Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gallbadder removal following Banding?

I am going in next Wednesday to have my gallbladder removed. I was just wondering if anyone else has had to have this done following banding. I had the band placed on 4-14-10.

I was wondering how many people have had to have this done following the surgery, and also, what the pain level is like compared to getting the band.

I am also nervous about how surgery will affect the band and how much swelling will occur in my stomach related to it. Any advice is appreciated!!

hello,

i had my gallbladder taken out on july 22nd 2010. i had my band place on july 31st 2009. to me, i say gallbladder hurt more than the band.

i had swelling but i dont think anything affected the band, everything was fine.

just when you come out, make sure to get up and walk as much as possible like the band. i dont know how many inscissions your surgeon will be doing but mine did 5 and the painful one was the belly button one. but i thought the band was less painful

I had mine out several years ago before getting banded. I had it out on a Friday and was at a party the following night. It was nothing to me. Hopefully yours will be just as smooth.

I had my GB out 3 months out from banding. I found the GB surgery less bothersome than banding.Primarly the gas pain did not happen with my GB surgery. Also my surgeon did'nt create another cut sight he just went thru one already there. Good luck

I had mine out 4 years ago and I was not prepared for how much pain I had! I had talked to friends who had it done and one had hers out on a Tuesday and was mountain biking on Saturday. I woke up and thought for sure something had gone wrong in surgery because of the pain level, but nope... all went perfectly! It was 2 weeks out of work and over a month before I wasn't "in pain". My bellybutton was the worst... where they put everything in and out of. It hurt to have pants on, or bend, or breathe, or get up from a chair...

Being banded on Friday and they tell me it's similar to the gallbladder so I'm a little nervous. But like others have said- some have virtually no pain from it, and then there's me. But the surgery pain was not as bad as the gallbladder attacks I had for months... I thought I was overdoing it with crunches at the gym for a few weeks until it got so bad I was literally woken from sleep and laid on the bathroom floor unable to move from the attack.

Here's to hoping you're nothing like me!!!!

I had mine out a month ago and I was banded back in Feb. I slept a lot the day of but the next day I was feeling pretty good. For me, the pain was not bad. I did however reach up too high to grab a heavy casserole dish and slightly pulled open an incision so be careful of those incisions.

Best of Luck

I was banded 12/17/09, GB removed 5/27/10. I was expecting my GB recovery to be like my band recovery, but it was a breeze! The only problem was the first night when I went to bed after the GB surgery, the gas pain hit my right shoulder so hard I couldn't breathe! I needed help to get up to walk around, then I took some pain meds, then slept on the couch rather than in bed. I didn't need any of the assistance after my GB surgery like I did my band surgery, except for that one incident of gas pain.

Good luck!

Oh, be sure to ask your GB surgeon about the chances of developing pancreatitis after the surgery. I got it 3 weeks later due to some of the gall stones being in my common bile duct, was admitted to the hospital for 4 days, then had them removed using ERCP (a scope through my mouth & stomach into my common bile duct to remove the stones/sludge). I'd much rather have band surgery & GB surgery again than having pancreatitis! That sucked big hairy monkey balls!!:)