Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

gaining steady before banding...

Since I made up my mind about getting the band - I've stopped the CONSTANT

Fat-talk to myself and have relaxed thinking that better things are ahead for me. I have now gained 10 lbs in the last 10 days and today I realize that I can not let my guard down - not now - probably not ever. But, it gets so tiring. Anyone else have problems like this before they were banded?

Patti

Its been one of those situations where I actually do well. If I've got something coming up where I know its likely I'll gain, for some reason I'm really good at taking myself in hand and being strict and avoiding the gain. So I havent eaten everything not nailed down but I am indeed slowly enjoying my favourite things before my surgery on Friday.

But I'm useless at real deprivation and actually losing weight. I'm a good maintainer when I choose to be. Most of my excess weight I gained during breastfeeding, which I've done for six years all up. I just bloat up like porky pig and gain the whole time I'm doing it. The gaining always slowed with each feed I dropped and stopped completely when I weaned my babies. It's bizarre, I thought breastfeeding was supposed to make you thin.

Try to think in terms of what you are about to put your body through. It's very stressful on the body gaining and losing weight. You're about to have surgery. Try to treat yourself a little more kindly and go in in the best condition you can. I'm obsessed with supplements at the moment, Vitamins, Iron, flax seed. but I must say I feel fantastic.

I gotta tell you, before I had surgery I tried to gain weight! I ate everything in site from my pre op appointment to the week prior to surgery. Strange thing was, I never gained a pound. Someone told me I was eating for future hunger.

You can deprive yourself after surgery. Enjoy and Celebrate food for now and know that you won't be able to eat this much again. I'm still glad I have my band but I do miss the late night splurge on pizza. I don't miss the 20 lbs the band has helped me lose!

I gained about 5 or so before surgery. I just quit worrying about it. I really really enjoyed some favorite "last suppers". But I like the weight I have lost better.

Stay in good shape before your surgery by not going overboard. 10 pounds in 10 days is a good bit! But do enjoy your food. It's a whole other world after banding.

I gained BIG time! Once I made the appointment, I quit even trying to regulate myself. I was eating creme sticks for Breakfast, fast food for lunch, and snacking all night. I gained at least 30 pounds-but now I know it will be the LAST 30 pounds I ever gain!!

I have a six month approval wait to document wls. I have also put on weight. I find myself stressed all the time. I never used to eat from stress, it would always be the opposite. I stopped eating when under stress in the past. I don't know what is making this time so different. I hate to think how big I'll become at the end of the six months :)

I put on alot of weight pre band too. I had all the last suppers of all my fave foods I thought I would never be eating again. Well sitting here 8mths later with pretty good restriction there is nothing I really cant eat if I am careful...so all that binging trying to get everything on was a waste. Actually I can eat steak but I find it so not worth the chewing chewing for so long...so if you like a good sized steak Id recomend that, because I dont think I have seen anyone here who is properly restricted and can eat steak easily. Anyhow I really wouldnt worry too much about the weight gain, but I do look back and wish I hadnt put on so much pre op because it was so much more I had to lose.

Good Luck :(

I gained weight too, about 10 pounds too. I was on steroids for asthma.

10 pounds in 10 days has to have a large Water componnent. My DH gained more than 100 pounds our first year of marrage and didn't gain that fast.

Yes I did. Right after deciding to have surgery I couldn't stop eating. Just write everything down that you eat with the calories for now. It is good to see what you are eating and the number of calories can be a real turn off. Start practicing your good food choices. They still taste good.

Thanks for all your comments about gaining wgt before the surgery. I think my gaining might be tapering off - as I've become a LITTLE less aprehensive about the surgery.

It was/is really wierd. Part of it was simply not obsessing over every bite I put in my mouth. Such a relief.

But! I allowed my self into any sweets I wanted - which normally it's not so much the sweets as it is the "salty junk" and plainly overeating ALL types of food. So - today I've thrown out that Jumbo Hershey after reading so much about the band not helping at all when it comes to sweets! I don't need to develop that habit before the banding!

Thanks!

Patti

Very smart of you to get rid of the Hershey bar. Your so right to start re-thinking your attitude toward sweets before your surgery. God knows there will be enough adjustments...ie remembering to eat slowly, waiting to drink until 30 minuets have passed, chewing longer,etc. Any habits we can break now is only going to make things easier in the long run.

Way to go!!!!!