Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

End of the rope

I hesitate to share because I don't want to be a bummer. I went to Mexico 5 years ago, got my surgery, not too bad. I weighed 240. By the end of 12 months I was down to 175 and felt fabulous about my weight loss. I had so many problems though. My band didn't seem to have a happy spot. If I had enough of a fill to have any restriction, I couldn't even swallow a thyroid pill, if I had a headache I was out of luck. It got to the point that I threw up every day. Anything I tried to get down in the morning just sat in my throat and started aching until I would finally go into the bathroom and bend over and let it out. I'm talking Water. By the time noon came around it was a little better, hot liquids in small quantities could be sipped. Between 6 and eight in the evening, it was almost like I didn't have a band. I still had to avoid rice, bread, stringy foods etc... I could eat Pasta, meat nearly everything else. Then I would need to stay up until at least midnight or everything would come up in the middle of the night. I could never count how many times I woke up having a dream I was drowning or choking and rush to the bathroom before throwing up. It became routine for me to sleep in my recliner because i was afraid to lie down. It didn't matter if I had broth for dinner, it was going to happen. If I had Fluid taken out, even a .5 CC, I would start gaining.

A couple years ago, after a bad bout of the flu, I was extremely dehydrated, anemic and felt like I was dying. I drove out to Eugene and had all the liquid taken out. I live in Portland. The fill doc said to me "oh, you'll be back". I cried the entire 3 hour drive home. I really hoped beyond hope I could keep the weight off. I started drinking lots of water, gym every day. Here it is 2 years later and not only have I gained the entire 65 lbs. I lost but I've added an extra 40. I even ran a marathon this last summer.

I'm basically suicidal at the thought of my weight. I feel extremely defeated. I'm terrified to endure this again but I don't know if I can go on if I don't. Any advice?

Wow! I really feel for you.

My first thought is that you may want to spend some time with a Phyc. Most of us eat for emotional reasons, perhaps some time with a professional would help you find your triggers.

I would then suggest you try to find a Dr. who would do all the tests to see if the band has been placed correctly, hasn't slipped (you said you spent a lot of time throwing up) that there is no errosion ect.

Then you could make a plan from there. Please know that as frustrating and miserable as you may feel now, it can and will get better for you. Hang in there and take it one step at a time. You may be a better candidate for a different WLS, finding a local bariatric Dr. would help you SO much.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on..pleaes let us know your progress.

I hesitate to share because I don't want to be a bummer. I went to Mexico 5 years ago, got my surgery, not too bad. I weighed 240. By the end of 12 months I was down to 175 and felt fabulous about my weight loss. I had so many problems though. My band didn't seem to have a happy spot. If I had enough of a fill to have any restriction, I couldn't even swallow a thyroid pill, if I had a headache I was out of luck. It got to the point that I threw up every day. Anything I tried to get down in the morning just sat in my throat and started aching until I would finally go into the bathroom and bend over and let it out. I'm talking Water. By the time noon came around it was a little better, hot liquids in small quantities could be sipped. Between 6 and eight in the evening, it was almost like I didn't have a band. I still had to avoid rice, bread, stringy foods etc... I could eat Pasta, meat nearly everything else. Then I would need to stay up until at least midnight or everything would come up in the middle of the night. I could never count how many times I woke up having a dream I was drowning or choking and rush to the bathroom before throwing up. It became routine for me to sleep in my recliner because i was afraid to lie down. It didn't matter if I had broth for dinner, it was going to happen. If I had Fluid taken out, even a .5 CC, I would start gaining.

A couple years ago, after a bad bout of the flu, I was extremely dehydrated, anemic and felt like I was dying. I drove out to Eugene and had all the liquid taken out. I live in Portland. The fill doc said to me "oh, you'll be back". I cried the entire 3 hour drive home. I really hoped beyond hope I could keep the weight off. I started drinking lots of Water, gym every day. Here it is 2 years later and not only have I gained the entire 65 lbs. I lost but I've added an extra 40. I even ran a marathon this last summer.

I'm basically suicidal at the thought of my weight. I feel extremely defeated. I'm terrified to endure this again but I don't know if I can go on if I don't. Any advice?

It sounds like this was not the weight loss surgery for you. Have you considered RNY or the sleeve? Something tells me you'd have more success with either of those.

That said, it sounds like the band failed you. No one should be so tight that they can't eat in the morning. If that's the only way to lose weight then something is wrong. Would you have gotten the band if they had told you at the seminar that you couldn't eat solid foods until evening? Of course not.

The band is promoted as a tool that will create a small pouch. This pouch will create a sense of satiety with small quantities of healthy food. solid food. This will happen when you get to your "sweet spot". But not everyone is able to get to the sweet spot. Some endure daily vomiting, etc..because they are too tight but are losing weight. They do this to their own detriment, in my opinion.

I have a 4cc band and have had anywhere from 1cc to 3cc in it. With 3cc I was too tight. I had pain, reflux and heartburn. But I was still hungry. I never felt satiety. I just couldn't physically eat much due to the pain. And I followed all the band rules. I also exercise every day, including weight lifting, treadmill and aerobic dancing.

I now have all the fill taken out after a horrible stuck episode landing me in the ER and an overnight stay. The band never worked for me like it was promoted. It did not create a sense of satiety. It never caused me to be less hungry. And that was why I got it. I always had a big appetite and was always hungry.

I have lost 75 pounds but only 15 from the band. The rest was all the dieting including the liquid pre and post surgery diets. I am basically doing this with willpower. However, I do not plan on getting any fill. What for? They never worked to get me to my sweet spot and the last stuck episode felt like I was shot in the stomach. No weight loss is worth risking that again.

So, you did not fail the band. The band failed you. Consider another type of WLS and good luck.

Thank you both. I just got new insurance, I'll see what's covered :-)

Oh, I feel for you. I hated myself too because I wasn't losing weight. I would hide when the surgeon would have to come to my unit to see a patient. It wasn't until I had to have the band removed that I realized that there was almost no difference. I decided to embrace who I was and got rid of my too small clothes, found fat-friendly activities and friends, did things I would have never done (put on a bathing suit and swim, rode horses with my son) and I got to the point where I decided to diet for my health. I also worked on emotional eating. I have lost 46 lbs from diet and exercise and $8,000 in band placement, removal and various other band related tests. Boo. This was a huge lesson for me. Fat people are expected to fail and when the band fails we are the first to blame ourselves. If it doesn't work for you, it doesn't. Don't waste your time hating yourself. Beth

Wow! I just posted an almost identical post as yours!!!! (See band complications-- "given up")

I am self pay and sick about having "invested" $25,000 in my "healthy future" and having had the same results as you! Can't eat all day. 6-8 pm smorgasboard, constant vomiting, feeling sad/desperate/ and SOOOOO embarrased when people ask about my surgery.