Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Belly is very puffy 3 days after surgery..is this normal?

okay, my belly was puffy to begin with, i know. : ) but it looks to me to be even bigger than before. is this unusual...could it just be swelling? i plan on calling my doc in the am

It's almost certainly post-op swelling. I've felt/looked like like a barrell for the last week since I came out of hospital.

In fact I had to keep my pyjamas on for two days because all my trousers were too tight. I wouldn't worry about it, it's just your body doing what it needs to recover.

mine was and still is puffy. I feel a lump inside where the big incision is. doc said its normal... okie dokie then LOL !!!

Don't panic :D

This is day 7 for me and I am still puffy. I am starting to experience hunger a little, I have stayed the same weight for 3 days. I know that I am still in a sort of shock stage, sleep alot and only want to watch tv (qvc) and thats just fine with me. I want to heal well and then get serious, so six weeks out I expect to start really working. I wonder also how long I will stay puffy and gassy. I miss swimming, and curves. I want to get Christmas deco going but too puffy!! so I think I will have myself a puffy little Christmas now!

thanks all for your replys. i hope it does not take 4 weeks either...i was hoping that by the time i went back to work my pants would not be so tight : ).

victoria-i am 5 days out and started experiencing hunger yesterday. not bad but i certainly felt like i could eat more than my broth and sugar free pudding!! i am losing every day so it has motivated me to ignore it...but when the losing stops it will be difficult to continue on just the liquids...but i know i can do it : )

thanks for your support everyone!!

It has been a week for me since my surgery-I am a little puffy AND a little sore still. I went back to work yesterday and wish I could have taken more time off. My weirdest side effect to date is a really sore throat! Has anyone else experienced this? I can't figure out why my throat would hurt-there was no tube inserted, so why ismy throat sore????

As fo r food, I copied a diet from someone here yesterday that allowed baked potatoes on the seventh day...HALLELUJAH!!!! I had half a baked potato for dinner last night and it was the most delicious thing I've ever tasted in my life.

i had a sore throat for the first day, that was it. i have a little cough every once in a while with some flem, i do not know if that is my pudding coming up or just a bit of a cold starting.....i live in pennsylvania and it is very cold and we have snow on the ground!!

i can only have full liquids for the next two weeks. that includes broth, Soups, puddings, juices, etc. the following two weeks i start the mushy stage, mashed potatoes, eggs, cottage cheese... what a way to spend the holidays...lol..honestly, i could not be happier

DiSanders - You did have a tube inserted once you were knocked out. They take the tube out before you wake up. I would be shocked to learn you were not tubed during the process. It's one of those just in case measures.

My throat was sore for about 3 days but coughing helped it clear up. I think the tube gave me more pain than any other part of the surgery. Weird huh?

DiSanders, I agree that you had a tube too its sop. he he Drink lots of Water, it will help move the residue of anesthesia out of your lungs, its necessary and dont be surprised if there any old blood in your spitum. Breath deeply as you can every once in a while and be prepared for that to stimulate a cough. Were you sent home with a breathing apparatus that measures your out or in flow? I got mine before surgery and was instructed how to use it.