Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello All,

I was just wondering how long you waited till you acutally started or were able to exercise comfortably. I am 4 days post-op and I am still having some pain especially where the port is. Most often when I stand up. I am walking but I can only do so much. My breathing isnt the greatest either. It hurts to take a deep breath.

Also when you did start what did you do. Biking, walking, weights etc.

my doc said take it easy for a couple weeks than only do aerobic stuff, no weights til 6 weeks. then he wants a full mix up of strength training and aerobics.

I hate to exercise so that works for me but I have started biking and have found it is much easier after only dropping 25 lbs. I am sure it will get better and better as the lbs come off.

I cant miss a day either none of the Monday, Wed, Friday stuff, it's all or nothing. Only up to 20 mins /day on the bike but will get it up to 30 soon. still hate it but is getting tolerable.

Hi there,

I am 4 weeks post op and it hurts when you breath because there is still co2 gas in your muscles from the surgery, your shoulder or chest may be sore for about 7 to 10 days after surgery. It is normal.

Don't excersice at this point it will only rip your stiches out and that will set your healing back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is normal to be sore around your port you may even still have brusing, it will hurt off and on for about a month or so but it will get better. I can finally sleep on my side and my incisions are healing well but I still have stiches after a month.

Keep on your liquid diet and when you get on normal food in 3 weeks you can go back to excersing.

For now walking around your block is good.

weight.png

My doctor recommended nothing but walking for the first 2 weeks. And walking at that was more like a stroll. I walked around the block once every few hours. Seriously helped with the pain.

After the 2 weeks was up we were free to start any exercise we wanted. The advice was to start slowly and stop if something doesn't feel right.

I haven't stopped moving since surgery... LOL

I was strongly encouraged to walk as much as I could tolerate from the immediate postop period onward.

I was told to avoid other exercise until my first postop check (4 weeks), after which I was cleared for all activity, including abdominal exercises.

It sounds as though you're right where I'd expect you to be 4 days postop. Port site pain can be pretty persistent---but there is little risk of injury if you stick to the basics until you are cleared by your surgeon for more strenuous activity.

I was told to walk as much as possible during my recovery. At my post op 6 weeks I got the clearance for all types of exercise- including weights.

My doc told me to walk around the house as much as possible to keep circulation going and prevent blood clots. She told me I could start walking/light jog after two weeks post op. Only do what you can tolerate right now. Your body is healing and you don't want to over do it and hurt yourself. Take care! :)