Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling Discouraged :(

Hello Everyone,

I was just banded this past wednesday the 4th. I've read a lot on the forums that has put my mind to ease but still can't help myself-- I'm an emotional eater in panic mode. I'm still on an all liquid diet and I feel like CRAP, I'm so dizzy and basically have to take a nap if I sit up for 2 hours because my eyes get so disoriented (I imagine this is from a lack of Protein? ). Obviously this leads me to the predictable what the hell have I done question. I'm 23, I'm in college and have a job-- I'm starting to become worried about my ability to juggle these things on the band, and if I'll ever be able to eat normal food again (seeing as how I am often on the run). I wanted to get the band to force myself to rethink emotional/overeating, but I can't help but worry. Any words of wisdom/encouragement?

Thanks!

Amy

Hang in there! What are you drinking? Get plenty of Protein shakes, and I would suggest some with some carbohydrates in them. That dizzy feeling may be because of a lack of carbs, not Protein. (I'm NOT a doctor, though, so ymmv.) If you're drinking juice, and milk, you could stick with a more protein/low/no carb shake. Are you getting enough calories?

Another word- the band does nearly NOTHING to prevent emotional eating. It may help it stop sooner (say, when you get so full you can't eat without throwing up), but it won't stop the ice ream from going down when we're sad/mad/whatever (my nemesis.) For this problem I strongly recommend a therapist! (seriously- find a good one that deals with bariatric patients or emotional eating specifically.)

You are still VERY early in this process! It's normal to feel weak and tired only 4 days out, so don't worry. You CAN do this-- up your calories, get plenty of protein from liquids (liquid yogurt, milk, shakes), get some carbs (milk, juice, yogurt, some protein shakes). And ALLOW your body to rest. You've just had major surgery and your body needs to heal. You may be getting dizzy because you're trying to do too much.

Within the next couple of weeks you'll feel entirely normal again (really!) And you'll begin to eat real food again- but there will be a new "normal" with how you go about this (the old normal wasn't working very well anyway, was it?). You'll take smaller bites, ,chew lots, eat protein first, everything else second. You'll stop when you're full. That's it.

Just give yourself some time!

The sensations you're feeling are not due to malnutrition. They're due to recent anesthesia and surgery--and will pass.

Your body has ample fuel reserves to keep you going, even on dramatically reduced calories.

As you recover from the surgery, the weakness, dizziness, and so on will resolve :)

Do make sure that you get adequate fluid--that is very important. But otherwise, don't try to project too far into the future. You will not continue to feel this way. (It's also very typical to be scared and panicky and emotionally labile after surgery--so don't feel as though your response is unusual.)

I hope you feel better fast!

Amy, my 18 yr old was banded with me (mom) on the same day and her biggest issue in feeling weak and bad is that she is not drinking the Protein Shakes. I went to GNC and purchased the chocolate Syntha 6 Protein Powder and mix it with skim milk and it is pretty good stuff. If you drink 3 per day, one before you leave the house and at lunch and dinner you will feel so much better. During the 14 days, start walking, eat yogurt, sugar free pudding and some broth and you will make it thru. With your busy schedule, carry a jar of bouilon cubes to go in hot Water for your broth. This helps with the hunger and tastes really good when you have had nothing else. Hope this helps ya..

I found that Brown Cow Greek yogurt is wonderful stuff. It doesn't have the "bite" that other Greek yogurst sometimes do (I had to force myself to eat the yoplait Greek yogurt) and comes in 2 sizes...the regular one with 130 calories and 13 grams of Protein and a smaller on 100c/10g. It has fruit on the bottom which gives it a lot of sweetness and is easy to swallow...you could add a little Water to thin it even more to be drinkable. I am using it as a substitute for my Protein Drink and to satisfy my craving for something sweet. It also has no over sweet taste from artificial sweeteners which makes me gag so a picky person can get protein/calcium. If I want to eat emotionally...and this urge is fading fast...I have a stash of "safe foods" like the yogurt and a variety of 100 calorie packs to get me through it. As my nutrition improves I have far fewer cravings. Maybe some emotional eating is triggered by stress demanding certain nutrients we are normally low on? Makes a certain sense to me.