Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need some help with pre-op diet

Hi

I am scheduled for surgery Aug 20th 2010, today was my first day of pre-op diet and I am so stressed and worried, I am lost on what to eat and what not to, its really just hitting me. So please if anyone can help and give me some good idea I'd be most thankful...:redface:

You are going to end up with a million different answers because all doctors require different types of pre-op diets.

Mine was 2 Protein shakes (allowed to have 3 because I'm tall) and Soup for dinner. It was any type of Soup as long as it wasn't high in calories, fat, or carbs. I was allowed to have yogurt, sugar free popsicles, and cottage cheese.

If you are allowed "snacks" two that I enjoy are: low fat cheese sticks (60 cal), or Chobani Fat Free Greek yogurt (with fruit) and 2 tablespoons vanilla whey isolate Protein Powder (Less 200 calories but lots of protein). I usually need a snack between lunch and dinner (about 7 hours) esp. because I do an hour of cardio between the the two.

Hi

I am scheduled for surgery Aug 20th 2010, today was my first day of pre-op diet and I am so stressed and worried, I am lost on what to eat and what not to, its really just hitting me. So please if anyone can help and give me some good idea I'd be most thankful...:redface:

Like others have said it's up to your Doc what type of pre-op diet you need to follow as for me my Doc told me to follow a low carb/ high Protein diet like Atkins...

Breakfast: Protein shake

Snack: low carb snack bar like Atkins bar

Lunch: turkey sandwich on low carb bread (you can get that at a health food market like Henrys)

Snack: hand full of nuts

Dinner: lean Protein (beef, chicken, fish) and salad or steamed veggies....

If i get hungry and feel i want to eat more i usually have a glass of Water and if that didnt help i would make another Protein Drink.

Isopure from natures best has 0 carb Protein drinks and are actually very good!

Good Luck on your journey... :lol:

Why don't you give your surgeon's office a call and and ask for clarification? There are so many versions of pre-op diets, nobody's really going to be able to help you out on here :party:

My Doctor said low carb low sugar. I took it further because I read the horror stories of people being opened up in surgery and not getting their band because their liver was too fatty. I did no carbs no sugar for 10 days. I had all the Protein and vegetables I could eat, but it made me crazy. I agree with the others who posted to call the office for clarification. Can't hurt. Good luck!

My Doctor said low carb low sugar. I took it further because I read the horror stories of people being opened up in surgery and not getting their band because their liver was too fatty. I did no carbs no sugar for 10 days. I had all the Protein and vegetables I could eat, but it made me crazy. I agree with the others who posted to call the office for clarification. Can't hurt. Good luck!

meat has no carbs but veggies do so you gotta watch which types of veggies you eat...i do internet searches to find the carb content of the veggies i eat... Good luck

Almica... everyone is right, all surgeons are different. I had a very specific low cal, carb, fat diet. It was all spelled out for me. I wish you all the luck. It will all be worth it in the end.