Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Journey Begins 8/13!/Day Surgery??/Time off?

Friday I will meet with the nurse clinician, have blood drawn, EKG MMPI etc. I am excited and apprehensive at the same time.

Bariatrics at the clinic/hospital I go to have started doing lapband in 1 day surgery (you go home same day). Has anyone out there had this experience and would you recommend it?

Also, I am a RN in a very busy unit. Can you give me guidelines on when I could anticipate returning to work. It can be a physically and mentally demanding job.

Hi there,

I am an Occupational Therapist in an acute care hospital. Needless to say, my job is fast paced and requires heavy lifting of patients. I had to be out of work (per MD order) for 2 weeks but I felt physically well enough to go back after 1 week. My recommendation is to take the time off your doctor recommends and take care of yourself. This is a big change in lifestyle and takes some time to get used to. The other thing is to listen to your body...when you go back to work you will be a little on the tired side from not being as active (at least I was). Ease into it and don't overcommit yourself if you can help it!

:) Katie

Thank's Katie for your response. I work at least 2/12 hour shifts and an 8 hour each week and have some concerns about returning full speed. It's so busy and we are cut little to no slack. I will have to talk with my surgeon. I am not sharing any of this with my co-workers or supervisor (it's not of their business), however they will expect me to function at top speed.

How will I manage this?

I am also not telling anyone at work about my lapband, however they do know that i am going through surgery for a health issue that i have not disclosed to them. So at least they realize that i will be in a delicate condition when i come back to work. My surgery is also on the 13th, i had my blood test today and all paperwork done. Can't wait!! :thumbup:

Best wishes to you!!

This is such a personal journey including your decision to tell people. There are some people I have shared with, people that I trust. There are others that are noticing that I am losing weight but I just tell them I am increasing my exercise and time at the gym while watching my portion sizes....its true without telling them I went through with this procedure. I am not ashamed about it, I think it is the best thing I could have done for myself. I just know how they are and what they would say. I am making myself healthier and no matter what path I took, it is MY path.

Gracierose...I really felt pretty good within a week but because of lifting precautions, had to take 2 weeks off. Going back to work was kind of like coming back from vacation...you know how when you start off really slow and then pick up. I just wouldn't plan to do much after work when you get back. Do you have enough vacation time or sick time to take 3 weeks off just to be sure you are ready to go back???

:) Katie