Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

San Fransico or Bust.....

Hubby is taking me on his next business trip. I'm pretty excited. One I've never flown and two I've never been anywhere near the west coast. We are going to be in San Fransico and I'll pretty much have all day to myself as he will be in meetings and confrences. Whats the must see things? What should I not miss. I'll be going jan 9th. I'm most nervous about leaving the kids for that long....pathetic I know.

Also wondering about band tightening when flying...seems I've read some folks have trouble with this. I'm planning to ask for a fill at my next nutritional appointment in a couple weeks, wondering if I should get it done before or after the trip. (I have 0 fill right now and am pretty much wide freaking open, except in the mornings early.)

Melissa

Congrats on your upcoming trip. I flew for the first time when I was 23 and I absolutely love to fly now. I was never scared but rather very curious. Below is a link for things to do in San Francisco. I've never been but I typically google for information and go from there.

http://www.thingstodo-sanfrancisco.com/

As far as having restriction after flying, I flew in October and didn't feel any different. This was before I had my first fill. I'm not sure how it would have felt if I had a fill prior to flying. Just remember, everyone is different.

I live an hour from the "city" we have a lot to look forward too...just kidding, I'll met up with you only if you want to.

Fisherman Warf/square!! look for SCOMAS for seafood, the beach at crissie fields looking over the golden gate (or walk it to Marin) Palace of fine arts!!

Take a bay cruise...

Hi Melissa!!

Welcome to my hometown. There is so much to do in the city I don't even know where to start!

It really depends what you are looking for. If you are into shopping I recommend Union Square. Every high end shop that you could possible imagine is in the square.

If you are into interesting cultures I highy recommend going to Chinatown (GREAT food there as well). Or the Mission (little Mexico)- where there are lots of great clothing stores and touristy knicknack shops where you can buy things at a discount. They have great street vendors there as well.

Fisherman's Wharf is very touristy and cool- you can see hundreds of sea lions lounging at the pier, have crab legs (Scoma's ROCKS), and see Alcatraz and both bridges. At Fisherman's Wharf you can also catch a cable car for a ride which is really fun. I would really recommend taking a ferry from Fisherman's Wharf to Saulsalito and back- it's a fun ride and Saulsalito is a beautiful little seaside town with great shopping.

If you are into decadent craziness, the Castro is a lot of fun. There are funky shops where you can buy some really "interesting" :-) things, and where else can you see burly male couples walking hand in hand down the street in buttless chaps in broad daylight ;-). There is also a fabulous restaurant in the Castro called Cafe Nirvana. They have wonderful exotic martinis and I highly recommend the chicken Kama Curry. If you go there for dinner ask for a table in the back garden.

In between the Castro and Noe Valley there is an area called Twin Peaks. It is simply a very high point in the city with amazing views. Most people go at sunset to watch the sun fall into the sea. If you have never been to the west coast it is really a sight to see.

The Haight is historic, and still very much a hippie neighborhood. There are "smoke" shops, record stores, funky boutiques that are actually pretty cheap, a few drag queen clothing stores in case you need some size 13 stripper heels or feather boas. There is a wonderful carribean-latin restaurant called Cha Cha Cha's that has plantains to die for.

I have covered just a little bit of what is available in the city!! I haven't even gotten to the nightlife :-) Feel free to PM me if you have questions or need more info.

And I fly a lot for business (I am in Vegas now). I tighten up A LOT when I fly.

I fly fairly regularly, and I don't notice any difference with restriction.

When my DH comes to visit me, he drives but the altitude (4500 feet) affects his band.

I second everything Bensmum said. She hit on ALL the things I would have said.

For a first timer, I really do suggest Sausalito. Either by ferry or drive over the Golden Gate. So incredibly beautiful!!!

Have fun in SF. It's such an amazing place to be!! I wish you had more time to be there, there is TOO much to do!!

I love San Fran! So many things to see and do. How long will you be there?

I've flown alot recently and haven't noticed any restriction changes or tightening, but they've all been shorter flights (3 hrs and under). That might change on my flight to the states...

Thanks guys...being a virgo i'll be researching and planning out things like mad the next couple of weeks. My dad is actually coming to stay with our kids for our christmas present, how cool is that.

It's funny I have a gay friend who when I told him I was going to SF with hubby all he talked about was the castro. LOL I think he wants to move there! I'm only going to be there a few days...probally sunday to Wed. We are taking a early flight Sunday so that we can possibly do something fun together since I will be doing the solo thing during the day. We are staying near mescony(sp) between 2nd and 3rd street while there. And have already planned to get a citi pass that lets us ride the trolly and gets us some free admission places apparently for the week. And Vera, it would be cool to get to meet some fellow bandsters while I'm there, we will have to talk and see if that will be possible. I defiently want to get to china town, I love the one in New York when I went. Unfortuantly the people I was with then were scared of their own shadow, so we didn't get to stay very long.

Parvathi, we are all looking foward to meeting you in a couple of weeks when you are here. And you can let me know how different the band feels after a longer flight.

I think if I can get a fill before I go, I will probally go ahead and do it. I mean though I'm sure there is lots to eat there, there is tons to do without tons of food. :( Though I really want some "good" sushi....I've been told that what we eat here is crap compared to there.

Well guess back to the "now" reality right now and getting the kids up and ready for school :(.

Melissa

Personally for me....flying REALLY makes me tight and I feel it for a day or two afterward. It's either the altitude or my anxiety over flying or both.......

go see "Beach Blanket Babylon". It is a funky show that is a SF tradition. Their holiday show is fantastic. Check it out on the web.

I just did most of my X-Mas shopping in the Castro district. I love all the fun, funky stores and we have such a great time there.

Have fun and enjoy!

Carol (if Vera and you meet, let me know and I'll try to go too! I live in San Jose).

I wish I could stay even longer now listening to all the suggestions. If anyone would be intrested in meeting up while there, we are staying at the hotel palmino on 4th street. We are going to be there from the 8th-11th...well hubby is going to be there longer, but I'm taking a redeye back home to the kids. lunch is going to work best for me, since I will be on my own during the day, but with hubby's group at night.

Melissa

I just realized you'll be out here this Sunday. Wish it was Saturday or even Friday. I can't take anymore time off work or I'd meet you for lunch.< /p>

Do go check some of the places mentioned.

Bring an umbrella

So sorry I can't meet up

Melissa, I'm so jealous! My DH leaves for San Francisco on Sunday without me. He's going to MacWorld San Francisco. I'll be home alone with the kiddies... Think your dad would watch my kids too, lol? Have a great trip! :)

It's okay...it'd be cool to meet up with folks while I'm there, I'm just not sure how and if I'll be able to. Apparently I'm going with him on to the show floor one day, he got me a ticket. (I'd much rather go to the museums LOL.) Right now I'm just hoping my little one is well before I go. She has been running a fever for 3 days...tomorrow is doctors. My dad might not want to deal with sick kids. He saw how much effort and hassle it was to get her to take her chewable motrin tonight.

Melissa