Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

can someone give me info on pre-op liquid diet

Hey there!

My surgery is scheduled 8/26. My Dr asked that I do a liquid diet one week prior. I have a pre-op appointment for a little over a week before and the coordinator is out on vacation until then. Wondering if someone could give me info on the liquid diet. I am SO anxious and would feel better to get the info now rather than wait.

Thanks!

All doctors seem to have different versions of their pre-op diet. I can tell you what mine wants from me...

This week I'm on high Protein, low carb. So I have 3 Protein shakes a day- they said I could put greek yogurt in them to make more of a smoothie too, and I'm allowed a light dinner of lean white meat (chicken/fish- small piece no bigger than palm of hand) and a light salad... but no food night before surgery, just Protein Shakes. I can also have broth or sugarfree popsicles or sugarfree Jello.

Honestly, it's not too bad. I am hungry and I've never looked more forward to salad in my life, but it's only really bad when I have to see other people eating- so when the fam eats I just go watch tv in the bedroom.

And I can honestly say I haven't cheated once! 48 hours from now I will be in surgery!

I'm on a two-week pre-op diet. I have surgery the 24th of August. I have two high Protein Shakes per day and then for dinner I have either a Smart Ones or a Lean Cuisine. I do tend to get hungry about 9 pm and have cheated with crackers. I can have Crystal Lite, and sugar-free frozen popsicles. Hope that helps, and all surgrical groups are different.

I thought it was odd after reading all of your posts that my doc didn't require a pre-op diet, he only said not to gain anything, because it would make my liver larger. However, I want to do a pre-op diet on my own just to jump start the surgery. I think I'm going to be doing a two week liquid/light meal diet and am scheduled for surgery September 2nd.

My pre-op diet is 10 days.

I'm allowed 4 Protein Shakes per day, made with skim milk.

I can also have cucumber, canteloupe, watermelon and grapes. He has recently added one banana per day as well. He did not place a limit on the fruits and cucumber because he knows people have the urge to chew food, and figures if he makes it pure liquids, nobody would be able to follow it for the full 10 days.

I can also have sugar free jell-O and sugar free popsicles but honestly, I haven't wanted them. Most of the sugar free stuff tastes like chemicals to me these days.

Good luck!

My preop diet is 14 days long. I have to drink 3 Protein shakes (Bariatric Advantage brand) and if absolutely necessary i can have an additional 2 shakes as Snacks.

Aside from that I can have Water, sugar free Jello and popsicles. I can also do crystal light, but i'm allergic so none for me!

I thought it was drastic, but it's really gotten me used to how it's really going to after after the operation. I'd also rather be safe than sorry with the fatty liver business.

My insurance required 6 months nutritional counseling, so we did an Atkins based diet where I started out at 55g of carbs and was gradually reduced to 20 g of carbs.

I am happy to say I haven't cheated at all except for a communion wafer at church! Surgery is friday morning :thumbup:

Edited by Angera

Am scheduled for 8/26. My pre-op was basically the Adkins Diet, limiting carb intake to less than 40 carbs/day. Not starving here... and after reading others, guess I'm lucky. I am prepared for post-op diet - Clear Liquids, and am somewhat testing myself by going one day with 2 out of 3 meals as high-protein/low carb drinks or a clear liquid. Time is passing quickly. Found a website: www.livingstrong.com Great diet databank... MyPlate tab is wonderful and easy to track carbs/calories/sugars/fat intakes.

As someone else mentioned, every doctor and practice are different, so your program may not look anything like ours! For me, it was about three weeks of two Protein shakes a day, with one "sensible meal" -- that meant baked, lean meat (poultry or fish) and either broccoli or green Beans. I probably could have substituted an occasional Lean Cuisine, had I been of a mind to. If I got hungry and needed to snack (of course, this was discouraged), I could have a cheese stick, some lean deli meat or cheese, or a boiled egg.

I found the whole diet very doable. Two days before surgery, I went to clear liquids; that was very doable, too, for me.

Good luck to you!