Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Words from the Wise

Hi Everyone,

I just got the most exciting news!!! :smile2: Insurance has approved my surgery 100%. That means next Friday August 27 is the big day!! I am sooo excited and so nervous all at the same time. I have never had surgery before so I wanted to ask people about thier experiences. Please tell the good, bad and ugly regarding your lapband surgery. What should I expect!?!

Best Regards,

KT

My surgery went very smoothly and recovery was uneventful. I wish you the same! Good luck in your new life :thumbup:

Congrats !! You guys are so lucky with insurance!!

After I had finished saving for it I was so excited to finally get it done.

No nerves at all, just excitement!!

Apart from a slight recovery prob it all went super smooth and I'm sure yours will too :biggrin:

All the best !

Rach.

Congrats on being approved!!

As for what you asked:

Good: You lose weight. You get healthier. Smaller clothes. More confidence. You just overall feel so much better.

Bad: Sometimes people have difficulty with recovery, ie. gas pains. Your port will be sore for a few weeks but that is truly minimal pain.

Overall surgery was a breeze. Walk when you can and drink your Water.< /span>

Again, congrats and good luck!

Hmmmm I was banded on Monday.

Good: Repaired Hiatal Hernia. No appetite. Happy I finally did. Survived surgery.

Bad: Surgery was delayed, went in about 2 hours late. Can't lift my 24lb son for long periods of time or play with him like I used to. Thankful for help from husband. Not able to drink anything for almost 48 hours, that was terrible. Couldn't drink anything the day of surgery or after surgery because of Barium swallow the next day. Very hard to sleep and get comfortable, laying on side is painful (no uncomfortable, put PAINFUL). Prescribed Hydrocodone which makes me extremely drowsy, hard to function while taking this medication. Very difficult to walk around and stand up straight after the surgery. The Barium swallow was horrible. I had to swallow a thick yellow liquid then a thick white liquid. I had to swallow it when I felt horrible and I had to swallow alot of it.

Tips: If you have kids, arrange for some help with them at least for two weeks. Be prepared to be in pain (uncomfortable) for a few weeks.

Monday night I rode with my husband to Dallas (2 hours away), spent the night in a hotel, had surgery Tuesday at 8 am, was on my way home by 11 am, rode 2 hours in the truck and felt fine, used the pain medicine that night to get to sleep, rested on Wednesday and went back to work on Thursday.