Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

head hunger or body hunger?

I've been at less than 700 calories for two weeks now, and I'm having some issues with this. I can only seem to manage to eat a couple of tablespoons of food at a time before I'm in danger of PBing.

I'm hungry but not hungry.

I didn't have any similar issues with my food when I was at 1000 calories. I didn't have much in the way of head hunger issues.

I know everyone has their own threshold, but how does anyone else tell the difference between head hunger and real body hunger?

I can only seem to manage to eat a couple of tablespoons of food at a time before I'm in danger of PBing.

For anyone else, I'd admonish you and say you are Too Tight!!! That ain't right. I don't have a problem with 700 calories for a few weeks, but if you CAN'T eat more or you'll PB...well...

So, will you wait it out and see if you lose resctirction? As in, testing for a leak? Just wondering.

My issues with the head vs real hunger are related to my body trying so hard to maintain it's weight. After a few days of cuttng way back, I get hungry! If I'm at my "low weight" for a few days, I get hungry! My body really is hungry because it's trying to maintain my weight while I'm trying to lose it. So I try to ignore it. I think about the food I'm feeding my body and if it's enough, I ignore the hunger signals, or do my best to eat around them...for example, eat a yogurt or apple instead of something more fattening.

Yes, I think you are probably really hungry. Use your head to decide if you should eat or not...your intelligent head, the brain one, that knows what's going into your body and makes informed decisions.

Are you too tight?

After a few days of cuttng way back, I get hungry! If I'm at my "low weight" for a few days, I get hungry! My body really is hungry because it's trying to maintain my weight while I'm trying to lose it

I am the same way!

For me this usually occurs around the 3rd or 4th day of lowering my calories to lose weight. This is also the same time frame that I can tell Im loosing (which is motivating for me to continue to eating less).

So, youve been doing this for 2 weeks now? PLEASE tell me the scale has moved?

What about trying to eat several tiny "meals" during the day? If you can only eat a couple of bites at one time, then make it often that you eat.

(((**whisper voice** I think you are too tight.)))

..and youve been doing this for 2 weeks???? And you are still sane?

Heh heh heh heh heh. I started a thread a while ago in the fill forum, entitled, "considering insanity."

Yeah, the whole point of this is to check for a leak. They don't want me to have anyone else messing with my fill level right now but them precisely to rule out a leak.

And oh yes, I am way too tight. But I'm sort of stuck until I can get home in a couple of weeks. I have 4 or 5 "meals" now, Snacks really. I DO NOT want to get in the habbit of grazing because I've been too tight. I do not want to fall into the trap of soft foods either. But I've lost two entire pounds for the month, not like the typical one pound for the month.

I know that other people are very successful at this level of caloiric intake, but I'm just dragging my ass.

But I am really interested in how poeple figure out how they can tell the difference between head and body hunger.

You guys are the best!

Head hunger vs body hunger...

head hunger = (my symptoms only) I just ate and yet Im looking for something else. OR I get distracted and forget about food for a few, then go digging around the kitchen again once I get bored.

body hunger (real hunger) = stomach growling or gas bubbles coming up (like a burp thing), Im hungry and realize that I havent eaten in X amount of hours, getting a light headed feeling, or when I look at my outside cat and having a thought of tasting/eating her cat food... well, these are the things that kinda ring a bell and make me realize I need food - fast!

If cat food seems yummy, then you are probably starving. ;-)

Another thing...

Ive never been one for these protien shakes (yuck!). But a once a day small McDonalds shake will certainly not do you any harm - and with my recent tummy troubles, I have those blessed shakes to thank for my "healing".

Paula, thanks for posting for me, that's exactly the way I feel, specially the part about McDonalds, LOL.

VQ, you and your band have really been challenged of late, keep strong, hugs!