Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

41 days to wait. Looking for input while I wait!

Hi - I got my surgery date on Tues. (41 days from now...Sept. 29) and went to my first pre-op support group meeting tonight. I've got SOOO many questions that I'd probably wear out my welcome if I asked them all at my doc's office. I'm hoping for some input from those of you who have "been there/done that". One of my first questions: I have to start on my low-calorie or liquid or something diet soon. My BMI was high enough to get insurance approval without a problem, but now they say it would really be safer to lose 30-40 before surgery. I've been given several options: low cal on my own (not likely to work!); slim fast 3-2-1 plan; or Optifast. Anyone have any opinions? Any hints how not to be crabby from hunger the whole 41 days? Thanks -- I really look forward to hearing from some of you who have walked in my shoes already!

I am totally in agreement with you that the low cal diet on your own probably won't work! It didn't for me!

When I went for my consultation I weighed 250lbs....They wanted me to loose like 10-15% of my body weight before the surgery which was 6 months later....but instead I gained 2lbs!

If I had to suggest I would say do the Opti Fast. The only reason I say that is bc I am pretty sure it is what my doc's office gave to some patients who were really struggling and it was really imperative that they loose weight prior to surgery.

Might I also suggest Isopure???? I used them after surgery when I could not eat but they have 30g of Protein per bottle, it's like a juice and I lose 13lbs the week after surgery just drinking them, it would work for you before!!!

Don't hesitate to email me or private message me with any questions I am all ears!! =)

Lady LAP-BAND®®,

THANKS so much for your reply. I really needed to hear of something that worked. I have never heard of the Isopure but will def look into it. Can you find it in any general grocery store or does it need to be a health food store or pharmacy?

When I heard I needed to lose this much weight before the surgery, I about freaked and called off the whole procedure. It's not that I'm not willing to do the work; it's just that I'm so skeptical as it is. NOTHING has ever worked for me, so I can't believe there is really something that will help me change my life like this. I hope and pray it will, but it almost felt like a "bait and switch" -- come for this procedure and oh, by the way, you're going to have to do it on your own for the next six weeks and have all the usual dieting issues. Oh, well, if I have to, I have to and I will!

I went to a support group meeting last night and they all talk about how they "didn't feel like cooking, but knew they needed a healthy meal" and so did it anyway. That was kind of discouraging too. Not at the point in life where I want to start cooking again. I got a new stove and oven recently for looks -- don't intend to use it and mess it up! :-) Do you cook every meal? What are healthy quick meals that I can do for lunch and dinner without a lot of prep or clean-up? What about small Lean Cuisine meals and that kind of thing?

Again, thanks for your reply. I am so in the dark, nervous, and feel out of control (which is disconcerting to me) so I could really use an ally in this adventure. I think with a little bit more information about what eating will be like for the next six weeks and then afterward, I'll feel a lot more comfortable.

Hi. My surgeon required that I lose 10% body weight. My surgery had to be postponed for other reasons and I ended up loosing about 15%. Prior to starting this journey I was already excercising an hour a day 6-7 days a week. For the first three months I was on a low calorie/carb diet with excercise (lost 30 pounds); the second three months I substitued 1-2 meals a day for whey Isolate Protein shakes (lost another 24 pounds). Having to go to the doctors office every couple weeks to get weighed is a motivator to eat right and exercise.

I think it is really important to find an excerise programe you can stick to. I go swiming (even have a Water proof MP3 player) and I've got to the point where if I don't go I really miss it.

Keep in mind that your doctor might require you to do a 2 week presurgery liquid diet and then a 3 weeks post op of clear, full, mushy foods. Personally I would try to eat less of solid foods on your own so that you spend less time presurgery on liquids.

I am 8 days post op and was so excited today to eat Tomato Soup (and I don't really like tomato soup).

Hi - Thanks for your reply! I really appreciate the advice. Congrats on your completed surgery. How do you feel? Are you less hungry now? Looking forward to hearing about your success which will inspire me to do well on that pre-op diet for a better result!