Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

pre-op house cleaning!!! Just venting...

I'm readying the house for surgery so I don't have to worry about a messy house when I'm recovering... I just need to vent on my messy family for a minute before I resume the deep clean.

I can pick up after myself, it's picking up after 2 kids and the love of my life I can't do!!! They're all so friggin messy. Ugggg. And since my mom and grandma will be here after surgery to help out the house has to be pristine (OR they will clean it and I'll never be able to find anything again).

We have a couple of crap closets where things just get shoved... and they are shameful! We're messy cluttered people. Not dirty, just messy. I have a pile of mail in the front hall that I'm just going to shred! Closets to go through and make look organized. My laundry area... let's not even talk about that one!

My kitchen cabinets are a nightmare!!!! I don't understand why I am the only person in the house who can put the top back on the Peanut Butter or actually close a Cereal box. I know grandma will have a field day in there. And we'll be calling her for weeks asking "Where is the basil? What about the Dawn?" Mom will do laundry and fold it and put it away... and for weeks we'll have one little girl saying "EEEEW, what is Katie's underwear doing in MY room". I'm grateful for their help, but I don't want them to feel like they NEED to do all of that... I'm capable, I just hate doing it!

So I'm trying to get it all done before I'm out of commision so they don't feel the need to do it. It would be IDEAL if I could train the members of my household to help out without being nagged.

And I'm hating it... and putting it off by posting on here!!! I'm also on liquids so I'm a little cranky as it is.

thanks for letting me vent!!!

That's ok to vent that's what were here for.

I need to vent as well we should make this the venting thread ha ha....

I too have 2 kids a dear hubby and take care of 2 ladies with developmental disabilities... so needless to say my house isn't spotless, however i had my annual unannounced visit from the licensing people and they were non to kind.... I hate that! they always come when it's messy looking not DIRTY but messy... now i have to CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN and WAIT WAIT WAIT for them to come back "when ever" they feel like it.

And during all this keep up with my pre-op diet, study take a quiz and a final come tuesday....

So Good luck to all of us pre bandsters who have to actually work, clean and go to school...

I feel the same way! I honestly don't know who's messiest my kids or my dh. I bought new living room furniture in September and I picked leather. The salesman was like you made a good choice leather is nice with kids b/c it repels liquid and stains... My kids aren't the ones that spill on my furniture though my DH does. Sometimes it gets very, very annoying!!

haha! We bought new living room furniture last year and we were both insane with "Don't drink on the couch!" "Don't Eat on the couch!"... fast forward to now when I'm trying to resolve the Peanut Butter and spaghetti sauce stains off of it (along with some other un-identifiable ones). But the worst stains are on his beloved recliner!! He is wonderful but a 3rd kid sometimes! :-)

Oh, I hear you. I can cope until I start to clean and then I tend to blow my stack, DH does the same thing.

But the trouble is, none of us are tidy by nature. I cant really yell at the kids when I too have to regularly clean out my wardrobe because I shoved stuff in.

I am a ruthless thrower outerer - I do not keep clutter. Its the only way i can cope. We just dont have a lot of "stuff".

My kids are soooooo bad though. I get the house cleaned once a fortnight now that I've gone back to work, she comes on a Thursday. By the time I get home from work, they've been home from school for an hour and I dont even get to enjoy the result of my $75. It makes me SO MAD!

I've tried everything, they have jobs, they dont get pocket money if they dont do them but week after week they do half arsed jobs and dont get paid and they dont even care. Because I dont have cl utter, the mess is usually quickly tidied up, but they do awful stuff like I spend two hours on a sunday night ironing their school uniforms for the week, they have dress pants, dress shirts, a tie, a blazer etc and my daughter has a pinafore and shirt and tie, and I give them to them to put away. Do they hang them up? No. They shove them in overfilled drawers on top of old dirty socks and stupid things that shouldnt be in drawers like football boots (muddy ones). Its just absolute inconsiderate laziness. So come Monday, out them come dressed for school in wrinkled, muddy clothes and then wonder why they get detention for being dirty and unkempt! Then they expect ME to complain to the teachers to get them out of it, sheesh.

I jsut cant wait till they all move out.

We built our house, once upon a time it was brand new, with mushroom coloured carpet and new furniture, then we had babies and pretty soon the carpet looked like wall to wall pizza. I saw sense, we now have two leather lounge suites in our two living rooms and timber floors through the entire house. I will never have carpet or fabric couches again. At least when there's mess, I can clean it and it doesnt stain. We dont have drapes either, we have timber blinds. Luckily I'm not into country style, lol, my look is very minimalist and modern.

Edited by Jachut

Ive resorted to putting two ugly king size sheets on our 2 year old family room couches!!! if i can't change them i'll embarass them with a whole lot of ugly!

FYI my kids are 18, 13, and 11.

My grown kid is in his 40's -hubby.

Cracking me up!!!

I'm also messy by nature and shove things in my closet like a pro. And generally I don't care what the kids rooms look like as long as they're not ruining their things! As soon as I see something on the floor broken because they've stepped on it they have to clean their rooms... other than that I'm just asking for help keeping the living areas tidy. Love them, but agree!!!

LOL! I love that! We have wood floors also and I can't stand clutter. My idea of cleaning house is to throw stuff away.

I'm borrowing a recliner for the recovery period since a lot of people mentioned they are more comfortable for sleeping than the bed. My nephews were going to bring it over the day I got home from the hospital and ended up coming over last night. You should have seen me trying to clean before they got here! My biggest issue is mail. I have a shreader but I just put it aside and say "later" Well yesterday was later:eek:! I also had to dust. My other major downfall is the laundry room. I have a row of cabinets in there with counter top perfect for folding. Soooo anything that gets dried I fold and it stays there (hey at least everything is clean). I live alone so it's not a problem. If I'm getting guests though the laundry is attached to the down stairs bathroom and I have to put every thing away. Ugggg. Also I had to clean off the dining room table and counters and put away post op soups/protein/etc. I think I will have my mother stay in my room (first floor master); if I am going to sleep in the living room. Which means I have to wash the sheets, Duvet covers etc. While admittedly I have a nice/new kitchen I don't use it as much as it deserves. My mother says "If I had this kitchen I would just sit at the table and look at it!" Sooo needless to say it has to be clean before she comes to visit.

Also one of my friends from my old job might want to come see me while I recuperate and he has never seen my house. Which means he will want to see all of it and I will have to clean before the surgery (everyone from work knew I bought a mess of a foreclosure and rehabed 90% of the house). Urrrrggggg.

I'd love to see that myself!! I love doing home improvement stuff:) My next project is to tile the kitchen floor, utility room floor and the countertops.

I fold all my laundry at my dining table. It's nice, clean and neat it just doesn't always get put away. We eat at the island in the kitchen though.

Lol,I cook the dinners pretty much once a week because I make SO much mess when I cook. So on a weekend I just get to it, and afterwards, I have to clean it from top to bottom, usually cupboard fronts, kickboards, floor, stovetop, the lot. I absolutely cannot cook without slopping stuff everywhere.

Weekday meals that I actually cook at the time are always super duper simple, something on the barbecue and a tossed salad or basic Pasta. I cannot make anything else without getting it on the ceiling.

And hair! Oh my god, my hair!!!! It is absolutely everywhere. People on here talk about losing hair, well technically I never did, never thinned, but I just drop hair everywhere, all the time, two days after the cleaning lady's been, there's big hairballs in the bathrooms, I pull wads of it out of the drains.

Oh, and the cat's taken to sh*tting in the shower lately too. Doesnt like getting her bum wet outside in the cold.

Jacqui , im sending my hubbies two cats to live with you!!!

Yikes--I would tell Mom and Grandma to stay home and spare myself all the angst. (Seriously, you won't need help for more than a day or so--can your husband just stay home for that period?)

Believe me, I empathize. I agonized about this when I had my last baby---I lived faraway from "home," and my mother traveled to stay and "help."

It would have been a million times easier for me (and I had a c-section with complications AND another small child!) if she'd stayed home.

And banding is NOWHERE near as uncomfortable or debilitating as a c-section.

I'm a ruthless thrower-awayer, and getting more ruthless in my old age. Mail? Half of it finds its way to the recycling bin before I even walk into the house. The rest is dealt with right away. Piles drive me insane. (Don't look in my closets, though--I am in the midst of purging, and they're all a mess. 5 bags were gathered for donation just today---it's been a while since I was brave enough to go into my kids' closets...)

Edited by BetsyB

Mom's an RN... telling her to stay home (she lives 40 minutes away) is not an option! And you just don't tell grandma what to do. That woman is 75 and will out work and out walk any of us! She never quits and I don't know how the family would work without her.

I scrubbed the kitchen floor last night on my hands and knees (and my lower back is not thanking me today... another thing I am hoping losing the weight will help) and threatened the lives of anyone who didn't wipe up a spill or take their shoes off on it. Then I picked up the cheese wrappers, ice cream sandwich wrapper, and soda cans left by the lone man in the house. The girls will throw their stuff out but he's an old dog now and I just can't get him to do it!

All we have left are the kids rooms (today) and bathroom (which I don't do... it's the only room in the house I don't do and he does!!)

And at least it's giving me something to do this week! I'm really aware of not eating and finding little things to do is distracting!! re-organizing kitchen cupboards, FINALLY going through the chest freezer, sorting through the shoes in the front hall and deciding our 6 year old doesn't need 11 pairs out there... I won't get to all of the laundry but I figure mom will wash it and I can fold it while sitting. I'm expecting more laundry tonight as the girls clean their rooms and we find a pile of clothes they forgot they owned!

3 more days!!!!

PS- we also have a cat you can have Jacqui! She's a sweetie, loves to snuggle, purrs like a pro, and if there's a wet towel on the floor she loves to pee on it! You cuold have a matching set of kitties in the bathroom! She will pee on it only if it's already wet. I have found that just hanging up the towel means she won't do it but apparently I'm the only one in my home that knows this "trick". I bought all of us our own towels- 4 each with a different color and mine are the ONLY color left!!! arrrg.