Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need help from +4 week bandsters please :)

Hi all,

I've been banded for almost 4 weeks and I really have some questions that most on youtube cant seem to answer!

I've read that some of you have had restriction right off the bat... My band seems very tight, it only allows me to eat almost 1/2 cup of food (I'm on the last week of mushy/soft foods), I have zero hunger and have actually had a hard time adjusting to not feeling hunger!

So what I'm wondering is if those of you who have had a similar experience could tell me, is it possible i'm still healing (even though I'm a very quick healer) or could it be that I have restriction from the start.

Yes, I'm kinda asking for a crystal ball prediction, but its just so hard to find others with the same experience :)

In the mornings it is so tight I can only have a Protein Shake over 2 hours. I thought I would be brave this morning and try some well soaked quinoa puffs, after 3 teaspoons I was completely full and had to walk around as it wasn't sitting right !:cursing:

Can anyone encourage me with similar stories? Please??

Thanks, Rach.

Urban Wasteland

At 4 weeks post-op you may still be a little swollen. Until about 6-weeks your body is still healing and getting used to the band. I too had restriction from surgery and today I still have it, without any fill. While I'm not extremely tight at anytime/date, I can eat 3/4 cup to 1 cup of food and be satisfied.

So, while you may be like me and have restriction from surgery and not need a fill until later on, you could just be healing still. The stomach is a pretty sensitive organ so swelling up to 6-weeks post op is not rare! Give it a week or two more and see how you feel then, though it's nice to have restriction off the bat!

You may still be healing and so you're still tight. It could also be that your doctor did put liquid in your band during the surgery. I know my surgeon does put a little bit of liquid (I believe .50 or .75cc) during the surgery.

If you want to find out if you have any liquid in your band, call your doctor. Everyone's experience is different for sure. :cursing:

I was really similar to you. I'm now 6 wks post op and nut didn't give me a fill, since I'm doing good without it. I can eat about 3/4 to 1 cup of food. I can eat more at times, but usually later in the day. I don't usually allow myself to eat a lot even if I could.

He did say most people have anywhere from 1-3 cc's in their band. Something like when they flush out the line and then cut it, some cc's remain. I would suspect you probably have some saline.

Enjoy it while it lasts! I'm hoping mine continues!

You probably have a combination of both things going on. Not all of us (myself included) go through "bandster hell." My first fill was at 8 weeks post-op (instead of the 5 weeks I was scheduled for). I had just started to get hungry about 2 hours after eating a 4 oz meal so I went in. I only have 2 cc (.5 cc from surgery) in my band and it brought me back to the same feeling I had post-op and I am content with just 4 oz of food.

When you do decide to go in for your first fill, I'd ask how much you have in your band. In addition to the the primer fill that I had there was also air which was taken out with my first fill.

Also, with being tight in the morning, I've heard that a lot and experience it myself. I start my morning with (decaf) coffee and that really seems to help (warm tea also). I don't usually have Breakfast until 3 hours after I wake up. Usually around noon I start eating. LOL

Take advantage of not being hungry while you can. Move and exercise!

Thanks guys :lol:

Yeah, I forgot to mention I have 3cc baseline in my band and I have the APS (small 10ml) one.

Luckily I exercise an hour a day so all is going well.... I think just not being able to get enough fibre in is bringing me down a little - the fibre substitutes just dont work right with me.

I'm 44lbs (20kg) down now which is awesome (4 weeks post op & 3 weeks pre-op)

Rach.

Urban Wasteland