Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fills in Mexico vs US

How many Mexico bandsters have returned there for fills and how many have them done in US? What was your experience?

I am trying to decide the best way to go for my 1st fill. My daughter-in-law just had a fill from hell in Nashville!

When I went last month for my fill in Mexico there were several people (probably 10 or more) who had traveled from all over the country to receive their fill from Dr. Kuri. A couple of them had said that Dr. Kuri was a little more aggressive with fills than US doctors, which is what they were looking for - a good fill. Another person had a bad experience using another doctor and others found it was cheaper flying to San Diego and traveling to Mexico than it was to go to their neighborhood fill doctor.

I am lucky - I live about 5 miles from the border!

Good luck with your decision. The fill I received from Dr. Kuri was perfect!

I have not had my surgery yet (set for 1/12) but I do plan on returning to Dr. Kuri to have them done. I have desparately looking for a fill doctor in MN/WI that I could go to in case of an "emergency" (you know - un-fill, etc). Help if anyone knows of a WILLING one.

Going Back was always my pick for I had read so many stories of inexperienced and overly cautious docs in the States. I was self-pay and didn't have hundreds of dollars to pay out every month or two.

But my experience in going back to my surgeon was SO MUCH MORE than I had ever expected -- see my story here -- what talent in hitting "sweet spots" in only one fill.... :banana

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/showthread.php?t=12718

The distance there is somewhat over 250 miles for me, and smooth open highways all the way, only a few stoplight towns to slow me down. The doctor has someone in a city two and a half hours away who will pick people up from the airport and make a day trip, getting you back to the airport later in the day (or to a hotel if you prefer to spend a night). Southwest Airlines is so competitive and when Jet Blue invades Texas this spring, there will be price wars.

I prefer to take the bus, along with my favorite pillow, some Snacks, something to drink and a good book. So cheap. Some prefer the train as it is the same price. You can take a cab across the border for the 5 or so blocks to the private hospital where his office is upstairs.

I was banded on 11/3/05 in Tijuana, Mexico by Dr. Huacuz and haven't needed a fill yet. Since I am so close (San Diego), I have gone back for my after care and will go back to him for my fills.

Imalene,

I can't help you in Mn/Wi but if you drive to Bismarck, the dr here will treat Mexico patients. Dr. Schmit is great and nice. His pa is doing the fills now and he is really good at hitting the 'sweet spot'. I know its a heck of a drive from Wisconsin but its an option that is available. You probably have cheaper flights to San Diego than we do here but flights from ND are expensive!! If you want more details on Dr. Schmit, pm me.

Celeste