Erosions after 30 months are significantly decreased. Many of the erosions had port infections prior to eroding and 70% of all eroded who had their bands removed, healed and re-banded eroded again within the first year. There is a current study going on for those eroded & re-banded with a Vanguard band who are having more success, but the study takes time so it isn't a for sure thing yet.

That makes me lean towards more towards everyones bodies reacting differently to foreign objects in our bodies.

The general consesus is no one knows for sure and there doesn't always seem to be a common denominater - who knows?

I at least feel a little more peace of mind with all the MX erosions going on that Dr. Sanchez has yet to have any reported since switching to INAMED exclusively 2 years ago. This could all change in the future, but right now I'm moving on and letting me and my band bond for as long as God sees fit. I could die tomorrow so I'm not going to sit around like I have been thinking I have a ticking time bomb inside of me. I just wanted to share the information for any other Sanchez patients who might have been curious with all the erosions going on - I kept wondering if I was next.

Thanks dear!!!!! I am also a Dr. Sanchez patient and have not heard of any problems related to his surgical method or in relation to his patients. I dont know if the erosion issues with some bandsisters are do to placement, personal physical tolerance, where surgery was performed, etc.... I do know that it is a gamble. Who can say if the doctor, surgical method, fills etc, that are to blame. Inamed has statistics stating that 25% of all bandsters will be unbanded at some point. I know that I am very new and with the statistics here lately I want to take care of myself and do the most justice I can in the next year. If I ever lose my band I will live on Weight Watchers Smart Ones and Lean Cuisine, LMOA!!!

I love Dr. Sanchez!

Glad to hear this report. I had one of those sweedish bands, it didn't erode just a tubing leak that couldn't be fixed so he re-banded me with an 9.75 Inamed band.

Dr. Sanchez fan club!

OMG!!!!! Just had such fabulous experience, gush gush!! He rocks and the whole staff is way too cool, I still e-mail Alma!!!

oops, edited to add.......yes, he also has done many medical conferences where they train U.S. doctors. he is the best imho

I think with anything, we have to consider the amount of time the lapband has been in use in Mexico. Because they have done it longer they are going to more accounts of these problems, it doesn't mean they are still having these problems. I find it funny how those with American doctors are so quick to point the finger, they have to remember lapband was just approved in the US I think a year or two ago? It will take time before those in the US start showing these types of signs (hopefully not) it's like when the RNY came out...how wonderful it was, no problems yadda yadda yadda but now, we see there are some complications with SOME people.

I am glad you posted this showing some of the statistics and showing that with time all surgeries are perfected. Mexico just has a baseline to which others can compare what the possible outcomes could indicate. There are plenty of people who have gone to Mexico and are 2 or 3yrs out and they are still doing okay.

I am going to Mexico Jan 27th to Dr. Aceves, and i believe everything is going to go okay. I'd rather have the lapband in for 18 to 30mths with hopefully a loss of 100lbs by then than to never have it at all. Yes, 8k is alot of money but it's worth it for me to hopefully lose over 100lbs, if by chance it does erode then I'll get it replaced but if it does..I hope by that time I've learned a new lifestyle of eating and exercise that it won't be a big problem.

Thanks for the post...cause I know lately I've been a bit stressed hearing all the horrors of erosion and so forth, this alleviates it :)

Directly from Dr. Sanchez's person - through all of their research US erosions vs. MX erosions are not signifcantly higher than the other.

I at least feel a little more peace of mind with all the MX erosions going on that Dr. Sanchez has yet to have any reported since switching to INAMED exclusively 2 years ago.

Just an FYI... It is not mandatory for anyone Doctor out of the USA to report any statistics on erosion nor any other complications. There are no standards/ no regulations outside the USA in place for them to report except(if they wanted too) to Inamed. Even then they DO NOT have to report anything. So its strickly their word & honestly.

I know of one MX Doctor who is friends of my own Doctor(USA) that he told him he had only had 1 erosion in the past 5 years. Well that isn't true at all b/c I know of two gals that had their bands removed & eroded & went to this Doctor.

So its only what they CHOOSE to report. We should all just keep that in mind, so everyone can make healthy & happy informative decisions.

Good Luck to all for are banded & who wish to be banded!