Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi all I am to be banded on the 26th of this month so forgive me if my question seems stupid to some:

I read that you are only supposed to eat 3 meals a day. what do you do if you get hungry in between meals? are you allowed to eat a snack? I know that my questions will be answered prior to surgery but was wondering what others do if this happens to them.

Thanks Zen :lol:

My doctor and Nut suggested that I eat several small meals through out the day staying with low carbs high Protein and under 1500 calories. each persons calorie count is different though.

Its kind of a slow, steady process. I was eating solids a week after I had surgery, in very small amounts. I was full all day long and didn't snack. Like my doctor said, if you start feeling hungry before meal time, it might be time for a fill. I had 2 fills so far and think I might have hit the sweet spot. You will go through a period where, you might be able to eat whatever you want. Try not to feel guilty about that, just remember its a work in progress and it takes time to get to that level where you are not snacking and small meals will keep you fuller longer.

Even though I have restriction I only stay full for 2-3 hours generally. I eat 2 Snacks a day and have been loosing steadily. I eat low fat cheesesticks, cottage cheese, berries, almonds for snacks. I know many people have been told no snacking, and I am really not sure why. Good luck! You are taking a huge step towards a healthier you.

I was told the eventual goal is 3 meals per day with no Snacks. But also that everyone is a little different and if you feel you need a snack it should be healthy, choose fruits and veggies, or a yogurt or ounce of cheese.

Although I'm still on post-op full liquids so I can't say what I'm doing yet!

Hi Zen!

It depends on the surgeon and his or her food plan.

Mine says no snacking.....when I asked the question about hunger between meals, he said I can eat, but planned healthful foods, not brainlessly putting crummy stuff down my throat.

His definition of snacking is mindless eating of junk. Mine was anything eaten between meals.

Once we clarified that he is OK with me eating when I am hungry, all was right with the world. :lol:

I can not go all day on 3 meals, so when I was trying to lose I had 3 meals of up to 250 calories each and 2-150 calorie (or less) planned Snacks. The Snacks had to have 1g of Protein for every 10 calories.

(I am assuming that you are seeking info for the time after you are off of liquids and mushies.)

Well, I am kinda a grazer. But I obsess on counting calories. Don't you think it shouldn't matter how you do it as long as you stay around your 1200 calories per day, or however many calories per day you allow yourself? Just like they tell us about exercising, you can break it up into two 10 minute bouts, or do one 20 minute bout. It seems same, same to me!

Well All for now

Kelly:wink:

My doc says once you reach the right level of restriction you will actually be full with just 3 meals a day. Right now though I'm eating 3 small meals and 2 Snacks.< /p>

I was surprised by this too, however, once you start getting fills it gets a lot easier and you learn head vs. real hunger. I have had 5 fills and really have not had much hunger since my 4th fill in May. Do I still pick and graze sometimes? yeah....not good, but I have lost the last 15 since May, so the loss has picked up since I really cut down on stupid snacking.

I was like 3 1/2 cup meals a day? are they nuts, but the food plan does work.....

i was surprised by this too, however, once you start getting fills it gets a lot easier and you learn head vs. Real hunger. I have had 5 fills and really have not had much hunger since my 4th fill in may. Do i still pick and graze sometimes? Yeah....not good, but i have lost the last 15 since may, so the loss has picked up since i really cut down on stupid snacking.

I was like 3 1/2 cup meals a day? Are they nuts, but the food plan does work.....

wow cool!

eventually I was told to eat 4 oz. per meal 3x a day. With 3 oz. being Protein and 1 oz. being vegetable or fruit or occasional carb. I am also supposed to have two Protein Drinks per day as well. I am supposed to have high levels of protein --70-90gms/day which should help. I was told to drink 64 oz . of liquid (low cal.) and stop drinking 5 minutes before eating and WAIT one hour after eating to drink more fluids. :confused:

wow... I'm 5 weeks out and still no hunger at all... I find 3 meals a day more than enough (keeps me full4-5 hours) but I had head hunger around 5pm so now I have high Protein Cereal at 5... that makes 4 meals a day but the doc would rather that, than me snacking while cooking dinner for my dad !!

My doctor's a three-meals-a-day guy. And he has pretty stringent recommendations for those meals.

I supplement those meals with snacks---ones I carefully choose for their benefit to my body. I'm losing at a rate faster than most of his patients, and he is fine with it.

I used to eat just 3 meals a day until I upped my exercise. Now I eat a very light snack when I wake up (4AM) and then that's it for the day with Snacks.

Snacks aren't a bad thing, it really depends on what you choose to eat. I usually have 1/2 cup of fruit or half of a Protein Bar. But like others said once you get to the restriction you want to be at, they may not be necessary.

Edited by reverie