Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A couple workout questions for experienced fitness people

I used to work out a ton back before I got fat. I ran or took spinning classes for cardio and lifted heavy weights, training one or two body parts at a time. I used to have a trainer but now the budget doesn't allow. I'd love to get some free advice about the training practices de jour. I watch the trainers in my gym and it looks like things have changed a lot. Any pros or former pros out there?

Personally, I would stick with what you know and/or enjoy.

things have changed, but our bodies havent. If it worked for you before, it will work for you now. Its ridiculous how fads come and go in diet and fitness as if our bodies somehow work differently but if you use your head and think logically the following things hold true:

Atkins didnt work in the 60's and 70's to solve obesity and it isnt working now, people are getting fatter. Low fat high carb didnt work etiher, people got fatter. Why are people getting fatter? Coz they dont get enough activity and eat waaaaay too much of the wrong things and dont do what they know they should, not because they havent caught onto the latest magic formula.

Running used to the THE thing back in the 70's. Many people got very fit doing it. So just because its not so fashionable now, will it suddenly not work? I think not.

Arnie got huge by using the weight lifting methods that were the latest and greatest in his day. Would that somehow not work because we think we know more now?

All you have to do is SOMETHING and if you work out the way you know how, it will work. What happens to be currently fashionable is irrelevant. Dont let the the feeling that there's some "secret" to be discovered, that only a personal trainer can unlock hold you back. All it takes is some good honest effort.

And of course, today being what it is anyway, you can find everything any average personal trainer is likely to know on the internet anyway. I work out in a group with a trainer (only because I enjoy it) and believe me, he has never taught me anythign I didnt already know, and much of what he says is only current fashion that I dont particularly believe anyhow.

If you've got a history and experience of being fit, you do have what you need to do this for yourself.

very well said! =)