Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What did you wear surgery day?

I am wondering what I should wear to the hospital, because I am wondering what would be most comfortable to wear home. I assume I don't want anything tight around the waist, so I was thinking of actually wearing a casual cotton dress.

A cotton dress is probably a good idea. I wore a loose shirt and stretchy shorts that had a low waste.

I had sweats and a sportsbra. I wore them in and I wore them out with flip flops!

i plan on wearing a cotton dress also and if i can no bra cuz all of mine are underwire, flip flops cuz really do i wanna bend down to tie shoes i dont think so...

I am wondering what I should wear to the hospital, because I am wondering what would be most comfortable to wear home. I assume I don't want anything tight around the waist, so I was thinking of actually wearing a casual cotton dress.

I wore a loose cotton dress that was calf-length, slip-on sandals, and nothing else. I didnt want to bend, stoop, or have move any more than absolutely necessary. I took my new lapband med alert necklace with me and put it on just before I left the hospital. The nurses all came over to see and admire it...which made me feel good :)

hiddn

I wore a loose cotton dress that was calf-length, slip-on sandals, and nothing else. I didnt want to bend, stoop, or have move any more than absolutely necessary. I took my new LAP-BAND® med alert necklace with me and put it on just before I left the hospital. The nurses all came over to see and admire it...which made me feel good :)

hiddn

This is the first I have heard about a Lap-Band med alert necklace...I hadn't thought about having to get one...

This is the first I have heard about a Lap-Band med alert necklace...I hadn't thought about having to get one...

Not everyone wears one. I have a necklace and Bracelet, I switch off. I spoke with a paramedic when I took a CPR class recently. He thought it was a good idea because they might wonder what the port was, as mine is very easy to feel now that my weight is normal. He said that if they used an automated defibrilator that the location of my port is right where they would normally put the pad, so knowing that is what it is, they'd put the pad elsewhere.

But, not all ports are where mine is, to the left of my belly button.

My ID says, "Gastric Lap-Bad with Abdominal Port, no N/G W/O Scope." You can also put No Blind N/G. This alerts them that you have a tiny opening into your stomach and that placing a tube can be difficult.

I also have my emgergency contact info. Some have their surgeon's contact on theirs.

As to the topic, I can't remember what I wore into the hospital, it was much too early :) But coming out, I had a cotton nightgown and robe, and a pair of slippers. I didn't care if it was PJs. I was going home and to bed anyway. Less effort than having to change. And it ain't no fashion show!

I am going to be flying for 3 hrs each way so I am wearing a loose dress also and a stretch bra from Walmart, loose undies as well and sandals. I am worried about the pain level flying home and the wait until the flght.

Not everyone wears one. I have a necklace and Bracelet, I switch off. I spoke with a paramedic when I took a CPR class recently. He thought it was a good idea because they might wonder what the port was, as mine is very easy to feel now that my weight is normal. He said that if they used an automated defibrilator that the location of my port is right where they would normally put the pad, so knowing that is what it is, they'd put the pad elsewhere.

But, not all ports are where mine is, to the left of my belly button.

My ID says, "Gastric Lap-Bad with Abdominal Port, no N/G W/O Scope." You can also put No Blind N/G. This alerts them that you have a tiny opening into your stomach and that placing a tube can be difficult.

I also have my emgergency contact info. Some have their surgeon's contact on theirs.

As to the topic, I can't remember what I wore into the hospital, it was much too early :) But coming out, I had a cotton nightgown and robe, and a pair of slippers. I didn't care if it was PJs. I was going home and to bed anyway. Less effort than having to change. And it ain't no fashion show!

Where did you get the bracelet if i may ask i never heard of that either good idea...

I will be wearing loose clothing and flip flops. Please let us know where you can order the necklace or bracelets.

Loose shorts, loose t-shirt and a looser golf shirt over that so no bra required. Flip-flops for shoes. I wore the same basic outfit yesterday for my port revision surgery too. Funny, one of the nurses called me 'Slim' and suggested that I buy some better-fitting shorts. That was definitely a NSV. :)

Pretty sure the bracelets can be purchased on eBay.

I plan to wear a maxi-dress , sports bra and flip-flops.

Easy on, easy off.

I wear mostly Spanx when I go out to hold in the jiggle so I will have to dig up a pair of undies to wear in and out.

I carry a medical directive in my Wallet so I will probably have the fact that I have a port put on that. I can't see wearing a Bracelet or necklace saying that I have a port. Not my style and I wouldn't want everyone asking me what that is.

I understand those that do though. To each his own.

Hi Guys! I was just about to start a thread about medical ID bands. I'm purchasing mine through Lauren's Hope. You can google it and the website will pop-up. Medical bands aren't my style either, but after my mom purchased a GORGEOUS one for my sister, I started checking them out. They look like normal beaded bracelets. If someone notices it and asks, I will use it as an opportunity to share my success!

As for the what to wear to the hospital question- I actually just bought a really comfy pair of stretchy pants, and a loose fitting boyfriend tee from Target. It was the perfect choice! Its soooo comfortable! I actually plan to go back tomorrow to purchase some more of the Boyfriend Tee's so I will have plenty of choice to lounge in after my surgery!

21 days and counting!

Where did you get the Bracelet if i may ask i never heard of that either good idea...

There have been several threads on the topic of alert bracelets here.

I got mine from American Medical ID. I have a sterling silver bracelet and a dog tag style necklace. (If we ever get coffee I can show you!)

I would caution against getting one that is too jewelry looking. I say that because I have a watch that has info engraved on the back and the Caduceus on the front. The paramedic I spoke with said that 1. they will not remove it to read the back and 2. they would not even notice that is was a medical info item. In an emergency situation they are quickly assessing the situation and are looking for big charms and tags that are easy to spot, or wallet cards.

My wallet is so jam packed that a wallet card would not be easily found. :)

I tuck the necklace under my clothes when not at work, and when at work, I use it as a lanyard and clip my ID to it. So it does double duty.

All of the "jewelry looking" bracelets have a medical alert charm. It would defeat the purpose of wearing a medical alert Bracelet if first responders thought it was jewelry. It all comes down to preference, to each his own. I would invite everyone to take a look at the bracelets and necklaces from Lauren's Hope. There are a lot of different styles, and lots of room for engraving medical information!

I just purchased this one:

http://www.laurenshope.com/product/1466/I9/isle-of-capri--medical-id-bracelet/size

Edited by rkwilliams1013
Wanted to add a link