Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When are you due????

So, I got this dreaded question today while standing in line minding my own business. I was looking over at a little girl in a stroller and smiling (she was cute and I have a 4 year old, so you know - I appreciate kids) and this woman goes "That will be you soon. When are you due?"

Uh...excuse me?

I sort of looked at her funny and said "Oh - I'm not pregnant. Just fat" and turned around. I still cannot believe in this day and time that people DO that.

I've lost 47 lbs with my lap band. 47 lbs that I am VERY proud of, and I've dropped from a size 22/24 to a size 16/18 and I STILL get that question? The sad part - I was wearing this cute black top and pants that I thought made me look even slimmer. That went all to hell and back. I'm also 5' 8" and a very large frame and my weight is evenly distributed - I'm just a big girl.

My co-worker (and dear friend) that was with me - I think I had to pick her jaw up off of the floor. She was like "Do NOT listen to this cracked out woman!"

So - has anyone had something like this happen where you're having a day where you feel good about yourself and then BOOM - someone comes along and craps the proverbial turn in your Wheaties.

Had to vent. Sorry...:biggrin:

lol funny, but im sorry that happend to you :biggrin:

no no one ever asked me that, course I was an all round fattie (ie: portioned top to bottom) so I dont think anyone ever questioned. I did however have a nice relative of mine (sweetest 80 yr old woman) ask a women when she was due and she was just fat XD ah.. felt so bad for her :P People honestly just make mistakes.

I actually run a care home for developmentally disabled adults, i have one girl who lives with me but she has that odd shaped body and darned if she gets asked 2-3 times a week when she is out with me how many weeks preggo she is. :)Most the time its another parent or a sweet old lady. you gotta love it sometimes :smile2:

Funny enough when I was pregnant with my 41 week lil one I was never asked once if I was preggos, Ive been 170-180 for about 9 yrs now. She was hiding in my bum I think :smile:

You poor thing! I remember vividly each time I've been asked that and it really hurts. Rest easy now that you have the tool to change your body and get the look you've always wanted. I know 'cause I'm sitting here in size 6 shorts and no one would dare to ask me when I'm due!

WOW! Annie - thank you for your post. Gives me hope! :)

ugh....isn't that the worst? I have had people ask or insinuate that I was pregnant....I replied like you..."not preggers....just fat." I work in a preschool and I have had KIDS ask me "when is your baby coming out". Ahhh, isn't that lovely....out of the mouthes of babes.

I had the wind sucked out of mys sails this morning as well....so bummed....had one of those feeling "thinner" moments and thought all of my working out must be doing some good...stepped on the scale only to see that I gained 2 pounds....really????? That's just grand....blah

I have been asked that before, even from my 4th graders!

Hey Bostonmama - I'd say that the work outs are helping. Muscle burns more calories than fat, too, so I would keep it up. It will start dropping off. Get one of those scales that tells you your body fat percentage because that's how you can tell what the shift is doing. :o

And yea - I had one of my daughter's pre-school classmates ask me last year if I had a baby in my belly. That's when I realized that yep - I need to do something.

And remember muscle weighs more than fat so working out and building muscle will add a few good pounds don't get discouraged